Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change of calibre query

Options
  • 14-01-2019 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭

My mate has sent his 308 rifle away to be rebarreled to 6.5 creedmoor.
    He was told by his firearms officer that he could not get a sub done on his existing licence and that he would have to make a new application. He then rang the firearms policy unit and they told him the same.
    I have previously changed my rifles from a 243 to 308 and 6.5x55 to 308 without any hassle so when did the law change on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'm not certain but is 6.5 Creedmore restricted? That might be the reason, subbing an unrestricted calibre for a restricted calibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭zeissman

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I'm not certain but is 6.5 Creedmore restricted? That might be the reason, subbing an unrestricted calibre for a restricted calibre.

No it's not restricted.

zeissman wrote: »
    No it's not restricted.

Then I can't see the problem. 1 unrestricted firearm for another. Sounds strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭alanmc

I was told that subbing same for same *or* downwards in caliber size (however arbitrary this rule is) is ok. Can't see why subbing from a .308 to 6.5 CM would be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

This should be a very straight forward substitution. I would presume he wants the new calibre for the same application that the gun was originally licensed.

In short this shouldn't be a problem but obviously the Gardaí have decided to make it one.

Fill in the substitution application and hand it in. They have no good reason to refuse the substitution.

• Advertisement

This should be a very straight forward substitution. I would presume he wants the new calibre for the same application that the gun was originally licensed.

In short this shouldn't be a problem but obviously the Gardaí have decided to make it one.

Fill in the substitution application and hand it in. They have no good reason to refuse the substitution.

Gun will be used for the same reasons so I can't see the problem either. He is a member of the nargc so it might be worth giving them a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Seems very silly, i have subbed for a different caliber with the same use. Its the same rifle for god sake.
    Their level of understanding of the legislation is baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I went up in a restricted firearm from 243 to 308 and it was no problem. They just wanted to know what would be done with the .243 barrel.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Update.
    My mate contacted the nargc and they said that each firearms sub is dealt with on an individual basis and if the garda want him to make a new application he has to do so.
    I know that the super in his area will not grant anyone a moderator but anyone who had one before he was in charge was allowed to keep it. As my mate now has to make a new application he will probably be refused a moderator.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Update.
    My mate contacted the nargc and they said that each firearms sub is dealt with on an individual basis and if the garda want him to make a new application he has to do so.
    I know that the super in his area will not grant anyone a moderator but anyone who had one before he was in charge was allowed to keep it. As my mate now has to make a new application he will probably be refused a moderator.

But he will still have the mod on his old .308 licence? Can he not use that mod on his 6.5? Until the .308 licence is out.

• Advertisement

But he will still have the mod on his old .308 licence? Can he not use that mod on his 6.5? Until the .308 licence is out.

The 308 licence will be cancelled as the rifle is being rebarreled. Even so you need the S on each licence that you want to use the moderator on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Thats a load of bollox. I subbed a hmr for a .223 then the .223 for a .243 when i started shooting deer. Never had a problem, one unrestricted for another

aaakev wrote: »
    Thats a load of bollox. I subbed a hmr for a .223 then the .223 for a .243 when i started shooting deer. Never had a problem, one unrestricted for another

I know. I don't have any problem in my area either but his super is just being a prick. Unfortunately there's not much he can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Damoeire33

Id ask for the reasons in writing and pay my local solicitor a visit. Rules cant be different in each Garda station.

T'wud be nice to have that in writing. The Super would be under pressure in court to explain why he thinks his/her authority supersedes the law. Blanket bans like that are illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

There's a post on here outlining what to put down when applying for a moderator and I think it'd be very hard for anyone to go against.

Personal health and safety with regard to hearing loss.
    Animal welfare when hunting around farm buildings.

I put in my application that the moderator would reduce the noise level from where it would cause permanent hearing loss, to just below that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Our Super is the same. No new moderator licences are granted.
    "Public Safety" card played, and invitation to go to Court if I don't agree...

EWM2XR6.jpg

ImZ0LqD.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

@Neckarsulm - I'm trying to get my head around 'public safety' and refusal of a moderator in the same sentence. Can you explain, please, for a dumb furriner?

Also Battlecorp's post #16 - I always understood that AGS were the guardians of the law, not the interpreters of the law based on their own personal agenda.

I guess I've had it wrong all these years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

tac foley wrote: »
    @Neckarsulm - I'm trying to get my head around 'public safety' and refusal of a moderator in the same sentence. Can you explain, please, for a dumb furriner?

Also Battlecorp's post #16 - I always understood that AGS were the guardians of the law, not the interpreters of the law based on their own personal agenda.

I guess I've had it wrong all these years.

It's a catch-all phrase that means "we are calling the shots here".

In a follow up phone call to the Guard who deals with licences, I was actually told that a moderator ( they called it a Silencer) was contrary to public safety because someone could be walking along the other side of the hedge and not realise shooting was taking place ......

Too much TV being watched.....

You couldn't pin them down as having implemented a blanket ban either, because people who have had moderators on the licences from Before the Superintendent took charge, still get the required licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Nekarsulm wrote: »

I got the exact same response with my last rifle application, and was told under no circumstances were any new moderator licences being granted, so no point in applying as it would be refused, so I didn't (then they went and gave me a licence with an S on it anyway!)

*EDIT* As per Nekarsulm's post above, they also insisted on referring to it as a silencer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

I was told that because i already had a moderator on one .22 that i wouldn't get one for my other .22.
    I explained i would only be using one rifle at a time and that it was the same moderator for both. I didn't get it, no reason given, its ongoing.
    Very hard to talk with people who have no logic.

T'wud be nice to have that in writing. The Super would be under pressure in court to explain why he thinks his/her authority supersedes the law. Blanket bans like that are illegal.

If he is refused the moderator he is willing to go to court over it. He has had a moderator over 10 years so he should have a good case.

solarwinds wrote: »
    I was told that because i already had a moderator on one .22 that i wouldn't get one for my other .22.
    I explained i would only be using one rifle at a time and that it was the same moderator for both. I didn't get it, no reason given, its ongoing.

Genius. Promote that Garda, pronto.

solarwinds wrote: »

Genius. Promote that Garda, pronto.
    Next leg up for him is chief.

I did hear of one Super who is supposed to have said that he wouldn't issue permission for a silencer because someone wouldn't be able to hear the bullet and duck.

Might be bullsh1t, but it's almost believable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I did hear of one Super who is supposed to have said that he wouldn't issue permission for a silencer because someone wouldn't be able to hear the bullet and duck.

Might be bullsh1t, but it's almost believable.

You'd be hard-pressed to make that up. The only time I heard a bullet was as it went past me [thankfully]. Dodging it coming? Like 'Matrix'?

Un-freakin'-believable.

These people obviously inhabit a different plane of existence to the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

You'd be hard pressed to hear a bullet coming. If you're lucky you'll hear it as it has passed you. If you're not you'll never hear it. Unless it's a subsonic one of course....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    And you'd walk the case.

I think it was 2013 (and even recently in the updated Commissoner's guidelines) that a judge said the citing of public safety is in itself not a reasonable or valid argument for refusal unless it can be shown that the person seeking the authorisation is a threat to public safety.

Which begs the question why can you have a suppressor that is essentially a hollow can, when the actual firearm which fires the bullets is licensed?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

"Which begs the question why can you have a suppressor that is essentially a hollow can, when the actual firearm which fires the bullets is licensed?"

Simple, Hollywood, the AGS reference database for all things firearms related.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I think its a little more insidious than that.

There has been a subtle, but definable, move as of late with AGS to curtail certain items and firearms. A few years back it was tried and court cases stopped it, but now it seems that it's going two ways depending on the item involved:
    1. Subtle and by the time people notice it's too late
    2. Outright just doing it, regardless of the law or consequences.

This is not a tinfoil hat moment. It's n opinion based on recent cases with lads i've spoken, and a few personal events which included conversations with high ranking members of AGS.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement