Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council tenant seeking to be rehoused due to rats

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

The rats are outside the property not inside.

It is in a large council estate in the Northside of Cork City called Killala gardens.

If these people secured a transfer I’d imagine it will open the flood gates from other tenants?

I don’t know the area personally but have heard lots on the radio in recent days about it.

http://www.redfm.ie/news/cork/dead-rats-lie-outside-knocknaheeny-womans-home-today-as-she-renews-calls-to-be-relocated/

I suppose she could do what the rest of us have to do and set poison.
    Has she bins?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I suppose she could do what the rest of us have to do and set poison.
    Has she bins?

Rats chewed bins, that radio station have a video of it.

Rat poison was put down, rats now dead outside house.

All I’m seeing in articles is council this council that council everything.

Not willing to do what any ordinary home owner would do and sort it themselves.

If the estate is as large as I’ve read up then she isn’t an isolated case, Facebook comments suggest it is a decades old problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Rats chewed bins, that radio station have a video of it.

Rat poison was put down, rats now dead outside house.

All I’m seeing in articles is council this council that council everything.

Not willing to do what any ordinary home owner would do and sort it themselves.

If the estate is as large as I’ve read up then she isn’t an isolated case, Facebook comments suggest it is a decades old problem.

Thanks. Your link wouldn't open the first time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

It always seems to be someone else's fault, someone else's responsibility.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Thanks. Your link wouldn't open the first time round.

Apologies. It is on the Cork’s RedFM website.

• Advertisement

kub wrote: »

Absolutely!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

If the council are their landlords why not? When I was renting, I'd run any issue with the property through the landlord or agent. Tenancy is a service.

If the council are their landlords why not? When I was renting, I'd run any issue with the property through the landlord or agent. Tenancy is a service.

The council put down poison, now she wants a transfer. Would you agree with that?

The lady claims there’s “hundreds of rats” I find that hard to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Stop dumping rubbish nearby

Unplug from daytime TV and go gather up any and fix any gaps

It's not f***** bears they have

XiGpTWG.jpg

gctest50 wrote: »
    Stop dumping rubbish nearby

Unplug from daytime TV and go gather up any and fix any gaps

It's not f***** bears they have

XiGpTWG.jpg

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

She said she had to get rid of her dogs because the rats were eating their food outside. Could that partly have been what was attracting them? Why not feed the dogs inside?

TheChizler wrote: »
    She said she had to get rid of her dogs because the rats were eating their food outside. Could that partly have been what was attracting them? Why not feed the dogs inside?

Would dogs not help keep them away?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Why does she not get a few cats?

Natures way is best.

Natures way is best.

Aye that’d sort the live rats issue, where would the cats dispense with them is another issue, they don’t always dine out on rat for lunch after ‘playing’ with them do they?

Doesn't work anymore, rats have learned - where there is a cat or dog, there is food

Doesn't work anymore, rats have learned - where there is a cat or dog, there is food

Smart rats

Every try one that has escaped a trap or been half-poisoned ?

Anyway little housecat no match for a well-reared rat :

YqEqP9j.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

If a third party is dumping rubbish nearby, it's their fault, is it not?

Smart rats

And ....in certain areas of South of England and West Country where greater than 70% the animals tested are of the ‘super rat’ type

The term ‘super rat’ is quite appropriate, says Dr Clarke. The creatures that are unaffected by routine poisons have not become resistant because of their DNA mutating as a result of their exposure to the rodenticide chemicals. The timescale is too short for that.
    Instead they have a naturally occuring genetic mutation that protects them from the rodenticide poisons

If a third party is dumping rubbish nearby, it's their fault, is it not?

From what i seen on google maps the rubbish is being disposed of in a lane way at the back of the property, it runs parallel to several houses not just this one, also there is a house right next to where the rubbish is dumped, no outcry from this household.

Doesn't warrant a transfer though.

Edit:

This is the area on the map, doesn't look the most pleasant.

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Kilmore+Rd+Lower,+Cork/@51.9101144,-8.4956626,3a,75y,161.67h,79.61t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sDDZ7sNyBiKJK7Utqcn6Etw!2e0!3e11!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x484490465b1b9c2b:0x9cb23ed3c2b252e6!8m2!3d51.9088619!4d-8.5005223

• Advertisement

Someone burning waste on the green area, smells like a barbeque to the rat

51°54'31.8"N 8°29'58.6"W

https://map.what3words.com/glad.discrepancy.strong

4IfqVTn.png

pLJkhiT.png

51°54'31.8"N 8°29'58.6"W

4IfqVTn.png

pLJkhiT.png
    The map i looked at shows this area as being a bit away from there, plus it was June on the map? A popular time for bonfires in Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

People up there are too stingy to pay for bin collections and are more than happy to dump it down a lane.

But I bet they can afford the Sky/virgin tv.

mikeym wrote: »
    People up there are too stingy to pay for bin collections and are more than happy to dump it down a lane.

But I bet they can afford the Sky/virgin tv.

If they don't live in the neighbouring estates what does it cost them in fuel to transport the waste, more than a weekly bin collection i'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Killala gardens has been suffering from illegal dumping for years, those of you looking at images on google maps can't make a judgement call on this problem. It is an absolute kip at times. As soon as the city council clear the rubbish in these laneways every few weeks, the dumping starts over again.

I can't blame this person for wanting a transfer - no amount of rat poison, traps, cats, will resolve this for her. Fair play to her for being so vocal on it - no place to be raising a family. Council need to sort it, not by cleaning up the rubbish periodical, but by tackling the dumping issue. CCTV should be installed - but that might cause uproar with the locals too

Treviso wrote: »
    Killala gardens has been suffering from illegal dumping for years, those of you looking at images on google maps can't make a judgement call on this problem. It is an absolute kip at times. As soon as the city council clear the rubbish in these laneways every few weeks, the dumping starts over again.

I can't blame this person for wanting a transfer - no amount of rat poison, traps, cats, will resolve this for her. Fair play to her for being so vocal on it - no place to be raising a family. Council need to sort it, not by cleaning up the rubbish periodical, but by tackling the dumping issue. CCTV should be installed - but that might cause uproar with the locals too

Fair point on the images.

The council are screwed when they act and also if they don’t.

Do you believe she should get a transfer? If it happens it will be a case of monkey see monkey do.

CCTV? Not always efficient is it? If people want to disguise themselves they will do it. Also blocking out vehicle registrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Fair point on the images.

The council are screwed when they act and also if they don’t.

Do you believe she should get a transfer? If it happens it will be a case of monkey see monkey do.

CCTV? Not always efficient is it? If people want to disguise themselves they will do it. Also blocking out vehicle registrations.

In this case I do, the rats seemed to have made her home/garden their nesting grounds. I understand by doing so, you'll have others asking for a transfer too when they see one mouse in their garden. That'll always be the case.

Its not like she will be moved to a totally different area, probably get another house close by as Knocknaheeny is in the middle of a housing regeneration scheme.

Maybe you're right and she's looking for one of the new houses up there, chancing her luck. But I can think of better ways to get a new house then letting your current one be infested with rats!

CCTV wouldn't solve the problem alone but at least it would be a deterrent for dumpers (and other criminal activity).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

51°54'31.8"N 8°29'58.6"W

4IfqVTn.png

pLJkhiT.png

Any chance the 'two legged rats' could be poisoned?

Any chance the 'two legged rats' could be poisoned?

Doesn’t look like the type of area you’ll find those in , rather they will poison you for being said rat.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

It might come across as rather flippant but a decent terrier would sort out the rat population in the immediate area of the house.

Advertisement