Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council tenant seeking to be rehoused due to rats

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Manach wrote: »
    It might come across as rather flippant but a decent terrier would sort out the rat population in the immediate area of the house.

They got rid of two jack russell dogs, surely they’d have done the trick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

The rats are outside the property not inside.

It is in a large council estate in the Northside of Cork City called Killala gardens, is this a poor area?

If these people secured a transfer I’d imagine it will open the flood gates from other tenants?

I don’t know the area personally but have heard lots on the radio in recent days about it.

http://www.redfm.ie/news/cork/dead-rats-lie-outside-knocknaheeny-womans-home-today-as-she-renews-calls-to-be-relocated/
    Yes it is a poor area, Knocknaheeny - probably the poorest part of Cork city. Not the worst reason to look for a transfer. And it's miles off "I'm refusing a house" because of some ludicrous reason.

Yes it is a poor area, Knocknaheeny - probably the poorest part of Cork city. Not the worst reason to look for a transfer. And it's miles off "I'm refusing a house" because of some ludicrous reason.

Is there any history of this occurring resulting in a transfer in Cork?

I know in Dublin it did happen one time but the problem was internal as well as external, in this case the problem appears external, the source being illegal dumping.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Isn't she living up by where all those scumbags are doing a load of illegal dumping?

It's very possible that's causing a lot of the attraction. Also Knocknaheeny is a shít hole. I don't care what people say, I grew up there and it's a shít hole.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Isn't she living up by where all those scumbags are doing a load of illegal dumping?

It's very possible that's causing a lot of the attraction. Also Knocknaheeny is a shít hole. I don't care what people say, I grew up there and it's a shít hole.

Aye that's the spot.

A quick google search paints a very negative picture of the area, drugs,joyriding,shootings are not uncommon in the area.

As a result of this there is another story after coming to light this morning on 96fm of a householder with rats.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I'm familiar with the area and from what I've seen and heard a certain ethnic minority (among others) are using the lane next to that womans house as their own personal dumping ground, and have done for the last few years.

The house she lives in was boarded up and unoccupied for many years before she moved in, by all accounts from the before and after pictures I've seen she's put a lot of money into it, doing up the outside and the garden making it into a proper little home.

I don't blame her for expecting the council to sort it because even if she got some sort of pest control in, the problem is going to keep happening so long as people are dumping their rubbish down that lane. And the council is responsible for that lane.

Its a total health and safety hazard and it needs to be sorted. Imagine trying to rear kids living in those kinds of conditions.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I'm familiar with the area and from what I've seen and heard a certain ethnic minority (among others) are using the lane next to that womans house as their own personal dumping ground, and have done for the last few years.

The house she lives in was boarded up and unoccupied for many years before she moved in, by all accounts from the before and after pictures I've seen she's put a lot of money into it, doing up the outside and the garden making it into a proper little home.

I don't blame her for expecting the council to sort it because even if she got some sort of pest control in, the problem is going to keep happening so long as people are dumping their rubbish down that lane. And the council is responsible for that lane.

Its a total health and safety hazard and it needs to be sorted. Imagine trying to rear kids living in those kinds of conditions.
    Similar story with them in this article.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/illegal-dumpers-in-cork-to-avoid-prosecution-885184.html

Terrible things the settled community do to them :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Similar story with them in this article.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/illegal-dumpers-in-cork-to-avoid-prosecution-885184.html

Terrible things the settled community do to them :pac:

Someone in the FB comments section said it was the councils fault for not supplying the ethnic minority groups free bins and bin collections, and what else were the supposed to do.
    Eh, maybe pay for their waste disposal like the rest of us??!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

If there is an ongoing rodent problem some thing is drawing the rats and its probably food waste dumped to avoid paying for it to be collected.

I have lived in houses all my life and only had rats once. That was because my partner piled up leaves in the garden and the rats nested under them. Another neighbour had rats because she was dumping cooked food in a compost and the rats were getting in underneath. Bord tables also attract rats so avoid having them too.

Its not rocket science.

• Advertisement

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Someone in the FB comments section said it was the councils fault for not supplying the ethnic minority groups free bins and bin collections, and what else were the supposed to do.
    Eh, maybe pay for their waste disposal like the rest of us??!?

Totally agree with you. The pictures from the ethnic minority's residence makes for disturbing viewing.

looking at the google map from the Killala Gardens story i looked down the lane at the back of that property, how is it that a house in the centre of the block appears to have the infestation and the others apparently don't?

I do understand from a previous comment that the area is undergoing regeneration, hence brand new houses, are those trying to jump on the bandwagon hoping for one?

I'd be surprised if a transfer was given as it is an issue that can be eradicated.

We've all had rats at some stage everywhere.

A grand terrier, jeyes fluid, dettol etc on top of poison would help.

That guy on RedFM is talking about it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

I thought rodents would have kept rats away.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Totally agree with you. The pictures from the ethnic minority's residence makes for disturbing viewing.

looking at the google map from the Killala Gardens story i looked down the lane at the back of that property, how is it that a house in the centre of the block appears to have the infestation and the others apparently don't?

I do understand from a previous comment that the area is undergoing regeneration, hence brand new houses, are those trying to jump on the bandwagon hoping for one?

I'd be surprised if a transfer was given as it is an issue that can be eradicated.

We've all had rats at some stage everywhere.

A grand terrier, jeyes fluid, dettol etc on top of poison would help.

That guy on RedFM is talking about it now.

Yes it is under regeneration but that area will not be knocked down until 2025 apparently. In terms of the houses around them, from the report this morning they are also infested. Maybe the inhabitants aren't the most vocal types/some people can live in this filth etc so that is why we haven't heard about it.

Even if they eradicated the problem, got rid of every single rat up there, eventually they would return due to the amount of sh!te that is dumped in that area.

I'm originally from that area, grew up there - loads of nice people living there but as the poster above says its a kip. Even with the regeneration going, its still a kip

Treviso wrote: »
    Yes it is under regeneration but that area will not be knocked down until 2025 apparently. In terms of the houses around them, from the report this morning they are also infested. Maybe the inhabitants aren't the most vocal types/some people can live in this filth etc so that is why we haven't heard about it.

Even if they eradicated the problem, got rid of every single rat up there, eventually they would return due to the amount of sh!te that is dumped in that area.

I'm originally from that area, grew up there - loads of nice people living there but as the poster above says its a kip. Even with the regeneration going, its still a kip

2025? a lot can happen between now and then, another economic crash and that is the end of that.

I was listening to the report on the radio and digs took place in all bar 1 house, which leads me to suspect is that particular house where the nests are? the back yard is overgrown apparently.

You will never ever get rid of rats in their entirety, just because they aren't seen they aren't around.

I say this after putting down a gallon of jeyes fluid out my own back yard and i'm on the southside :pac::pac::pac:

Advertisement