Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boy 2 falls down 110 metre well in Malaga

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

That's not what I asked....

I know

If a loved one was involved in a tragic accident no i wouldnt be happy with jokes being made but I would understand the possible reason for it.

No one has laughed at the kid directly, a reference was made to a kid falling down a well in a cartoon episode which is probably 20 years old now.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭gooseygander

Ninthlife wrote: »
    No denying it is horrendously tragic and to prevent myself lying awake imagining it happen to one of my own or how I would react I suppress that thought decompartmentalise it and use humour/light heartedness as a coping mechanism

Im no monster just human

I am lying beside my sleeping toddler right now in a bit of a rage at clowns making jokes about this article.

BUT

I’m no monster just human

I am lying beside my sleeping toddler right now in a bit of a rage at clowns making jokes about this article.

BUT

I’m no monster just human

Dont be angry as if serves no purpose especially in an online setting.

Embrace your kid and enjoy that moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

riemann wrote: »
    Do you have any self-awareness?

Go back and take a good look at the first post.Then take a look at the first reply. Do you have any cop on at all trying to say this is acceptable. Says alot about the society we live in today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Red Lightning

Ninthlife wrote:
    The outrage at the Simpsons clip is the usual over sensitive shyte we have to endure of late.
    Some people use humour as a mechanism to deal with situations.

That is utter ****e. This isn't being over-sensitive. Over-sensitive would be if the wee lad broke his ankle but was confirmed alright and people were calling them out for making fun.
    This is a horrific situation. Either the poor 2 year old died due to the fall or he's alive, possibly conscious and petrified alone in a dark hole. How can anyone make light of that situation? Seriously.

And 'a coping mechanism' is just a crap excuse to dignify someone's dickish behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Red Lightning

Ill bet that any knob who is posting jokes or any humour about this article has no children of their own. I do have children and it’s a fu— king heartbreaking story that disturbs me to even read.

Well said!

That is utter ****e. This isn't being over-sensitive. Over-sensitive would be if the wee lad broke his ankle but was confirmed alright and people were calling them out for making fun.
    This is a horrific situation. Either the poor 2 year old died due to the fall or he's alive, possibly conscious and petrified alone in a dark hole. How can anyone make light of that situation? Seriously.

And 'a coping mechanism' is just a crap excuse to dignify someone's dickish behaviour.

No one said it isnt horrific. Its the stuff of nightmares

I already gave my reason as to why I would rather not think too much of the incident and my way of dealing with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

It doesn’t sound good for the poor little lad. Miracles do happen though. Devastating for the family. How would you go on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I don't think it's funny at all but the implication in a lot of posts seems to be that if the Simpsons scene popped into your head, you are an awful person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,855 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Can't be easy trying to perform a rescue when no communications can be got from the boy that gives any indication as to their condition or how best to carry out a rescue.

Can't be easy trying to perform a rescue when no communications can be got from the boy that gives any indication as to their condition or how best to carry out a rescue.

That poor child has no chance, it’s not a rescue but a recovery only I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭spakman

Stuff of nightmares. Parents lost another child to a heart-attack a couple of years ago. Life is cruelly unfair to some people - there's no way i could cope with what they're having to endure.

I don't think it's funny at all but the implication in a lot of posts seems to be that if the Simpsons scene popped into your head, you are an awful person.

Not true, but difference in it popping in your head or posting it online for a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Poor little baby. The thought that he is probably dead or lying in the dark hurt crying and terrified all on his own is horrific. Hopefully they will find him very soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Truly and utterly heartbreaking. Not ashamed to say I cried after reading the stories on this and when we came in from dinner (actually in Malaga atm and parents put our little one to bed) I took my daughter in my arms from her cot for a long cuddle. Sick to my stomach for the family involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭pah

Wow, 18 thanks. Aren't you a great lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Recently heard of an Irish girl falling to here death on a footbridge at alicante airport, very scary how easily such a tragedy can happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,074 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

2nd Post on this thread is close to the worst post I've seen on Boards.

Makes my skin crawl to think someone would post it and many would thank it. Some sick people out there/in here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Sonic Youth

I'm wondering how you're going to work your white supremacy crap into this thread.

Wonder away.

2nd Post on this thread is close to the worst post I've seen on Boards.

Makes my skin crawl to think someone would post it and many would thank it. Some sick people out there/in here.

What's so offensive about it?

And let's be real here, the people acting outraged will have forgotten about the poor kid after a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I love The Simpsons as much as anyone - I quote it enough every day. :D

But posting that video is in extremely bad taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭VeryTerry

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Simpsons fans that need to reference and quote it at every opportunity are complete arseholes.

And let's be real here, the people acting outraged will have forgotten about the poor kid after a few days.

How do you know what people will think about?
    Being REAL, I’m sure there will be plenty of people thinking of this child and his family over the next days and weeks.
    Of course there will always be those who don’t think of anything else but their own vices, but they are special.

A 2 year old has fallen down this hole.

a33b88f7ef0f60ac3fce66e1ce08a0549c16f1f7d678745f28cd19acaef26abf.jpg

It's not even a foot wide but over 300 feet deep. He's most likely dead and the parents watched it happen and could do nothing to stop it. Then they were helpless to try and save their baby.

It's horrific. If you can't see how that Simpsons reference is offensive, you're a fuçking moron. Plain and simple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

pah wrote: »

It's not even a foot wide but over 300 feet deep. He's most likely dead and the parents watched it happen and could do nothing to stop it. Then they were helpless to try and save their baby.

It's horrific. If you can't see how that Simpsons reference is offensive, you're a fung moron. Plain and simple

And the parents lost another little child not long ago as well.

****ing hell.....:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭shamrock55

How in gods name was that hole not covered, god love that child and his parents

It's horrific. If you can't see how that Simpsons reference is offensive, you're a fuçking moron. Plain and simple

Poor kid. Still don't see the rage over the Simpsons.

I'm a moron. Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Dunno about others , but I honestly cannot remember a single other incident of somebody falling down a well.

The Simpsons was honestly one of the first things that popped into my head upon reading the title.

Not that I would have posted the video, but anyone here spouting off about the insensitivity of people who even thought of it would want to cop on.

It's only natural to have and make your own associations, and it in no way means you cannot be equally sympathetic to the victims of this horrible situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

It's not even a foot wide but over 300 feet deep.

It's actually 25cm in diameter and probably 110 metres deep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Do you have a toddler?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Genuinely weak in the pit of my stomach looking at that. Horrific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

It's only natural to have and make your own associations, and it in no way means you cannot be equally sympathetic to the victims of this horrible situation.

Which you should keep to yourself if they are particularly insensitive and relate to the death of a child.

I have a two year old nephew. I would lose my mind if something happened to the cool wee dude.

I've no idea how anybody can joke about this.

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Do you have a toddler?

Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

The poor little baby, don’t even know what to say to that, to be honest. I hope that they’ll find him, and that it’ll be a happy ending of course but the thoughts of a 2 year old down there by himself is awful, he must have been so scared

Oh well

I'd love to get a hold of you

Would kick your kick skinny ass senseless

That poor little baby is down that down " Oh well "

Ok then.

**** off posting here then

Go have a **** for yourself

Wait a minute, are you actually flipping out because I said 'oh well'?

Agreed. If however one is unable to grasp how such a reference is inherently insensitive in this situation, there must be a screw lose somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Dunno about others , but I honestly cannot remember a single other incident of somebody falling down a well.

The Simpsons was honestly one of the first things that popped into my head upon reading the title.

Not that I would have posted the video, but anyone here spouting off about the insensitivity of people who even thought of it would want to cop on.

If the Simpsons was one of the first things to enter my mind when reading this I be embarrassed and keep quiet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

If the Simpsons was one of the first things to enter my mind when reading this I be embarrassed and keep quiet.

I don't see the need to feel embarrassed about it.

You say it as if a person has or should somehow have the ability to exercise control over how and which thoughts enter their mind.
    Sure, a degree of sensitivity before expressing them recklessly or hurtfully, I agree.
    This is why I didn't or wouldn't have posted the video, as I felt the thought would be insensitive and inappropriate to share in the situation, NOT because I was ashamed to have it come to mind.
    It's not like it was a choice.

It's pretty interesting to see people demonise others for simply being honest and admitting to having a thought.
    I think most people are capable of both having something come to mind while feeling awful for the family and the child at the same time.

I don't think posting the video was the correct response, but simply admitting to having thought of it is nothing to make people feel ashamed of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

In 1987, 18 month old Jessica McClure fell down a well in east Texas and was rescued after 56 hours.

Jesus..

"Local newspapers reported that the family had suffered tragedy two years ago when Oliver, the older brother of Yulan, died suddenly of a heart attack aged just three years old."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

dilallio wrote: »
    In 1987, 18 month old Jessica McClure fell down a well in east Texas and was rescued after 56 hours.

I thought I could remember this happening alright but I wasn’t sure if it was real or just something I saw on a tv program. Now I remember it and that the footage of the rescue was on the Michael Jackson video. Wouldn’t it be brilliant if it happened again for this little boy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,912 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

What a terrifying story. I can't see how the poor child could have survived, the distance he fell is about the height of the spire in Dublin I believe :( Those poor parents, some people have no luck whatsoever in life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Evel Knievel

Thoughts & prayers for the unlucky child. Its so sad. Accidents and tragedies happen every second of the day. Thats life. It's tough.

So isn't after hours a place where humour and bad taste jokes/comments can be made. Where every comment doesn't have to be factually correct and serious?

I know all about the easily offended crowd trying to shut down any free speech that they dont agree with, and seeing it in action here is worrying to me, but I deal with it and move on without trying to shame them & make them out to be the most vile people on earth.

I too thought of poor Timmy O'Toole when I read the thread title, and now 'sending our love down a well' is stuck in my head..

Ps. I've got kids and Im not a monster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I'm a moron.

After reading most of your posts on this site, I'm happy to say I finally agree with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

dilallio wrote:
    fell down a well in east Texas and was rescued after 56 hours.

Was there not a kid in Asia, 2 year old girl, a very slim man was lowered down head first, grabbed her and pulled her up.

I felt sick when I heard this, maybe I'm one of those "you don't understand unless you've have kids type" but the helplessness the parents must feel!

I've laughed at all sorts of things, in all sorts of situations, I'm ashamed of some of the incidents to be honest.

But I did laugh, I think laughing and being flippant about laughing or the situation are two different things.

We can do nothing about it, we will forget about it that's all true.

Some will pray for the child. Some will highlight that praying will do nothing for the child, just something for the person praying.

I've said a prayer for the child, maybe I did get something out of it.

But I'm overwhelmed about what's going on in that child's mind, that's the dominant emotion for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

Poot little mite. It doesn't sound good. The bit about the screaming stopping is devastating.

There was a film made about a child of similar age that fell into a well a good few years ago now. She survived after being underground over 50 hours. The well wasn't as deep as the one his little boy fell into though.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everybody%27s_Baby:_The_Rescue_of_Jessica_McClure

Based on the true story of Jessica McClure, the child who fell in an abandoned water well while playing in her aunt's backyard in Midland, Texas. She was stuck in the well 22 feet down and it took rescuers 58 hours to get her out. There was fear that if they shook the ground too much with machinery they could cause her to fall further down and die. Rescuers managed to successfully excavate alongside the well shaft and bring her to safety.

Thoughts & prayers for the unlucky child. Its so sad. Accidents and tragedies happen every second of the day. Thats life. It's tough.

So isn't after hours a place where humour and bad taste jokes/comments can be made. Where every comment doesn't have to be factually correct and serious?

I know all about the easily offended crowd trying to shut down any free speech that they dont agree with, and seeing it in action here is worrying to me, but I deal with it and move on without trying to shame them & make them out to be the most vile people on earth.

I too thought of poor Timmy O'Toole when I read the thread title, and now 'sending our love down a well' is stuck in my head..

Ps. I've got kids and Im not a monster.

Im glad others have the same view as myself

Whats sad is the threats of violence and the personal insults being thrown at anyone who expressed how THEY felt.. mods should really have a look

And i did reference the Simpsons initially by saying the song 'we are sending our love down the well' yes its part of a comedy cartoon, is it bad taste..no. its a very human statement as its the only thing anyone here can genuinely do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Here's an idea, don't come to After Hours to look for and discuss your favourite news headlines. Plenty of other outlets cater for that.

After Hours, Boards and the internet in general is not your personal social meetup.

• Advertisement
Advertisement