Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wiring a 13amp switched socket

• 14-01-2019 11:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

Got new sockets for the house and instead of the 2 earths going into the one hole, like the live and neutral, they go into two separate holes, it's dual earth apparently. It says that the earth needs to be sleeved back to the back box.

3nnb4L4

Is it ok to split the two live wireds that are sleeved together and wrap with electric tape and then screw them into the back of the socket?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

3nnb4L4

Pic isn't loading, not sure why.

Here is direct link
    https://imgur.com/a/3nnb4L4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Can you take a pic and post it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

The second terminal for the Earth is in case you have a cable coming from a metal back box and avoids forcing too many cables into a single terminal. Twist the Earth's together, sleeve them and connect to one Earth terminal. The second terminal will be connected to the first though it may not be visible, it'll depend on the socket, it's not needed in your case unless the back box is metal, which from your photo I can see it isn't, it's a plastic dryliner.

ok, and if I've already wrapped them in tape and split them (only in one install) should I undo that?

Wiring guide.
    https://imgur.com/a/3IIe6sI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I don't believe them being separated is an issue, just ensure they are insulated sufficiently and the copper is doubled over in the terminal to ensure the screw has caught it.

I'm not up on the regs so someone more knowledgeable can confirm or deny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

2 browns go into 'L', 2 blues go into 'N'.

Pull the cover off the earth - GN/YE , twist the bare one with it and put the cover back on, then put both in the 'E' terminal. The back box is plastic so does not need to be bonded.

ok, great, thanks for all the help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

If I understand correctly, then you have split both earth cables. If they aren't twisted, and one becomes disconnected from the socket, then you won't have earth continuity at the next socket down the line, and so on.

Effects wrote: »
    If I understand correctly, then you have split both earth cables. If they aren't twisted, and one becomes disconnected from the socket, then you won't have earth continuity at the next socket down the line, and so on.

ok, they're fairly hard wired in but I can undo and twist together.

Advertisement