Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Jan 2nd 2020

• 15-01-2019 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

HI all,
    Im looking at booking a trip over to new york to celebrate our 10th anniversary and without our kids. Wife is adamant that she wants to see the Christmas lights etc... I was thinking of just before christmas but with kids in school and potential family babysitters being no doubt under a lot of pressure I was thinking maybe the Jan 2nd 2020.
    Would it be advisable to travel out on the thursday morning from Dublin and then get the return flight late Saturday night to get back to Dublin on the sunday? Is that enough time? Wife/kids would be back in work /school on the Monday.
    Is this an advisable time to go as there doesnt seem to be prices available through aer lingus yet for this time? All advise welcome and apologies if there are numerous threads pointing this info out elsewhere...
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭heffo500

I went in January last year for a week. I think it is advisable to go for a week especially given the flight time and its your first time. I would try figure out how to go for a week. Bear in mind its very cold there at that time of year (heavy jacket, scarf, gloves thermal vests, long johns I found were all necessary) but on the plus side we could stay in a 5 star hotel (The Knickerbocker) for €1400 for the week including breakfast and no queues for any of the attractions so much more enjoyable. Also Central Park in the snow is amazing so is going down to Rockafella and doing ice skating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Would it be advisable to travel out on the thursday morning from Dublin and then get the return flight late Saturday night to get back to Dublin on the sunday?

Even with the cold weather in January, that would be far too short a trip for your first time there. You'd arrive in the afternoon (US time) on Thursday and have just one full day (Friday) to explore the city, then check out of your hotel the next morning. Waste of time TBH considering the air fare and the the hassle of the long flights.

I'd disagree with the previous poster and say 4 or 5 nights will be sufficient. Part of the reason is that you do a lot of walking in NYC and you'll be knackered after a few days! But January carries the risk of bitterly cold weather with the possibility of snow and sleet blizzards from Canada which would severely limit your options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

Thanks for the advice. We have been before for two weeks back in 2001, so there will be a lot of stuff I wouldn't be to bothered with (attraction wise). It was during the summer and the Wife really wants to do the winter with cold weather and hopefully a little bit of snow. Ice Skating would be amazing TBH.
    I have had a closer look at dates and it could end up being flying out on the morning of the 27th Dec (get in friday Afternoon NYC) and getting back into Dublin morning of 30th. This would give us Friday night , Saturday night and most of Sunday before flying home to land in Dublin on the Monday.
    As I say any feedback would be welcomed.

Advertisement