Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

down lighters not working

Options
  • 15-01-2019 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

HI all,
    we had down lighters fitted about 12 years ago and the last few weeks two of them have stopped working. One has had the bulb changed and it still wont work, whereas the second one will occasionally get a 'surge' and come on only to fade and go off again.
    Any advice on how I can fix these myself? the other down lighters all work fine.
    They are set to a dimmer switch, but most have been replaced with 'no-dimming' bulbs over the years
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

HI all,
    we had down lighters fitted about 12 years ago and the last few weeks two of them have stopped working. One has had the bulb changed and it still wont work, whereas the second one will occasionally get a 'surge' and come on only to fade and go off again.
    Any advice on how I can fix these myself? the other down lighters all work fine.
    They are set to a dimmer switch, but most have been replaced with 'no-dimming' bulbs over the years
    Thanks

What type of downlights are they? Do they have transformers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

Im not to sure to be honest. They are small bulbs that we have always replaced with these LED ones you can buy in aldi:
    https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/light-bulbs/aldi-gu10-spotlight-55w

When replacing them I remove them from the ceiling and they seem to have a small plastic box attached to each of them that connects them to a larger cable? apologies for the ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Im not to sure to be honest. They are small bulbs that we have always replaced with these LED ones you can buy in aldi:
    https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/light-bulbs/aldi-gu10-spotlight-55w

When replacing them I remove them from the ceiling and they seem to have a small plastic box attached to each of them that connects them to a larger cable? apologies for the ignorance.

Call an electrician. No offence but I don't think you have the know how or skills to fix this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

aido79 wrote: »
    Call an electrician. No offence but I don't think you have the know how or skills to fix this.

no offense taken, as you'r absolutely right in your assumption

Advertisement