Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gillette | Toxic masculinity advert.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

seamus wrote: »
    I do love how you and ten other perpetually outraged men's men here read my post and saw something it didn't say at all. Project much?

Keep on truckin' good buddy.

So, please do explain what you actually meant by:

"Realistically the people who get worked up about this so-called "attack on men" are only one step removed from the same psychopath who kidnapped that 13 year old girl and kept her trapped for months."

Apparently we're all too toxic to understand your genius. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

sdanseo wrote: »
    Genuinely hope their business falls off a cliff for this stunt. Unbelievably condescending to the 99% of us who are perfectly able to behave like normal humans.

Switching to a different brand immediately and will never use a Gillette product again. PC has gone too far and not for the first time recently Piers Morgan, as noxious as he is, is right.

It won’t though. The ad will be pulled and everyone other than a handful of people will forget about it. Like that Pepsi ad that was heavily lambasted a few years ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Tenderribs

Plopsu wrote: »
    So, please do explain what you actually meant by:

"Realistically the people who get worked up about this so-called "attack on men" are only one step removed from the same psychopath who kidnapped that 13 year old girl and kept her trapped for months."

Apparently we're all too toxic to understand your genius. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't bother to be honest, he's just going to evade any questions on his post until people hopefully forget about it.

This ad got all your knickers in a twist lads? Relax you're just proving how toxic masculinity can be, there are real problems happening in the world right now, focus on them.

So, just so I'm clear, you think finding an insulting portrayal of a group to which you belong to be an issue, is toxic masculinity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

So you've moved from out and out sexism to sexual harassment jokes.

Yet some people think there isn't a problem.

I thought it was funny, and did chuckle out loud.
    Sometimes I miss off colour jokes. Even here in the deep countryside people often preface things with ''I hope you don't mind me sayin'...'' etc. They are afraid to give you a lift in case they will be taken for a rapist - I have had it said to me.
    Part of maturing is knowing how to walk that razor's edge of being slightly off-colour, and still being a grand person. My Dad was an absolute master of it so maybe that's why I find it funny. Plus women can rip the balls off men in hilarious ways too, without being bitter or petty or weird. I think it dissipates pressure and weirdness between the sexes.

Shock story upcoming, so cover eyes if easily upset. There was this young fella I knew when I started college, who was not a handsome chap, but he was hilarious, and very good-natured. His stock move was to greet girls by shimmying up to them and quickly squeezing your boobs and going Meep Meep! Everyone laughed, swatted him, punched him, kicked him in the arse, but we laughed - can you imagine it! We all knew he was a messer. No one felt in the slightest bit threatened.
    Flash forward a few decades and the poor lad's head would probably be on a stake outside any campus today if he dared do anything vaguely like that.

(Hope I haven't caused any nervous breakdowns with that story. )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

It's not so long ago that Gillette were using serial cheater Tiger Woods and another football cheat Therry Henry to sell their products. Hypocrites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Bannasidhe wrote: »

Apparently men manly men should just stand back and watch other men being dicks because that's more manly or something and wimmenz ... PC Brigade.. pink hair... tampon ads...

But they don't do that now. My youngest lad got a bad injury to the face recently because he stepped in to protect a stranger in a street fight. People - men and women - have always stepped in to stop bad stuff where they can. The vast majority are being the best men they can be...already.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    However, many here are outraged. Broflakes have been triggered.

Apparently pink haired femminists just out of collage are telling men manly men what to do - how very dare they!

Not, here is a large multinational company with a huge advertising budget deciding to give a particular brief to someone which contains the message if you are a man who sees another man acting like a dick step in and stop them.

Apparently men manly men should just stand back and watch other men being dicks because that's more manly or something and wimmenz ... PC Brigade.. pink hair... tampon ads...

I'm a woman and I have very little patience for men feeling hard done by me too or similar but I still don't like the ad.

It's lazy and preachy and it adds very little to anything. It reminds me of one of the Kardashians and Pepsi making protesters and antiriot police friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,385 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Just look at the state of people getting worked into a lather about this. A company selling a product publishes an ad with the intention of getting people talking. Woke, liberal, SJW, feminist, PC gone mad. Some poster even said P&G has been hostile to men for a long time! It's capitalism and it's job is to make money and it doesn't have morality or politics.

They know they're safe as houses because easily offended men will whinge and moan about how they're so oppressed, but will do nothing else. They're doing the company's job by getting on social media and sharing the ad. But there's almost no chance that they'll organise to do anything about it.

The same big brave bucks who will throw a tantrum on International Women's Day but can only raise a "meh" for International Men's Day, will be out whinging, bitching and moaning about this but won't DO anything beyond helping to share the ad.

Whether you like the ad or not, it was probably vastly more successful than they hoped.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Ah that ad brings me back.

Rolling around fighting on the lawn with the brother and then the ould lad spies us and leathers the ever-loving ****e out of us for destroying his good lawn.

Now that was a male role model for everyone.

I think he uses a half-rusty Philishave thing that ma got for him in Roches Stores in the mid-1990s. Or a hacksaw. I don't know I don't live there any more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

The last line "The boys watching today will be the men tomorrow" ~ not anymore sunshine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Gillette deleting dislikes apparently on that video.
    Real class acts.

How can Gilette delete thumbs down from a youtube video, with the help of the deep state?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I don't think it's fair to dismiss something so obviously condescending as broflakes getting insulted. The ad is insulting, I don't know if it will help or hinder sales but there is no need to applause this kind of nonsense just because it's fashionable to be socially progressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Just look at the state of people getting worked into a lather about this. A company selling a product publishes an ad with the intention of getting people talking. Woke, liberal, SJW, feminist, PC gone mad. Some poster even said P&G has been hostile to men for a long time! It's capitalism and it's job is to make money and it doesn't have morality or politics.

They know they're safe as houses because easily offended men will whinge and moan about how they're so oppressed, but will do nothing else. They're doing the company's job by getting on social media and sharing the ad. But there's almost no chance that they'll organise to do anything about it.

The same big brave bucks who will throw a tantrum on International Women's Day but can only raise a "meh" for International Men's Day, will be out whinging, bitching and moaning about this but won't DO anything beyond helping to share the ad.

Whether you like the ad or not, it was probably vastly more successful than they hoped.
    I am surprised by the content of your post, I have to say.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Just watched it. Don't really see what the problem is.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

meeeeh wrote: »
    I don't think it's fair to dismiss something so obviously condescending as broflakes getting insulted. The ad is insulting, I don't know if it will help or hinder sales but there is no need to applause this kind of nonsense just because it's fashionable to be socially progressive.

Are you, as a women, telling us that us men should be insulted by this ad? Sexist.

Lather me b*llix. People are objecting to a stereotypical portrayal of men in the ad. And, big surprise, they're snowflakes, foaming in a lather etc. What would you suggest they do? They could complain to advertising standards I suppose (though I don't think the ad's been shown here). Beyond that, what?
    And, just so I'm clear, you appear to be saying that if men find something objectionable, they shouldn't talk about it??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Just watched it. Don't really see what the problem is.

Who woulda thunk it, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Lather me b*llix. People are objecting to a stereotypical portrayal of men in the ad. And, big surprise, they're snowflakes, foaming in a lather etc. What would you suggest they do? They could complain to advertising standards I suppose (though I don't think the ads been shown here). Beyond that, what?
    And, just so I'm clear, you appear to be saying that if men find something objectionable, they shouldn't talk about it??

No, he seems to be perpetually banging on that unless you take some form of 'action' re: men's issues rights, you're nothing but a whinger. The irony alas, is also perpetually lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I think its more the obnoxious double standard than men being offended.

Imagine an ad for a female beauty product telling them not to make false rape claims, not to be bitchy, not to commit paternity fraud, not to bully people in the work place, not to sleep with underage boys if they are teachers etc etc. Generally highlighting how toxic their Femininity is.

You think people are offended here? If the ad above was made then you would see a serious reaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

So, please do explain what you actually meant by
    Look up the meaning of the phrase "one step removed".

Toxic masculinity exists on a spectrum. In much the same way that religious extremism ("toxic religiosity"?) exists on a spectrum.

When you try to defend or legitimise behaviours at the less extreme end of the spectrum, you provide a cover behind which the more extreme (read: violent) individuals can hide.

But neither you or the usual gaggle of offended men who are thanking eachothers' posts, can see the wood for the trees on this. You're too busy being outraged that a company would make an ad which tries to encourage people to be better humans.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Tenderribs

Toxic masculinity exists on a spectrum. In much the same way that religious extremism ("toxic religiosity"?) exists on a spectrum.

When you try to defend or legitimise behaviours at the less extreme end of the spectrum, you provide a cover behind which the more extreme (read: violent) individuals can hide.

But neither you or the usual gaggle of offended men who are thanking eachothers' posts, can see the wood for the trees on this.

What are your thoughts on toxic femininity?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Is that before or after the meaning of "gross overreach"? Because that's exactly what your claim that people unhappy with the add are akin to child rapists is.

Thats not one step. It's about a thousand steps. But you knew that. You were just being toxic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Wew, somebody had their estrogen today!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Tenderribs wrote: »
    What are your thoughts on toxic femininity?

Women can only be victims

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Has Ciara Kelly approved this yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭0cp71eyxkb94qf

How ironic. A man that spends his life defending Louise O'Neill and every ridiculous notion she has is calling anyone who disagrees with an ad "moaning" "bitching" etc. Pathetic.

But neither you or the usual gaggle of offended men who are thanking eachothers' posts, can see the wood for the trees on this. You're too busy being outraged that a company would make an ad which tries to encourage people to be better humans.

'one step removed' means very close to. If you're saying that's not a comparison, I don't think it's me that needs to look up the term.
    Put simply for you, you compared men objecting to an insulting, stereotypical portrayal of men to a child rapist.

And the company isn't trying to encourage anything but sales.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 217 ✭✭Cockford Ollie

Has Ciara Kelly approved this yet?

She has, she said she looked at it and saw positive things for men.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Kirby wrote: »
    Because that's exactly what your claim that people unhappy with the add are akin to child rapists is.
    You can misrepresent all you like, but you'll still be wrong.

Anyone who thinks the psychopaths aren't online and looking at all the usual anti-feminist haunts, and using the content therein to legitimise their beliefs and become radicalised, are deluding themselves.

Anyone who seriously believes the narrative that there's a "war on men" is helping to radicalise these nutjobs every time they say it.

One step removed.

Advertisement