Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gillette | Toxic masculinity advert.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Tenderribs

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Yeah, cos I'm getting my tighty whiteys in a twist about an ad... oh wait...

That's not what I'm doing at all.
    I'm laughing like a raving lunatic at all the broflakes whose masculinity is being threatened by an ad.

AN AD.

:D

yet here you are doing just that :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Pathetic advert that will backfire badly on Gillette...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Yeah, cos I'm getting my tighty whiteys in a twist about an ad... oh wait...

Eh, you kinda were though. Pretty hysterically actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Has anyone else got to the stage where they see these viral memes, clickbait articles, brow-beating videos and condescending tweets lecturing men and telling us what to do, and they just go "Leave. Us. The. F*ck. ALONE"?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Can someone simplify this for me?

What's the issue with this ad?

The realisation of the ALL OUT WAR if the genders were reversed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Cienciano wrote: »
    Hypocrites? No, it's an ad to sell razors. They're razor salesmen, that's it.
    They'll change it completely tomorrow and apologise if they think they'll sell more razors.
    Aye it's not so long ago they were shaving babies.

vintage-ads-shaving.jpg

:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Can someone simplify this for me?

What's the issue with this ad?

It's telling men as a group what to do and talking to us as if we're naughty children or something of equivalent contemptworthiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

meeeeh wrote: »
    I'm a woman and I have very little patience for men feeling hard done by me too or similar but I still don't like the ad.

It's lazy and preachy and it adds very little to anything. It reminds me of one of the Kardashians and Pepsi making protesters and antiriot police friends.

It's an AD. People can like it or not like it, all the same to me. I find most 'message' ads saccharine and touchy feely (har har) and this one is not the worst I've seen nor is it the best.

I'm amused by the reaction here you'd think it was a Manifesto.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,385 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Tenderribs wrote: »

Do you realise it's perfectly possible to criticise feminism without "crying into an ipad"?

One can see the hypocricies and discuss them for no other reason than having an interesting debate.

Of course people can chat about things and people can act. Some people can behave consistently by chatting about something and also doing something about it.

But boards gives us the opportunity to notice usernames and spot when posters are consistent and when there not.

It’s most disheartening to see posters who wax lyrical about how feminism is taken so much more seriously than men’s issues. Then show antipathy towards the idea of men organising to highlight their issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Just watched the ad. One of the clumsiest attempts I’ve ever seen to try to glom onto and capitalise from a zeitgeisty issue. It’s so bad, it actually comes across almost spoof-like. It’s worse than the Pepsi ad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Wibbs wrote: »
    The bigger concern is that larger agencies like the WHO and national psychiatric boards are stating "toxic masculinity" is akin to an "illness". Apparently being stoic, "overly" self reliant, competitive, dominant are all bad for you and lead to serious mental illnesses like depression all the way up to suicide. They seem to miss the part that in the past and in present gender polarised societies where conservative masculinity is the culture in play the rates of those are less.

I think that the determination to achieve those traits and the failure to do so isn't helping some men though.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

Advert has caused discussion....which is fine.

It also has alienated a large chink of its target audience, men... by virtue signalling.

I get the feeling that this was someone in the advertising agency who was either a woman or a liberal lefty man.... thinking this would be a fantastic idea....

Turn it on its head... can you imagine a Tampon company doing something similar to women????

Errrr.. didnt think so..;)

Tenderribs wrote: »
    yet here you are doing just that :D

Yup.
    As I sip my coffee and eat my hot buttered crumpet reading about the end of masculinity because an ad.

AN AD.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

It's an AD. People can like it or not like it, all the same to me. I find most 'message' ads saccharine and touchy feely (har har) and this one is not the worst I've seen nor is it the best.

I'm amused by the reaction here you'd think it was a Manifesto.

The reaction you are seeing is not about the ad. Its the way we are supposed to just take it and if we say anything about we are "triggered" "snowflakes/broflakes" or as Seamus said, child abducting murderpaths.

We are told to stop being what is the traditional model of masculine as it has bad elements. Then when an ad like this released and it receives the backlash we are told to just shut up and get on with it. Its all a bit cyclical as we are back to being stoic and not saying how we feel.

Gravelly wrote: »
    Eh, you kinda were though. Pretty hysterically actually.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

You need a safe space hun?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

conorhal wrote: »
    Or alternatively, I must buy some of y corporations products this evening instead because corportation X can get f*****.

The mantra that 'all publicity is good publicity' is clearly false.

Your words not mine.

I've no doubt that Gillette know exactly what they're doing with this advertising.

And at a guess id say they've factored in any brief negative reaction, against the long term increase in awareness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭0cp71eyxkb94qf

I think that the determination to achieve those traits and the failure to do so isn't helping some men though.

Determination to do what and what traits are you referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

It’s most disheartening to see posters who wax lyrical about how feminism is taken so much more seriously than men’s issues. Then show antipathy towards the idea of men organising to highlight their issues.

Examples of such antipathy from this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,297 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Has anyone else got to the stage where they see these viral memes, clickbait articles, brow-beating videos and condescending tweets lecturing men and telling us what to do, and they just go "Leave. Us. The. F*ck. ALONE"?

No, because I don't read the huffington post or subscribe to feminist frequency on youtube. It's very easy to be left alone, don't click on them. The only reason they're there is because you're clicking on them. Stop doing it and you'll be happier. Half the shít you read is designed to wind you up, either left wing or right wing. Even the authors/creators don't believe it, but the know they'll get clicks. They're basically high level trolls

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Oh sure, coupled with the dismissal of those men who have those traits to any degree.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

She has, she said she looked at it and saw positive things for men.

What a surprise. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

You need a safe space hun?

Honestly, you really do sound a little hysterical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

greencap wrote: »
    Your words not mine.

I've no doubt that Gillette know exactly what they're doing with this advertising.

And at a guess id say they've factored in any brief negative reaction, against the long term increase in awareness.

Why do you say this? Companies get marketing campaigns wrong all the time, why can't this be ill judged? More than likely it is because it fits in with your own bigoted views?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭conorhal

greencap wrote: »
    Your words not mine.

Well we'll see, but If identity politics is such big business, then why are all the purveyors of this super woke ideology like Vox, Buzzfeed, Vice etc. all going broke after leaning hard into identity politics on the advice of their marketing strategists?
    Could it be that normies don't actually care for the sort of identity politics that represents only a tiny, but very vocal minority of people on twitter, and thus marketing at those broke ass loosers is never a good strategy to capture market share?

Plopsu wrote: »
    Lather your own b*llix.

Are they objecting to the men at the end of the ad who don't simply go along with the chorus and act assertively to do the right thing, acting as a role model for the boys watching? Or are they objecting to the fact that all men aren't at all times portrayed as saints and models with six packs and a ferrair?

What would I suggest they do? Actually do something beyond simply helping Gillette with its advertising campaign while crying into their iPad about how the world is so hard on them.

Women organised and now their concerns are taken seriously at all levels. Whether you agree with those concerns or not, the way to have concerns taken seriously is to organise. It's a safe bet that these big brave keyboard warriors will do absolutely nothing in the real world.

The International Men's Day and International Women's Day serve to demonstrate the point beautifully. On IMD a few men take it seriously as a way to raise awareness of men's issues. Some men couldn't give a toss and some are openly hostile towards it. Some posters only raise a "meh" for IMD.

But the day when IMD gets most traffic on twitter is in IWD! The clever bucks who only "meh" IMD are out in full force feeling sorry for themselves because IWD is so much bigger than IMD.

Gillette can rely on those men to give them lots of free publicity but never do anything else.

That's quite the tirade of non-answer, there. IMD is not what's being discussed here, so how about you stop trying to derail and answer the questions.
    What I find objectionable is secondary to the fact that you're basically saying finding anything wrong with anything in the ad is whinging (which is just another way of saying men should shut up). You really find nothing objectionable in the portrayal of entire group of men standing watching two children beat the snot out of each other? Really? If you watch the ad, you'll notice that that line seems to extend indefinitely, like it represented all men and not just a small subset. And you don't find that objectionable? Really?

So, again, are you saying if men find something objectionable, they should just stoically say nothing?

Your questions were:
    1 what should men do?
    2 should men not talk about things that hey find objectionable?

I think I did answer those questions but I’ll do it again just to be sure.

1 what should men do?
    “What would I suggest they do? Actually do something beyond simply helping Gillette with its advertising campaign while crying into their iPad about how the world is so hard on them.

Women organised and now their concerns are taken seriously at all levels. Whether you agree with those concerns or not, the way to have concerns taken seriously is to organise. It's a safe bet that these big brave keyboard warriors will do absolutely nothing in the real world.”

So I think that if they care about it, they should do something about it.

2 should men not talk about things that hey find objectionable?
    I honk talking is grand. The difference between talking and whinging is not subtle but I’ll illustrate it for you.

When someone talks about how terrible things like this ad are, but then are apathetic or actively discourage men organising to highlight their issues, that’s whinging.

Chatting about an issue to highlight the issue encourage others to fix the problem, is constructive.

I wonder if whinging about hear things is just a hobby for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

GLaDOS wrote: »
    It's a cringy ad, clumsily executed, but I wouldn't get excited about it one way or another.

Spot on. Twenty odd pages on this already....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

Gillette have their head screwed on. Discussion like this thread has brought them right back to being culturally relevant, in a world of hipster beards and designer stubble. Those of us who are in favour of these discussions are delighted with the exposure, making us feel good about ourselves and the noble cause we strive for. Those of us who are not feel good in a different way - angry and want that to be known. Either way, the name Gillette gets mentioned and we feel a bit better than the other section of society. Multiple times.

I think the real argument needs more nuance. I think most fathers would stop their kids from having a fight, 'boys will be boys' is usually a way to deal with the cognitive dissonance after the event, when a parent admonishes themselves for not being able to intervene. It is a minority that would let their kids roll around fighting in front of the neighbours and say sure isn't it great gas, boys being boys.

The sexist behaviours portrayed are often more subtle than those portrayed and the first step is recognising it in ourselves. The way to stop them is a call to 'check ourselves', somewhat like Panti's noble call. Will Gillette do this? No. They want to make us feel good about ourselves, not bad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Tenderribs

Of course people can chat about things and people can act. Some people can behave consistently by chatting about something and also doing something about it.

But boards gives us the opportunity to notice usernames and spot when posters are consistent and when there not.

Are there usernames who say they will take action but don't?

Personally, I don't particularly care about inequality against men if it doesn't affect me or someone close to me, but I take great pleasure in highlighting hypocritical attitides, and feminism is a great source of such pleasure. :D

Plopsu wrote: »

Examples of such antipathy from this thread?
    I doubt there are any examples in this thread. Why would it come up in This thread?

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »
    No, because I don't read the huffington post or subscribe to feminist frequency on youtube. It's very easy to be left alone, don't click on them. The only reason they're there is because you're clicking on them. Stop doing it and you'll be happier. Half the shít you read is designed to wind you up, either left wing or right wing. Even the authors/creators don't believe it, but the know they'll get clicks. They're basically high level trolls

This kind of crap has been routinely appearing in the Irish Times, Irish Examiner, Independent etc written and pedalled by the likes of Una Mullally and Louise O'Neill for several years now, and it's widely circulated among young people on social media as well. It's all over the mainstream. You'd have to cut yourself off from the media entirely to avoid ever coming across a man-shaming headline these days.

Advertisement