Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gillette | Toxic masculinity advert.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Fairly odd meeting they must have had there.

“Who buys our stuff?”
    “Men”
    “All men?”
    “All non bearded men. All clean shaven men”.
    “Right. So no woke hipster men anymore?”
    “Nope. Sales are down since the hipster craze began”
    “interesting. What we need to do is piss off some of those non woke men, that should help sales. ”
    “Eh?”
    “An ad attacking toxic masculinity and blaming all men for it.”
    “Er, Ok. Should we say anything about the blades? The shave.The cut?”
    “Why would we do anything like that in an ad for Gillette? Don’t be stupid man!”
    “....”
    “You still here? Go write that ad”

• Registered Users Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Fairly odd meeting they must have had there.

“Who buys our stuff?”
    “Men”
    “All men?”
    “All non bearded men. All clean shaven men”.
    “Right. So no woke hipster men anymore?”
    “Nope. Sales are down since the hipster craze began”
    “interesting. What we need to do is piss off some of those non woke men, that should help sales. ”
    “Eh?”
    “An ad attacking toxic masculinity and blaming all men for it.”
    “Er, Ok. Should we say anything about the blades? The shave.The cut?”
    “Why would we do anything like that in an ad for Gillette? Don’t be stupid man!”
    “....”
    “You still here? Go write that ad”

To be fair - how many more blades were they going to get on the head of a razor? :D

Honestly though, they’ve had every sort of gimmick between two, three, four and five blades, moisturiser strips, balls, springs... the engineering dept must simply have ran out of ideas, so this is the best the marketing department could come up with to try and sell the Gillette “brand”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

To be fair - how many more blades were they going to get on the head of a razor? :D

Honestly though, they’ve had every sort of gimmick between two, three, four and five blades, moisturiser strips, balls, springs... the engineering dept must simply have ran out of ideas, so this is the best the marketing department could come up with to try and sell the Gillette “brand”.

It's unbelievable. Attacking your target demographic. This must be a first in the history of advertising.

And of course the male feminists who only seem to be on twitter and quite frankly I think many of them are Russian trolls, chime in and say how brave and wonderful it is and figuratively flagellate themselves, and Gillette thinks they have done a wonderful job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I always thought it would be a fairly easy R&D job. After a few years research go into the big management meeting and say:

“We’ve cracked it. After years of research we’ve decided to” ** pause for effect *** “ ADD ANOTHER BLADE! AGAIN!!”

Rapturous applause from the boardroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

What can only be described as radical authoritarian leftist ideologue scumbags have hijacked the social sciences. It is them that are churning out this sh't. And that's exactly what it is, a load of horsesh't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭gw80

steo_magra wrote: »
    interesting comment someone put up earlier which had been deleted as it gathered over 1k likes.

From another forum, another user: I work for P&G the company who owns Gillette. I have to tell you this stuff goes all the way to the top. A VP said in a 100 person meeting that she will never promote a white man again. There was a diversity training I was forced to go to that put up 2 pictures , one of a white male team, and one of non-whites and we were asked "i know its an obvious answer, but look at these 2 teams, which would you rather work with ?" Then they hired a black intern right out of college, he was decent but not great, and had his summer boss give him an offer letter. The salary was 15% higher than the manager which had worked for the company for 13 years. The manager quit 2 weeks later, the project they were working on fell apart. I've never been more miserable working anywhere in my life.
    It's a strange attitude all right, she will "never promote a white man again" considering women have more freedoms, rights, and quality of life in society's and countries built by white men.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I'm really angry about this but my Missus buys my Gillette razors when she's doing the 'big shop' and she's a feisty feminist.

What a pickle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭gw80

myshirt wrote: »
    What can only be described as radical authoritarian leftist ideologue scumbags have hijacked the social sciences. It is them that are churning out this sh't. And that's exactly what it is, a load of horsesh't.
    You are exactly right,
    Some people scoff and dismiss these kind of snowflake, SJW attitudes as confined to liberal universities,and not to be taken seriously but these people go on to get jobs in powerful and influential positions and leach their poison into the mainstream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

These corporations will fall apart if they keep this up. Gillette have been pushing up the price of their blades for ages now, and there is virtually no competition anymore.

Get yourselves one of these - way cheaper and a better shave too 818w6Sd2l%2BL._SY679_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

myshirt wrote: »

What is very noticable is how creativity in the movie industry, media, ad industry is horribly bland...hollywood for instance is tanking....despite all the new blood at the helm!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 217 ✭✭Cockford Ollie

From YouTube comments section / Reddit:

43 examples of men behaving badly, 41 were white.
    7 examples of how to behave properly, 5 were black.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Many of you need new razors that more properly express who you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

The use of the work "toxic" in the thread title makes me cringe as that's from the same stupid camp as this advert.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

https://www.bolinwebb.com/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭Women without Makeup

Also, isn't this the same company who gave millions to assholes like Lance Armstrong and Tiger Woods? Real role models those two.
    Tiger Woods is not an assholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ampleforth

Why does it show one guy actively stopping another from pursuing a woman as she walks past ? Isn't that how we've come so far as a species, are men not supposed to actively pursue women in what is basically the desire to get laid, When did it become so wrong for men to approach women, how does she know when a potential partner is interested if the guy can't even approach her. Men should know when to back off but shouldn't he at least get the chance to try and make an impression

Not any more. Perfect, pure reason has overtaken for a politically-correct, averaged, marketing-friendly man who collects written consent for every human interaction. We live in a brave new world!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Getting tired of these incessant messages which start off from a position that to be a man is inherently a problem. I don't need a shaving advert to give me a lecture. I can only imagine the reaction if a commercial did an equivalent of this for women. Load of patronising guff.

I've used Gillette for two decades but think next time I'll go for a brand that doesn't think its audience are a bunch of creeps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

a 6 month old, blunt Mach 3 does me fine

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Why does it show one guy actively stopping another from pursuing a woman as she walks past ? Isn't that how we've come so far as a species, are men not supposed to actively pursue women in what is basically the desire to get laid, When did it become so wrong for men to approach women, how does she know when a potential partner is interested if the guy can't even approach her. Men should know when to back off but shouldn't he at least get the chance to try and make an impression
    maxresdefault.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I had to look up who made my safety razor. It’s better than the ubiquitous types and you spend a fraction of what you would on blades. Never seen an ad for it. Highly rated in reviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I had to look up who made my safety razor. It’s better than the ubiquitous types and you spend a fraction of what you would on blades. Never seen an ad for it. Highly rated in reviews.

This might be a worse advert than the Gillette one.

Who makes it? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

That ad is painful to watch partly because of the awful acting and partly because it tries so hard to be right on but fails so miserably. It wouldn’t annoy me though, at least not anymore then some hairy gobby feminist rabbiting on would annoy me but I do think it’s part of a dangerous wider message which seems to be growing louder and louder by the day. Those of us that haven’t been taken in by this nonsense just need to keep telling those that have to fluck off till they eventually get the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

Don’t see the problem with this at all. I’ve one simple philosophy on life, don’t be an a$$hole.

If you’re not an a$$hole, methinks, this ad won’t bother you. Surely?

To hell with all this snowflake, PC, feminazi, woke, left vs right crap. Just stop being an a$$hole. Stop falling for this utterly destructive polarising bull****. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Tadeo Brief Taster

Smart Bug wrote: »
    Don’t see the problem with this at all. I’ve one simple philosophy on life, don’t be an a$$hole.

If you’re not an a$$hole, methinks, this ad won’t bother you. Surely?

To hell with all this snowflake, PC, feminazi, woke, left vs right crap. Just stop being an a$$hole. Stop falling for this utterly destructive polarising bull****. Problem solved.

I ageee we have a responsibility of not being a d!ck to one another but, it’s always men are to blame/toxic and women are all saints..., they would in their feck have an advert about toxic women/femininity

And what is the obsession with feminizing men

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

God damn it how do I share a YouTube video on this thing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

vladmydad wrote: »
    God damn it how do I share a YouTube video on this thing ?

Just put the xbguwInLEGg between the youtube tags.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Strange how all of the "offenders" are all white males and all the heroes are black/middle eastern. This ad is cowardly for it's dishonesty, and is simply jumping on a bandwagon of this #MeToo #AllWhiteStraightMenAreBastards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Lone Stone wrote: »

As usual Joe nails it. I like that guy.

Advertisement