Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gillette | Toxic masculinity advert.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,386 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

lmimmfn wrote: »
    The use of the work "toxic" in the thread title makes me cringe as that's from the same stupid camp as this advert.

It's an Important trigger for these types though. It's like their n-word. It's a surefire way to get them all excited about being the victim of society.

Why they think they have to take responsibility for all men is beyond me but it seems to be an important part of the persecution fantasy.

I don't expect to anyone else to take responsibility for me and I don't take responsibility for anyone else but they think they're responsible for all men.

As long as they're happy being miserable. Now't as queer as folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Strange how all of the "offenders" are all white males and all the heroes are black/middle eastern. This ad is cowardly for it's dishonesty, and is simply jumping on a bandwagon of this #MeToo #AllWhiteStraightMenAreBastards.

Strange how you're wrong though. Maybe watch the last two men on the commercial, the ones breaking up the fights are both white men.

Or was your sense of personal outrage blinding you to the obvious?

• Site Banned Posts: 2 Parlopablo

The ad seems to imply that it is wrong to approach people. I think that is nonsense, there is nothing wrong with approaching people, what's wrong is not leaving when it becomes obvious the approachee has no interest in your approach.

• Site Banned Posts: 2 Parlopablo

It's an Important trigger for these types though. It's like their n-word. It's a surefire way to get them all excited about being the victim of society.

Why they think they have to take responsibility for all men is beyond me but it seems to be an important part of the persecution fantasy.

I don't expect to anyone else to take responsibility for me and I don't take responsibility for anyone else but they think they're responsible for all men.

Why do you get so worked up about this stuff, what happened in your life to cause this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Pac1Man wrote: »
    This might be a worse advert than the Gillette one.

Who makes it? :D
    Merkur. The best razor a person can get.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭7aubzxk43m2sni

Except the ad literally says "Men need to hold other men accountable."

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭qwerty ui op

Zorya wrote: »
    As usual Joe nails it. I like that guy.

I like his podcast but this discussion is very poor.

- A group of marketing people were told sell more razors, don't care how you do it just sell more of our ****

- The group decided to use the social left/right devide to sell more of their stuff, thats all this ad is.

how are people makeing the jump?

That a group of unscrupulous marketing professionals are the spokepersons for some imaginary left wing group.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Except the ad literally says "Men need to hold other men accountable."

Which of course suggests that men can somehow stop other men from committing crimes just by asking them or making them feel guilty about their actions but if that were all it took then surely the first thing we might do would be to ask men to stop killing other men in such high numbers. I mean, after all 80% or so of all homicide victims are male and so wouldn't it make sense that if we could just influence evil men to be good men we might start there?

Somehow these people never factor that into whatever algorithm it is they have running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Which of course suggests that men can somehow stop other men from committing crimes just by asking them or making them feel guilty about their actions but if that were all it took then surely the first thing we might do would be to ask men to stop killing other men in such high numbers. I mean, after all 80% or so of all homicide victims are male and so wouldn't it make sense that if we could just influence evil men to be good men we might start there?

Somehow these people never factor that into whatever algorithm it is they have running.

Excellent point.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

professore wrote: »
    These corporations will fall apart if they keep this up. Gillette have been pushing up the price of their blades for ages now, and there is virtually no competition anymore.

Get yourselves one of these - way cheaper and a better shave too [img][/img]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/818w6Sd2l%2BL._SY679_.jpg

Had to use one of them recently. I won't lie, being vaguely terrified I'm about to slice my throat open whilst shaving doesn't trump the quality of the shave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

how are people makeing the jump?

That a group of unscrupulous marketing professionals are the spokepersons for some imaginary left wing group.

Creative crowd are usually more liberal leaning. The problem is that proper lefties don't like to be a tool of corporate advertising either. I actually wonder how this will work because ad seems to be disliked quite a bit on both extremes and there is not that much enthusiasm in the middle either. It doesn't help tgat Gillette is also guilty of some dubious advertising and pricing of female products.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Leaving aside the wider question of whether we should be moralised to by multinational corporations and that this is a cynical ad by a razor company, is there anything that bad about encouraging guys to call out shite behaviour in their peers?

I've been in a few situations where I didn't, and it didn't sit right with me on reflection afterwards.

Standman wrote: »
    I've been in a few situations where I didn't, and it didn't sit right with me on reflection afterwards.

Will you do it now since Gillette told you so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Or ask men to stop killing THEMSELVES in such high numbers.

Had to use one of them recently. I won't lie, being vaguely terrified I'm about to slice my throat open whilst shaving doesn't trump the quality of the shave.

Unless you have a face like the far side of the moon you'll be fine!

Someone on Twitter said that the vast majority of razor blades are bought by the wives and partners of men. In fact women control the vast majority of spending in the US (and probably here too) That was who the ad was aimed at according to them and they could well have a point.

In fact my wife mostly does the shopping and buys me blades, but she has the courtesy to ask me which sort I want first!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Someone on Twitter said that the vast majority of razor blades are bought by the wives and partners of men. In fact women control the vast majority of spending in the US (and probably here too) That was who the ad was aimed at according to them and they could well have a point...

That might well be technically true, but the women are hardly deciding which shaving products the men use, are they? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭Augme

Oh for gods sake. Are you personally responsible for everything bad that every woman in history has done? Who raised these rapists and murderers? Do some research on their backgrounds and you'll see a ****ty mother was involved in most of the cases.

Look up Catherine the Great or Elizabeth 1 to see what "you women" are capable of.

Why not make the same argument for Muslims, black people etc? Because its bigotry. You are a sexist bigot.

I'm a man actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

is there anything that bad about encouraging guys to call out shite behaviour in their peers?

Telling "men" as a group what to do just isn't ok full stop, any more than it'd be considered ok to give orders to women as a group. As individuals, we'll do what we want to do. Nobody gets to say "you're male, so I have the right to give you instructions on how to live your life, where I wouldn't have that right if you were female".

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭PistolsAtDawn

Leaving aside the wider question of whether we should be moralised to by multinational corporations and that this is a cynical ad by a razor company, is there anything that bad about encouraging guys to call out shite behaviour in their peers?

In that case; women should be encouraged to call out the behaviour of their peers also. Don't know how many times I have witnessed a guy gently approach a woman while out only to be viciously rejected and made feel like a pervert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭tashiusclay

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Strange how you're wrong though. Maybe watch the last two men on the commercial, the ones breaking up the fights are both white men.

Or was your sense of personal outrage blinding you to the obvious?

Oh dear...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,194 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Posted elsewhere

This is how you make a positive advert Gillette

Credit iptba

Looking at P&G other adverts just look and compare their nose blind adverts see how many men need febreeze according to them over woman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Tadeo Brief Taster

Your not responsible for your mates (male or female) behavior ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭Augme

In my head I replaced men with black men and we’re with they’re, and that read as a fairly racist sentiment.

Can you show me the stats were black men commit the above mentioned crimes to a massively higher percentage than white men?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Telling "men" as a group what to do just isn't ok full stop, any more than it'd be considered ok to give orders to women as a group. As individuals, we'll do what we want to do. Nobody gets to say "you're male, so I have the right to give you instructions on how to live your life, where I wouldn't have that right if you were female".

It's just that women are told all the time what they must do. Over and over girls are being told to get interested in STEM subjects for example, that until they conquer this area, they are not good enough. We call this encouragement.

Someone on Twitter said that the vast majority of razor blades are bought by the wives and partners of men. In fact women control the vast majority of spending in the US (and probably here too) That was who the ad was aimed at according to them and they could well have a point.

In fact my wife mostly does the shopping and buys me blades, but she has the courtesy to ask me which sort I want first!

I heard that argument, I don't think Gillette believe that or there would be less Gillette ads during football games and more during programmes targeting women. I watch more football than Dancing With the Stars or EastEnders so my perception could be skewed but I don't think there are many ads for men razors then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Why does it show one guy actively stopping another from pursuing a woman as she walks past ? Isn't that how we've come so far as a species, are men not supposed to actively pursue women in what is basically the desire to get laid, When did it become so wrong for men to approach women, how does she know when a potential partner is interested if the guy can't even approach her. Men should know when to back off but shouldn't he at least get the chance to try and make an impression

There's an agenda to portray men pursuing women as being inherently predatory, anything that remotely resembles initiative or desire is scary. I just see the more absurd parodies in South Park creeping into reality, it has to implode, otherwise we're headed into some weird Philip K Dick future.

He my be not but people are tarnished by behaviour of their friends. And yes I think good responsible friends would challenge bad behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Technically not responsible but from a code of human decency, surly it would be better to do what you can. if, say, you were being attacked yourself, would you rather someone came along with the attitude not my responsibility or someone who would leave a shout out of them or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

That's true, but how does that translate to how we should behave in these situations? Is it OK to stand idly by in silence? It doesn't feel OK.

Advertisement