Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gillette | Toxic masculinity advert.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,705 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

givyjoe wrote: »
    You picked up hatred from that? Are you serious?

How did you not?
    nullzero wrote: »
    No I don't have a female behaviour in mind that should be the focus of an ad.
    I don't see women in those terms, i see humans as fundamentally flawed beings who inflict pain and suffering in each other. It isn't the fault of one gender (or as you so cryptically said "a certain gender", what point could you be trying to make there i wonder?) or the other.
    This sjw gender politics nonsense has to stop.

The very mentality of people who espouse this nonsense is frightening. I've been listening to the podcast of the former Newstalk presenter Dil W (not going to attempt to butcher the womans surname) and she only interviews people she agrees with and harps on about how wonderful it is to not have to listen to the opinions of people she doesnt agree with anymore.

It's time to wake up and grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

How did you not?

Eh, are you kidding me? You've been one of the main contributors ridiculing posters for being over sensitive to this ad and seeing things that aren't there.. and you're saying how could you not take hatred from that post, specifically the parts you highlighted?! Having an absolute laugh.

Eh, are you kidding me? You've been one of the main contributors ridiculing posters for being over sensitive to this ad and seeing things that aren't there.. and you're saying how could you not take hatred from that post, specifically the parts you highlighted?! Having an absolute laugh.

If these are phrases you use about a podcast you think you enjoy.
    The very mentality of people who espouse this nonsense is frightening.
    she only interviews people she agrees with and harps on about how wonderful it is to not have to listen to the opinions of people she doesnt agree with anymore
    It's time to wake up and grow up.

I've news for you, you don't actually enjoy it. Maybe 'hate' is too strong a word, I doubt it though.

P.S. I'm not ridiculing anyone. I'm discussing the topic at hand. There is a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

I personally think the fact that the ad is coming from Gillette is the worst thing about it. This is the brand that has always advertised "the best a man can get" as "good looking women, fast cars, planes, high powered jobs".

The fecking irony.

I do think some men in particular though are getting way too wound up about "man hating society" etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

Relax there joe. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

If these are phrases you use about a podcast you think you enjoy.

I've news for you, you don't actually enjoy it. Maybe 'hate' is too strong a word, I doubt it though.

P.S. I'm not ridiculing anyone. I'm discussing the topic at hand. There is a difference.

Thanks for agreeing with me. Dislike is the word you were looking for.

BBFAN wrote: »
    Relax there joe. :rolleyes:

What?

Thanks for agreeing with me. Dislike is the word you were looking for.

Wow. Thank God men aren't over sensitive. I'll stick with the hate interpretation though thanks.

Wow. Thank God men aren't over sensitive. I'll stick with the hate interpretation though thanks.

Sweet sweet irony.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

And here we have Wibbs stepping in to diffuse the situation. Something he now knows how to do having watched the Gillette ad. ;);)

inception+meme.png
    Bannasidhe wrote: »
    :D:D:D:D
    And you can feck off an all.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Tadeo Brief Taster

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    This is exactly it.

Social media has given the crazies a mouthpiece, and lazy journalists are only too happy to publish this crap for online click revenue. It’s snowballing to such an extent that you have normal level headed people of all genders getting sucked in.

We’re at a point now where it’s a case of whoever shouts loudest is ‘right’.

So much this, im sick of "news sites/paper" like the Journal, Daily Edge, Indo, taking crap off twitter and claiming people are "outraged" on twitter about something and its just a journalist taking 3/4 tweets and claiming its outrage

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

So much this, im sick of "news sites/paper" like the Journal, Daily Edge, Indo, taking crap off twitter and claiming people are "outraged" on twitter about something and its just a journalist taking 3/4 tweets and claiming its outrage

It's also funny how so many of the outraged account's these hacks link to, have smeg all followers and if their previous postings are searched, tend to show them as having very dodgy posting histories.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭An_Toirpin

Having not seen any data to that effect I can only consider taking your word for it. Which I don't smile.png Which leaves the conversation at somewhat of an impasse.

I certainly know I find them attractive traits. I know many of my peers do. And I know I find my current partners highly attractive. And I know others seem too as well.

So as I said - you do not speak for me in this regard or anyone I know. More than that I do not have the data to say.

But let us randomly take one of the traits from the list you are replying to. Being responsible. There is data that suggests women do not aspire to this trait? How so? You mean at all? Or what exactly does it mean to say "not in the same way"? You are a braver person than I to come on to a social media platform like this and say women do not have aspirations to be responsible smile.png So I would find clarification interesting and informative.
    You are misrepresenting me. Anyone can be responsible. That isn't questioned. What is notable is that women give higher preference to marrying 'up' or perhaps more strongly, more aversion against marrying 'down' than men. People who do well always have taken some responsibility whether they are plumbers or bankers. Thus there is more is much higher pressure on men to 'do well' where it is through some kind of achievement or career success. Women who have taken responsibility are no less attractive and its an advantage but its secondary.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,606 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

If you make any negative comment even in the slightest. You are labelled as an angry crazy individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

I don't think men are outraged, I think it's ironically Gillette are trying to market morals and values towards kid's.
    Basically it's saying over your forefathers history, men haven't exactly been good to women, and it's time to shape up etc.

So young lad be a good man and you'll get the best a man can get.

What unnerved me was the advert was very touchy feely and cringe worthy.

Boy's at that age should be out mucking around, being little bollixes now and again, get into the odd fight, get lost in the Woods, get your feet wet now and fall of a tree, catch some bees.
    Bring home hedgehog's, build a fort.
    Play football, or some kind of sports if they're into it.

Life's short enough than to be stunted and putting the fear of not being a man if you don't abide by the rules.

Rule's are ok but sometimes we have to be ferral and free...

Fck that, preparing them for a new world of emasculation I say NO

Christopher Hitches RIP said if the lefties and third wave femminists get their way, people will have no freedom of speech or confidence to be themselves....

No offense to be taken by this post, it's an observation rather than an attack on the monster called liberal or conservative

If you make any negative comment even in the slightest. You are labelled as an angry crazy individual.

or don't follow their leanings, your a ist/phobe etc

• Registered Users Posts: 30,606 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

or don't follow their leanings, your a ist/phobe etc

It's lucky the dont read the comments on here and write articles on topics!

It's lucky the dont read the comments on here and write articles on topics!

Don't give Una Mullaly and the like ideas :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Anyone remember when waterford whispers was funny?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Muckka wrote: »
    I don't think men are outraged, I think it's ironically Gillette are trying to market morals and values towards kid's.
    Basically it's saying over your forefathers history, men haven't exactly been good to women, and it's time to shape up etc.

If they're telling kids that they should be the relationship taliban who's job is to physically restrain other men from chatting up women they're trying to market arse kickings because that's what that behaviour will get you

Here's a handy piece of advise for kids, don't take advice from people who despise you. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Wibbs wrote: »
    inception+meme.png

Banned

:cool:

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

It's usually women who look after these young men in their infant years. Then they start primary school after that, which is also predominantly female dominated. Just where are these young men picking up this toxic masculinity?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Banned

i-walked-right-into-that-one.jpg
    :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Bambi wrote: »

About the same time when Boards was relevant

It's usually women who look after these young men in their infant years. Then they start primary school after that, which is also predominantly female dominated. Just where are these young men picking up this toxic masculinity?

MTV

Wibbs wrote: »
    inception+meme.png

Banned

I think you should set his ban aside... :cool:

I think its possible we learn more from our peers than we do from our carers as a newborn or academic teachers in terms of behaviours.

"Children's Peer Relations and Social Competence: A Century of Progress," Gary Ladd, Arizona State University professor of psychology
    "Children begin their lives in the social world of their families, however, as they mature they are introduced to the social world of peers and spend increasing amounts of time with kids their own age," Ladd says. "The types of relationships they form differ from those they have with parents and siblings and teach them unique skills that impact their development. Peer relationships are more balanced and the partners tend to bring similar levels of ability, reasoning and skill to their interactions."

Bambi wrote: »

I'm guessing it was about 30 seconds before they posted something you disagreed with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

lbc2019 wrote: »
    I think you should set his ban aside... :cool:

Dammit.
    My just repaired laptop is now covered in nose ejected coffee. :mad:

BANNAED.

:D:D

Advertisement