Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gillette | Toxic masculinity advert.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

Imagine reducing the entire enterprise of building a relationship, forming a family unit and supporting each other, to "pussy".

I don't use the term toxic masculinity because I don't know what it means. But the attitude shown above is clearly indicative of something that's not great.

I'm grateful for your response.

I think you know what I mean.

If all a man's interested in is getting laid, and forgets about himself and his responsibility. Then he's lost all accountability and respect for himself...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Muckka wrote: »
    Oh how I remember those days, myself and someone else hammering the **** out of each other.
    Got a few beatings and I probably deserved it, but I loved a good scrap.

It's considered uncivilised nowadays.

Dad would be of the sort of guy who'd say did ye shake hands afterwards....

I'd say yes, good man he'd say...

Boy's could become the best of friends after beating the living lard out of one another.

Women on the other hand would hold onto a resentment forever....

We had a neighbour who only had sisters at home, he used to come over to our house which was only fellas and get roughed up. He went home delighted, if a kid was vulnerable though we'd look out for them. Nobody had to tell us that, it was instinctual.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Gillette ads are obviously not suitable for posters with sensitive skins.

And based on some of the childish arguments here there's quite a few here who probably haven't even started shaving yet. :p

Seanachai wrote: »
    We had a neighbour who only had sisters at home, he used to come over to our house which was only fellas and get roughed up. He went home delighted, if a kid was vulnerable though we'd look out for them. Nobody had to tell us that, it was instinctual.

Exactly, I was the same look out for the vunerable lads especially what were called pansy's.
    They weren't able to stick up for themselves.
    So we'd always back them up, there was always an effiminet lad in a group who'd be a good friend but couldn't beat his way out of a paper bag. Bless

Back in the 90's and 80's huh where boy's could be boy's.

And based on some of the childish arguments here there's quite a few here who probably haven't even started shaving yet. :p

I haven't shaved since November lol apart from a trim.....
    You're right, sure we're not shaving until Gillette say's sorry.... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,704 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

What I'm finding entertaining is the number who are saying that since the conversation about this ad they have moved to another brand and have found them much cheaper, better quality and so on.

If it took this furore to enlighten some people about the cost associated with Gillette and the quality of the product then maybe it proves some people need to be guided more than they would like to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Exactly, I was the same look out for the vunerable lads especially what were called pansy's.
    They weren't able to stick up for themselves.
    So we'd always back them up, there was always an effiminet lad in a group who'd be a good friend but couldn't beat his way out of a paper bag. Bless

Back in the 90's and 80's huh where boy's could be boy's.

Reminds me of the line from Orwell's Notes on Nationalism: "Those who ‘abjure’ violence can only do so because others are committing violence on their behalf." :pac:

jimgoose wrote: »
    Reminds me of the line from Orwell's Notes on Nationalism: "Those who ‘abjure’ violence can only do so because others are committing violence on their behalf." :pac:

Yeah, George McGovern was clearly talking about his local schoolyard playground when he said "I'm fed up to the ears with old men dreaming up wars for young men to die in".

It's all behind me now, I had my last stand in 1990 I lost...

But everyone's a winner nowadays.

I don't like fighting, but sometimes a man has to fight.
    If it came down to it, I'd walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

What I'm finding entertaining is the number who are saying that since the conversation about this ad they have moved to another brand and have found them much cheaper, better quality and so on.

If it took this furore to enlighten some people about the cost associated with Gillette and the quality of the product then maybe it proves some people need to be guided more than they would like to think.

I find it bizarre that so many men would spend a fortune on Gillette blades. I buy the Aldi 5-blade razors and they give a perfectly good shave. Think they cost €3.99 for four (I may be wrong here, but they are very inexpensive). Pack of four will last me a couple of weeks.

I did have a Gillette Fusion set given to me for Christmas years ago, and after buying the replacement blades once, I realised that they were massively overpriced and no better than the Aldi ones.

• Advertisement

Yeah, George McGovern was clearly talking about his local schoolyard playground when he said "I'm fed up to the ears with old men dreaming up wars for young men to die in".

Yes, because clearly that's what I said. :pac:

Yes, because clearly that's what I said. :pac:

Sorry, I thought we were posting quotes that were irrelevant to the topic.

Your tone seems kind of dismissive, I think annoyance and frustration gets conflated with over-sensitivity, I'm seeing a lot of annoyance, anger and frustration against the ad, but the ad is the tip of the iceberg. Being honest about it, there's also a genuine fear and worry that I feel is completely warranted given the agendas that are being played out by certain academics, politicians, celebrities etc. It's not being over-sensitive to see something bad coming down the tracks.

There's a lot of people I know who have serious issues with being guilted and shoe-horned into 1) Believing that there is something wrong with their views and how they live and 2) That if they don't change to the prescribed adjustment, they will be at a disadvantage in society, finding a partner, career, social standing etc. This ad is gaslighting, it's lame and shabby as hell, but it's creeping into culture more and more.

Sorry, I thought we were posting quotes that were irrelevant to the topic.

I bet you're a riot at parties. :D

Your tone seems kind of dismissive, I think annoyance and frustration gets conflated with over-sensitivity, I'm seeing a lot of annoyance, anger and frustration against the ad, but the ad is the tip of the iceberg. Being honest about it, there's also a genuine fear and worry that I feel is completely warranted given the agendas that are being played out by certain academics, politicians, celebrities etc. It's not being over-sensitive to see something bad coming down the tracks.

There's a lot of people I know who have serious issues with being guilted and shoe-horned into 1) Believing that there is something wrong with their views and how they live and 2) That if they don't change to the prescribed adjustment, they will be at a disadvantage in society, finding a partner, career, social standing etc. This ad is gas-lighting, it's lame and shabby as hell, but it's creeping into culture more and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭LotharIngum

Theres a part of that video of a guy running dragging his child with him so he can break up a fight.
    I have intervened in arguments like that, but no way in hell would I get into it with my child with me.
    I would neither want my child to see me hurt someone else or worse, for him to see someone else to hurt me.

There's a lot of people I know who have serious issues with being guilted and shoe-horned into 1) Believing that there is something wrong with their views and how they live and 2) That if they don't change to the prescribed adjustment, they will be at a disadvantage in society, finding a partner, career, social standing etc. This ad is gas-lighting, it's lame and shabby as hell, but it's creeping into culture more and more.

I had to look up what gas lighting is, it certainly is that.

Absolute emasculation going on there.

It's aimed at the sort of men who'll more than likely end up on the seperation or divorce statistics to be honest.

The second best kind of guy's, it totally goes against the spirit of being a man.

While the guy who's confident, a bit of an ass and has chizzeled look's will always be more attractive in the long run.....

What are the messages in the ad?
    Respect. Non-violence. Setting a positive example.

If this is shabby as hell and is viewed as 'creeping in to our culture' then we truly do have a problem.

And I know you'll respond and say 'it's not that', 'it's an ad trying to influence societal behaviour'. But to that I would say; A: that is what ads do, try to influence behaviour and B; that is choosing to ignore the message.

If this was a Gillette ad where it was for their womens range and it showed men fighting, harassing women etc and then the catch line was "ladies, we are different in nearly every way, but we still use the same best razor products" i would agree that it was demeaning to men. But this version, I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭buried

Laughable wollixology this is. Why dont the head CEO's of Procter & Gamble really get on board with some actual equality and hand their CEO positions over to some ladies? Come on David Taylor, Jon Moeller, Alan G Lafley, Scott Cook, "lets make the world a better place" and give some corporate directorships to some women for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,491 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Well, full marks for taking everything literally.

The message is that when fighting is aggressive, it is right to stop it. Is that a wrong message?

how else can I take it? its their examples. I remember when junior was very young, another kid in a playground was kicking him in the back of the leg for no particular reason. Junior didn't know what to do , his grandmother told him (in German) to move away or kick him back, he chose to kick him back and the other kid went off crying. Everyone learned a lesson, parents intervening would have slowed down the learning

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

I had to look up what gas lighting is, it certainly is that.

Absolute emasculation going on there.

It's aimed at the sort of men who'll more than likely end up on the seperation or divorce statistics to be honest.

The second best kind of guy's, it totally goes against the spirit of being a man.

While the guy who's confident, a bit of an ass and has chizzeled look's will always be more attractive in the long run.....

'3 Seconds ago I didn't know what something meant, but I researched with a bias to prove my position and I found it did so perfectly...'

As for your final point, if you listened to what women say they want in a man, you'll find there is more to attraction than appearance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Well the time is definitely ripe for another company to make a "oh, look, we actually DON'T hate men" advert and rake in a few customers of their own. Probably what I'd do..

Egard Watches has dome just that. In fact, it may become a bit of a ''thing'' now. Every cloud has a silver lining :)

'3 Seconds ago I didn't know what something meant, but I researched with a bias to prove my position and I found it did so perfectly...'

As for your final point, if you listened to what women say they want in a man, you'll find there is more to attraction than appearance.

Initial attraction is appearance, then they get out the clipboard after that and weigh up his hypergamy status....

The next is the **** test, this usually happens within 90 days
    Basically it's to see how much **** he'll put up with.....

Zorya wrote: »
    ...Egard Watches has dome just that. In fact, it may become a bit of a ''thing'' now. Every cloud has a silver lining :)

"...We see the good in men..." Oh for fuck sake, that's even worse than the Gillette bollixology. So what are we now, Darth Vader??

The next is the **** test, this usually happens within 90 days
    Basically it's to see how much **** he'll put up with.....

Hehe the **** on your first line I read as **** and then I realised in the second line that by **** you meant ****. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

They've lost me as a customer. I'm not going to be dictated to or labelled just to drive their bottom line. Im not sensitive , I just know to to think and act without these sh1theads telling me how.

Hehe the **** on your first line I read as **** and then I realised in the second line that by **** you meant ****. :D

But all in all I don't think anythings wrong with the **** test or hypergamy.

If I was a woman and was looking for a partner, of course id want an attractive, tall dark and handsome strong man.

I'd prefer if his earning potential would be excellent, who wouldn't.

After all it's the woman's choice.
    And I don't think there's anything wrong with testing a man's tollerence either.

It's all part of nature.

I watched a doe drive a stag mad the other day.
    I was in an old estate where there's plenty of deer.

She made him jump through hoops and bounds to see how far he'd follow her.

Poor guy nearly collapsed keeping up with her.

It's nature...

"...We see the good in men..." Oh for fuck sake, that's even worse than the Gillette bollixology. So what are we now, Darth Vader??

Ah, come on Jim, it's a nice advert. :) The company owner did the script, narration and editing himself in a short time. Give him a break, cost a lot less that Kim Gehrig's.

Cannot believe her Viva la Vulva advert hasn't cropped up here yet (as far as I saw)...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

if you listened to what women say they want in a man, you'll find there is more to attraction than appearance.
    I have overwhelmingly found that observing what Men™ Women™ actually go for is far more informative than what they say they want in a Man™.

For a start women tend to simply be more kind than men, less direct, more consensus driven and much more likely to tell others what they think they want to hear out of that kindness. And not just on this topic.

TBH regardless of gender I find it generally more useful to observe what people do rather than what they say.

As for appearance, it would be my opinion that women are just as into appearance as men, they're just less overt about it, just as they are less overt when checking men out. Outside of a minority of men with influencing factors like wealth/power/more than usual levels of charisma couples are consistently around the same levels of attractiveness as each other. While I dislike the 1-10 scale nonsense, but for illustrative purposes; 5's are nearly always with 5's, 8's with 8's etc. Research backs this up, not just opinion.

Now no doubt some will claim that their GF(less so BF) is way better looking than them and so on, but that's very subjective and people tend to downplay their own attractiveness for a few reasons(not appearing to be an egotistical eejit being the main one). Plus when you're in love you do see your partner as being special and "out of your league" and all that. Rightfully so.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Egard Watches has dome just that. In fact, it may become a bit of a ''thing'' now. Every cloud has a silver lining :)

Well ****, hahaha :D

Advertisement