Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gillette | Toxic masculinity advert.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

backspin. wrote: »
    I'm interested to see how this turns out. I normally buy those 2 blade blue razer's. Either Gillette or BIC. Now I will make sure to always buy the BIC ones.

https://www.impactbnd.com/blog/how-dollar-shave-club-grew-from-just-a-viral-video-to-a-615m-valuation-brand

Watch what real advertising is on this link..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,702 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

professore wrote: »
    Would you?

How would someone else intervening "stop it"?

You would need 2 big guys at least and it's still 50/50 there would be a big fight, criminal record etc.

Or the parents of the bullies accuse you of being a paedo.

Have you ever been in an actual street fight?

First bolded part - Of course I would prefer if someone stopped. How would you not. Someone intervening would likely "stop it" (what's with the " ") because bullies/dicks don't usually (but not always, I know) like attention being drawn to dickish behaviour.

Second bolded part - :D:D Seriously? What age are you?
    Are you suggesting that everyone who performs in any way inappropriately is also going to react by going straight to physical violence? If so, then there definitely needs to be action taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Im done with gillette now, im just sick and tired of all this PC bull**** , men are at fault for everything crap. Im not with his mother but i see my son 5 days a week, that includes 3 days i get him from school, Why is it always men who have to move out from the home when couples split up, He's never seen me drunk or spending all day lying on the couch after a night out, which his mam does regularly. ive to give her money every week although he spends more time with me that her.I bring him to all his sports and rearing him as i think best.

I did tell him to stop crying if he hurt himself and told him told about sticks and stones,if another boy pushes him , i tell him to push them pack. i dont want my son to grow and be a little cry baby. Is that toxic masculinity??? well if it is , im guilty of it. Theres a difference between masculinity and fellas just being assholes. And i dont think assholes are gonna change after watching that patronising ad.

Im done with gillette now, im just sick and tired of all this PC bull**** , men are at fault for everything crap. Im not with his mother but i see my son 5 days a week, that includes 3 days i get him from school, Why is it always men who have to move out from the home when couples split up, He's never seen me drunk or spending all day lying on the couch after a night out, which his mam does regularly. ive to give her money every week although he spends more time with me that her.I bring him to all his sports and rearing him as i think best.

I did tell him to stop crying if he hurt himself and told him told about sticks and stones,if another boy pushes him to push them pack. i dont want my son to grow and be a little cry baby. Is that toxic masculinity??? well if it is , im guilty of it. Theres a difference between masculinity and fellas just being assholes. And i dont think assholes are gonna change after watching that patronising ad.

They mightn't. They most probably won't.

But they are more likely to change if their peers call them on excessive behaviour. The ad was about suggesting setting a positive example more so than stopping the bad behaviour.

The ad was somewhat patronising, but isn't every corporate ad? Is there not something patronising about new cars being advertised driving through empty city streets and how different that is from reality.

Finally, the term toxic masculinity is a ridiculous word, and it is used by many who do seek to blame all men for all problems. But it also used by some men to describe how unacceptable behaviour is actually ok.
    Personally I would rather not see it used at all as it is as relevant as the word feminazi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

As usual YouTube removing dislikes and comments on the ad, just like that migration ad a while back, what kind of times do we live in

• Advertisement

I did tell him to stop crying if he hurt himself and told him told about sticks and stones,if another boy pushes him to push them pack. i dont want my son to grow and be a little cry baby. Is that toxic masculinity??? well if it is , im guilty of it. Theres a difference between masculinity and fellas just being assholes. And i dont think assholes are gonna change after watching that patronising ad.

If you were the one lying on the couch hungover from the night before, you can be dam sure you'd hear about it.

I'm in a similar scenario as yourself.
    My lads nearly 18 now, but his mum's still a functioning alcoholic....

You know there's as many women out there as there are men who put drink and drugs before their kid's....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

But they are more likely to change if their peers call them on excessive behaviour. The ad was about suggesting setting a positive example more so than stopping the bad behaviour.

This is a private company looking to flog razors. What do they really care about men's behaviour and what business is it of theirs anyway.

I for one certainly won't be leactured by a big company with some questionable practices themselves.

Muckka wrote: »
    If you were the one lying on the couch hungover from the night before, you can be dam sure you'd hear about it.

I'm in a similar scenario as yourself.
    My lads nearly 18 now, but his mum's still a functioning alcoholic....

You know there's as many women out there as there are men who put drink and drugs before their kid's....

Totally agreed mate, i know her and most of her friends drink wine every night watching whatever reality crap is on then telly. Great example to be setting.

This is a private company looking to flog razors. What do they really care about men's behaviour and what business is it of theirs anyway.

I for one certainly won't be leactured by a big company with some questionable practices themselves.

They are no different to any other corporation.

Do you get equally annoyed at companies who talk about saving the planet while pushing diesel engines?

Or companies that show healthy fit people while pushing unhealthy food and targeting children?

It's unbelievable how people are gullible to think Gillette means well by their advert.

Basically someone with a messed up reality decided to think this will turn more men into soy men

Ironically soy men are usually hipster's with beard's....

Talk about shooting one's self in the foot

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Totally agreed mate, i know her and most of her friends drink wine every night watching whatever reality crap is on then telly. Great example to be setting.

Probably coming up with new ways to turn the screws on you with her team of advisors..

Well the way I look at it any man who can stand alone and be himself, without ending up with one of these harpies is a man who deserves a real woman.

Imagine all the poor lads waking up to this every day, and going to bed with it.
    Yeuchh
    The father bringing the kids up because mummy's sick again from drink.
    I've seen it over and over, but you'll only hear about men abusing booze.

I hear a percentage of women these days think it's ok to have a bottle of wine every night.

Probably coming up with new ways to turn the screws on you with her team of advisors..

They do this frequently, gossiping and having meltdowns.

Some are so bad a treatment center would turn them away.

I have a friend in AA he told me in the last 20 years of his sobriety he can only remember a few women who expressed regret on how they badly treated their kid's and exe husband...
    On the other hand men show more remorse.

I believe him.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

This is pretty much exactly what was said in some quarters about Nike after they aired the Kaepernick ad. (supported by outraged people destroying Nike gear online as well)

They saw a 5% increase in value in the 4 months after the ad.

Is going to be interesting to see Gillette results.

Short term gains are probably to be expected - extra publicity, and some will make a point to buy the product if, I dunno, it supports their ideological/ political stance. It is what it is. I think in most cases it might be a year or more to see what, if any damage, is done. Personally I don't think this kind of ideological/political pandering will end well in most cases. I'm not a genius in marketing, but I think it's safe enough to say that consciously alienating a large % of your target market is pure stupidity. The times we live in, eh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

The ad was somewhat patronising, but isn't every corporate ad? Is there not something patronising about new cars being advertised driving through empty city streets and how different that is from reality.

Finally, the term toxic masculinity is a ridiculous word, and it is used by many who do seek to blame all men for all problems. But it also used by some men to describe how unacceptable behaviour is actually ok.
    Personally I would rather not see it used at all as it is as relevant as the word feminazi.

You think boys are like girls. They aren't. They don't care what the son of some radical feminist says to them. These guys peers are assholes too. That's the whole point. Anyone "calling them out" will get the sh1t kicked out of them. If you want them to stop you have to be prepared to use your fists. That's the only language they understand.

It's quite Darwinian actually.

Boys and girls grow up in parallel universes. Girls are constantly praised and admired while boys aren't. Boys have to stand up for themselves or be bullied by the percentage of boys who are bullies. Then when they get a bit older they see that the hot girls go after the bullies. Until this changes there will always be bullies.

Sure you can raise your kids to be good kids. Or at least try, as there are people who are just born bad. But you can't raise other peoples kids.

manual_man wrote: »
    Short term gains are probably to be expected - extra publicity, and some will make a point to buy the product if, I dunno, it supports their ideological/ political stance. It is what it is. I think in most cases it might be a year or more to see what, if any damage, is done. Personally I don't think this kind of ideological/political pandering will end well in most cases. I'm not a genius in marketing, but I think it's safe enough to say that consciously alienating a large % of your target market is pure stupidity. The times we live in, eh

Maybe, or maybe they are realising that the % of the market is shifting towards supporting such causes.

It's moving in that direction even though it has a bit to go and there is fight back in some areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Ahh adblocker and internet gaming..... thankfully filters out all of these ads from my life! :D

Infini wrote: »
    Ahh adblocker and internet gaming..... thankfully filters out all of these ads from my life! :D
    Adblocker
    is the business!!! Long it may it reign.

On the odd occasion where I end up in an explorer browser I'm like "what the F is going on here"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Add blocker for TV ads? Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Maybe, or maybe they are realising that the % of the market is shifting towards supporting such causes.

It's moving in that direction even though it has a bit to go and there is fight back in some areas.

I think it's a sign of the times. It's not that I necessarily disagree with your point about certain trends. It's just that as a long term strategy I think it's corporate suicide.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

It wasn't broadcast here

• Registered Users Posts: 20,385 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

professore wrote: »

You can make the same argument for the N word or any other racist or sexist slur. Yet those are unacceptable in public discourse. Either allow everything or allow nothing. Some decent guy might be on the edge of killing himself and something like that could push him over the edge.

I can't help thinking ye wind yourselves up by banding it about. I've seen it thrown about so liberally in these threads I almost expect to hear it shoved down my throat in the real world.

The complete lack of in the real world kinda highlights that you have to go looking for the word and you lad provide loads of it to each other.

I don't feel this oppression you lads seem to experience all the time.

Edit. There's a thread in after hours "have we reached peak beard?" Which consisted of lots of men having a pop at hipsters with their hipster beards and then went on to have a wider pop at how they dress and behave. I don't think there were a significant number of female posters and thee was absolutely no feminism involved.

That thread wound me up because it was men having a go at youngnen over absolutely nothing.

Now that doesn't seem to bother the men in this thread. But if a feminist said it, they'd start to worry about "what if a hipster was on the brink of suicide..."

Such a shame that it takes feminism to bring men together.

What causes though?? most men agree that men who sexually harass and assault women should get locked up and for a lot longer that they do here. I've always been a left leaning guy regarding politics, but the PC bullcrap and fake outrage at jokes and comments. Its no wonder right wing politics is on the rise across the globe. Normal people are getting sick and tired of PC crap everywhere now and the Left are driving people to the Right and they've only themselves to blame. The result of that is an idiot like Donald Trump in power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

[quote="El_Duderino 09;109183761"

I don't feel this oppression you lads seem to experience all the time.[/quote]

You mustnt know any outspoken feminists. I know a couple of them that go on like this. I've tried to have a discussion a few times but it's like talking to a religious fanatic.

It's not about feeling oppressed for me, it's about basic fairness. I don't believe in demeaning anyone based on them being born into a gender, sexuality etc. I hate discrimination in all its forms.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Maybe. I'm not so sure. The fight back is pretty evident too and gaining traction. The extreme right wing has a following now it didn't have ten years ago. What is certainly happening is a hardening of polarised opinions on all sides.

I would also argue that the progressive for the want of a better word direction isn't the panacea many feel it to be. Like I noted earlier: The countries with the highest number or women executives, CEO's and company owners? It isn't the Scandinavian type "right on gender equality" nations, it's countries like Russia, Brazil, China, India and a few in Africa. Nations and cultures that are very much of the more masculine/feminine defined roles and not a quota in sight. Norway brought in one of the first quota systems for jobs and yet you can count the number of top executives and CEO's in Norway on the fingers of one hand. After an unfortunate accident with a lawnmower.

This polarisation does seem to be good for business, or at least the keyholders of business seem to think so. And it makes a lot of sense to target the "you go girl!" market, either directly or indirectly like this Gillette ad, as women have never had so much spending money and choice and industry has already a century of practice at targeting women. The largest transfer of capital in US history has been from men to women over the last four decades. It's all about the ringing tills and The Money™ will follow and foster whatever keeps them ringing.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Well from my experiences the last year, women are far more cruel and vindictive than men, they rarely show remorse or sorrow for anything they do and it's always the mans fault, even when evidence points at them, it's still somehow all and only the mens fault. They can just switch off because somehow they feel above it all "queen" and all that nonsense with their equally awful "bad bitches" friends. Obviously not all women, but when they're bad they're bad, yet that's never really talked about, it's always men are bastards, women are great, be like women, men.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

TV is so last century. Its all Netflix and on demand box sets now! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Such a shame that it takes feminism to bring men together.

You are renowned at this stage for posting questionable comments in various threads. This is ONE of your worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

First bolded part - Of course I would prefer if someone stopped. How would you not. Someone intervening would likely "stop it" (what's with the " ") because bullies/dicks don't usually (but not always, I know) like attention being drawn to dickish behaviour.

Second bolded part - :D:D Seriously? What age are you?
    Are you suggesting that everyone who performs in any way inappropriately is also going to react by going straight to physical violence? If so, then there definitely needs to be action taken.

You seem to be completely oblivious and naieve to what potentially can happen when intervening. It's all very well you preaching people should Intervene, but you're clearly completely ignorant of the possibilities of what happens next.

The point is, you've no idea how they might react as you don't know them. But some scummer acting the maggot is hardly going to react well from some stranger butting in. The fact you even need this explained proves my point.

• Advertisement

givyjoe wrote: »
    You seem to be completely oblivious and naieve to what potentially can happen when intervening. It's all very well you preaching people should Intervene, but you're clearly completely ignorant of the possibilities of what happens next.

The point is, you've no idea how they might react as you don't know them. But some scummer acting the maggot is hardly going to react well from some stranger butting in. The fact you even need this explained proves my point.

It seems you think that the only unacceptable behaviour is that which involves physically violent interactions.

I suggest you watch the ad another couple of times. What you are getting hot about is very different to what it portrays.

Maybe you know that and just want to kick the sh*t out of a strawman safe in the knowledge no one is going to intervene.

Advertisement