Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gillette | Toxic masculinity advert.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

mickuhaha wrote: »
    Is Gillette qualified to work as mental health coordinator for society? Did he not sell jets or something....

I believe in the private sector. There is demand for Gillettte. I say let mental health people sells their wares in the real world without government aid. Surely the cure for self pity is a slap across the face and a stiff upper lip.

Now sing the song, Gillette the best a man can get :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Ever hear of killing the golden goose.............

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

Zorya wrote: »
    Like Joe Rogan said, well to paraphrase him, you think the obnoxious rapey piece of crap is gonna look at the Gillette ad and go whoa Bro I'm gonna up my lifestyle game and be a better man.

The vast majority who are already sound don't need this crap and the bollixes won't give a damn what an ad says. So it's just some kind of idiotic signalling.

Have you any nice friends who think like yourself :)

All joke's and inuendo aside, your man is one lucky guy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,385 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Whats with the passive aggressive tone??? It is hard to believe you don't take moral philosophy from an advert and yet here you are getting all hot and bothered about a conversation on an anonymous forum!!!

Don't worry about me, decades of life's ups and downs haven't yet robbed me of my ability to enjoy life!!

This is more than you're typical run of the mill advert....and well you know it!

You're telling me about the morals you picked up from the advert and I'm telling you I don't take moral philosophy from adverts. I strongly suggest you decide your own morals without considering ads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

You're telling me about the morals you picked up from the advert and I'm telling you I don't take moral philosophy from adverts. I strongly suggest you decide your own morals without considering ads.

What?

That doesn't make any sense...you are getting (if your tone is anything to go by) a bit too passive aggressive for my taste...I should know better, radicals don't do discussion!

Dannyriver wrote: »
    Approaching should be left up to women anyways in this day and age, too much a risk for men, unfortunately women's egos wouldn't handle the rejection

:eek:

It's hard to tell whether this is real or not. I would normally assume it's parody but I'm really beginning to think some men take this stuff seriously.

If they get really bad reactions when they talk to women then maybe it's best they dont talk to women. Most people have Completely normal chats with women.

...be sure to stop any man who approaches one of your female friends...you're world needs you!!
    But according to that ad, talking to/approaching women is toxic...hopefully one of your lads will be well versed in radical feminist rhetoric and stop you engaging with women!!

Things like approaching women (which is no easy task) which is something I've done plenty of times...is now toxic.

Play fighting, which I would have done as a kid, is toxic.

What?

That doesn't make any sense...you are getting (if your tone is anything to go by) a bit too passive aggressive for my taste...I should know better, radicals don't do discussion!

You're the one taking the ad seriously.

If your spend your time worrying about behaving inappropriately then I don't know what to tell you. If you keep getting bad reactions then you might need to think about your behaviour. Most people just get along fine.

I had a class night out. Celebrates Burns Night with one of the lads and 2 women. Just had craic and zero #metoo moments. It's not as difficult as you're making out.

Double post.

It's hard to tell whether this is real or not. I would normally assume it's parody but I'm really beginning to think some men take this stuff seriously.

If they get really bad reactions when they talk to women then maybe it's best they dont talk to women. Most people have Completely normal chats with women.

He didnt say that at all...go back and read again.

• Advertisement

You're the one taking the ad seriously.

If your spend your time worrying about behaving inappropriately then I don't know what to tell you. If you keep getting bad reactions then you might need to think about your behaviour. Most people just get along fine.

I had a class night out. Celebrates Burns Night with one of the lads and 2 women. Just had craic and zero #metoo moments. It's not as difficult as you're making out.

I'd say you had a few too many cocktails!!!

I don't spend any time worrying about how I behave.

He didnt say that at all...go back and read again.

They said "Approaching should be left up to women anyways in this day and age, too much a risk for men"

I don't know why they think that because it's not most people's experience. I can only suppose they keep having experiences that are risky. That's not normal so I suppose it's best they stop approaching women.

I'd say you had a few too many cocktails!!!

I don't spend any time worrying about how I behave.
    Why were you telling me about the ad if you dont care about it.

You seem a bit Confused. Just enjoy yourself and don't be worrying about the Gillette ad.

They said "Approaching should be left up to women anyways in this day and age, too much a risk for men"

I don't know why they think that because it's not most people's experience. I can only suppose they keep having experiences that are risky. That's not normal so I suppose it's best they stop approaching women.

But that is not what you initially highlighted.

You are deliberately misrepresenting what the poster said...with a hint of completely misplaced smugness it should be said.

You seem a bit Confused. Just enjoy yourself and don't be worrying about the Gillette ad.

Not being funny...but you seem drunk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Why don't you just enjoy yourself and stop dropping by constantly to tell everyone else how they should feel about the Gillette ad and that you don't care about it? :confused:

Maduro wrote: »
    Why shouldn't he worry about this ad? If women found an ad objectionable would you tell them to simply forget about it?
    If he thinks approaching women is "toxic" because of the ad then he's taking it way too seriously.

Not being funny...but you seem drunk!
    So weird. You told me to stop anyone talking to my women friends because of the ad. You said talking to women it toxic behaviour because of the ad. You shouldn't take it so seriously. Unless you keep getting really bad reactions when you talk to women. That might be another story.

Who are you to decide if he's taking it 'too seriously'? I don't like the ad one bit. It's a lousy **** stiring ad.

He is a radical feminist...or at least he subscribes to radical feminist rhetoric...in the belief that it affords him a degree of smugness...which is obvious in his posting style!!

If he thinks approaching women is "toxic" because of the ad then he's taking it way too seriously.

Who are you to decide if he's taking it 'too seriously'? I don't like the ad one bit. It's a lousy **** stiring ad.
    If he thinks talking to women is "toxic" behaviour then he's taking the ad too seriously. That should be clear enough.

• Advertisement

If he thinks talking to women is "toxic" behaviour then he's taking the ad too seriously. That should be clear enough.

Can you please just stop misrepresenting what I said, it is very clear to anyone else reading this thread what I said.

For the sake of this thread, lets just stay away from each other.

He is a radical feminist...or at least he subscribes to radical feminist rhetoric...in the belief that it affords him a degree of smugness...which is obvious in his posting style!!
    Radical feminist rhetoric? Just for the craic, what have I said that's radical feminist?

Can you please just stop misrepresenting what I said, it is very clear to anyone else reading this thread what I said.

For the sake of this thread, lets just stay away from each other.

It's what you said. If saying exactly what you said is misrepresenting you then I don't know what you want.

What he means is that approaching women you don't know is now considered 'toxic' even though it's normal human behaviour.
    That's exactly what I thought he was saying. I think approaching people is not as risky as he's making out. If people keep telling him his behaviour is toxic then he might be doing something unusual.

I got chatting to people in a few different groups last night and there were no #metoo incidents. It's not as bad as some lads are making out and I can't help thinking they're taking the ad way too seriously.

It kinda makes sense that they're assuming everyone else is taking it seriously because they certainty seem to take it seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Also as a consequence, the sins of Proctor and Gamble are now also in the public conscious....will it affect the broader range, will the boycott extend to P & G?

It has at my household. Myself and the other half hate the message the advert sends out. While we won't be throwing our shaving gel and fairy liquid into the bin, we have decided to actively boycott P&G products. I did not realise how many products they own.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

While I get my razors off ebay, I still get the shaving gel etc in the shops. I looked in Asda and there was an entire row of shaving gel, just by gillette. If I want to use another brand the price jumps from 2 quid to 4 quid. I don't dislike gillette enough to pay twice the price for an alternative.

eyerer wrote: »
    While I get my razors off ebay, I still get the shaving gel etc in the shops. I looked in Asda and there was an entire row of shaving gel, just by gillette. If I want to use another brand the price jumps from 2 quid to 4 quid. I don't dislike gillette enough to pay twice the price for an alternative.
    The tesco equivalent is about a pound. So can't be much more expensive in euros.

Shaving foam is really old technology. I wouldn't worry about the brand because there's probably nothing in the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

They won’t be seeing a single penny from my household ever again... seen special offers for their stuff in a shop the other day and I just realized that regardless how cheap they are I won’t ever buy anything from them again... I have been using Wilkinson sword blades for years anyways as way better but had been buying Gillette gel at times.. not anymore

• Advertisement

I came across an interesting article about his ad, I'd imagine there is a lotta lotta sweating goin on over in the Gillette factory....

https://medium.com/@georgi_georgiev/the-gillette-advertising-fiasco-paying-for-competitors-brands-popularity-ea9708cc6283?fbclid=IwAR33PP7v-h3TXijWnB3eFYCy9ieGUjXnLQQgAZKtOo9ZiG_EeIS7PCRjsRc

Like I said previously, they'll be talking about this one in the industry for a long time to come...

This could very well leak in to the broader Proctor and Gamble range!

Oh well....boys will be boys I guess...

Advertisement