Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gillette | Toxic masculinity advert.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Glen Immal

I had noticed the Delbert strip referenced in the article, this advert coupled by a resurgence in interest in traditional shaving methods and a realization that modern disposable razors are excessively expensive will all contribute to a slow decline in market share for Gillette. Not one to try and start a movement- but this advert prompted me to look elsewhere for shaving supplies and I’m a bit shocked how blind I was to the price gouging in the men’s razor market
    24 euro for three replacement disposable premium blades (Gillette) as opposed to 2 euro for 10 DE safety razor blades, boots own brand. I had previously dismissed old safety razors as inferior but they actually give a superior shave when used with the correct technique.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Glen Immal wrote: »
    I had noticed the Delbert strip referenced in the article, this advert coupled by a resurgence in interest in traditional shaving methods and a realization that modern disposable razors are excessively expensive will all contribute to a slow decline in market share for Gillette. Not one to try and start a movement- but this advert prompted me to look elsewhere for shaving supplies and I’m a bit shocked how blind I was to the price gouging in the men’s razor market
    24 euro for three replacement disposable premium blades (Gillette) as opposed to 2 euro for 10 DE safety razor blades, boots own brand. I had previously dismissed old safety razors as inferior but they actually give a superior shave when used with the correct technique.

Couldn't agree more...I use the old style safety razor and shaving cream and really enjoying it...

Their difficulty is how kind of benign the loyalty they had was...in my opinion, a very well made commercial, which can tell a story in 30 seconds, in a warm engaging manner is an art form...Gillette gave their brand as a soap box to a radical feminist...

This is how you make an ad! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0eEqeizNCA

Compare that ad to Gillette ad and you can see how uncomfortable things must be getting in Proctor and Gamble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Couldn't agree more...I use the old style safety razor and shaving cream and really enjoying it...

one positive of this ad is that I binned my gilette products and bought an old style safety razor myself...
    Its very good and I wish I did it years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

paw patrol wrote:
    one positive of this ad is that I binned my gilette products and bought an old style safety razor myself... Its very good and I wish I did it years ago

No stubble, on the double.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Their difficulty is how kind of benign the loyalty they had was...in my opinion, a very well made commercial, which can tell a story in 30 seconds, in a warm engaging manner is an art form...Gillette gave their brand as a soap box to a radical feminist...

This is how you make an ad! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0eEqeizNCA

Compare that ad to Gillette ad and you can see how uncomfortable things must be getting in Proctor and Gamble.

I wonder if the Ad was a deliberate attempt to target a younger market, I dislike the term Millenial but it's appropriate here, who were seen as not fully tapped due to the popularity of beards in recent years. As the beard trend recedes a lot of young people with no defined brand loyalty must be looking at what razor to get and an Ad targeting them through buzzwords that they are more receptive towards may have been seen as a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

• Registered Users Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Palladium are the superior boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Zorya wrote: »

Wow that's bad. The bit from 32 - 48 seconds, it's like they gave up. "Ammmm something something strong confident woman. Boom! Send it to the client and attach the invoice on the same email."

The top rated contribution on the comments:

There was a slay queen who wanted a promotion, but she didnt deserve it, so she caused a comotion. When her boss told her, that she wasnt desired, she called him a sexist, and then got him fired.

I actually didn't buy a pair because of this ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭deandean

Sayanora, Converse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Some of the comments for that video on Youtube are pure gold :)

photo.jpg
    Czar Warudo 2 days ago

There once was a woman

Who lived in a shoe

Which was made by a child

Who was no more than two

• Registered Users Posts: 30,603 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Talk about ''Shooting yourself in the foot''.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Gillette just trolling people now at this stage with their latest social media adverts for their products -

https://mobile.twitter.com/GilletteVenus/status/1113891573538799617

The takeaway I got from that is -

“Be proud of your body and show it off, just remember to shave first...” :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,567 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Gillette just trolling people now at this stage with their latest social media adverts for their products -

It's advertising, what do people expect, it's all lies

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Western Lowland Gorilla

https://mobile.twitter.com/GilletteVenus/status/1113891573538799617

The takeaway I got from that is -

“Be proud of your body and show it off, just remember to shave first...” :rolleyes:

It's a bit extreme.

I mean, they could of used somebody carrying a bit of extra fat... like a normal person??

Not a dangerously obese person???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

There is more surface area to shave and the razors would dull faster. All the clueless obese women will love the ad and buy Gillette's razors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

764dak wrote: »
    There is more surface area to shave and the razors would dull faster. All the clueless obese women will love the ad and buy Gillette's razors.

I read this several times going :confused::confused::confused: but then ;);) I discovered the brilliant analysis deep deep down. Portly ladies shaving = more surface area = dulls blades quicker = increased sales!!! :cool:

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's a bit extreme.

I mean, they could of used somebody carrying a bit of extra fat... like a normal person??

Not a dangerously obese person???
    Naw, they have to go fully in. Amps up the exposure. In some parts of the advertising world it seems humans come in two sizes; anorexic or obese.

I love the comment below "maybe she's slender neutral" :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

tedpan wrote: »
    Any publicity is good publicity, especially if you're Gillette. It's not going to stop me buying razors, blades and foam from them. It's just another way to get into people's heads...

Well...it turns out, that may not be strictly true.

Proctor and Gamble have written down the value of Gillette to the tune of €8 billion dollars.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/gillette-ceo-8-billion-loss-is-price-worth-paying-over-metoo-campaign

Now, it would be remiss to blame the advert released last January...they have been losing market share over the last number of years, but it is clear the battle is now well and truly lost...like was predicted back in January, this will go down as one of the biggest marketing f##k ups of all time!

I'd say this write down is only the beginning of the pain, sales have clearly decreased and will not be won back, Gillette are looking at massive job losses and huge drop in revenue.

What is incredible is that according to the CEO, the ad was the least provocative than other versions of the ad....they must have filmed footage of a man raping a woman or some such!!!

The Feminism/Diversity agenda is not proving to be the profitable avenue to increased revenue it was thought to be...quiet the opposite in fact!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

The Feminism/Diversity agenda is not proving to be the profitable avenue to increased revenue it was thought to be...quiet the opposite in fact!

Tell that to Dior who are laughing all the way to the bank with their 'We should all be feminists' T-shirts. Feminism and diversity is very profitable for brands targeting millennials. It depends how they approach it. I agree that Gillette's attempt at getting this market was misguided and cynical.

• Advertisement

meeeeh wrote: »
    Tell that to Dior who are laughing all the way to the bank with their 'We should all be feminists' T-shirts. Feminism and diversity is very profitable for brands targeting millennials. It depends how they approach it. I agree that Gillette's attempt at getting this market was misguided and cynical.

Ah come here, if you can't sell "we should all be feminists" or "boys suck" or "the future is female" tshirts in this day and age...people who buy into ideology usually lash money at anything...just look at the amount of rosary beads sold in Ireland back in the day!!...but you won't build an economy on it!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,656 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

the €620 dior tee shirts??? :D:D:D:D:D

theyre laughing alright.... and any fool who would pay that :D

Ah come here, if you can't sell "we should all be feminists" or "boys suck" or "the future is female" tshirts in this day and age...people who buy into ideology usually lash money at anything...just look at the amount of rosary beads sold in Ireland back in the day!!...but you won't build an economy on it!
    It's not just that T-shirt. Brands that are thriving with millennials are usually more socially engaged in one way or another. Eco stuff is everywhere too. Gillette just approached it wrong.

As for lashing money at anything, well they are the ones earning and spending money. Nobody selling more expensive products will target blue colar factory workers because they don't have money to spend.

Hollywood isn't exactly thriving...

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/jul/05/hollywood-film-franchise-fatigue-drives-down-global-ticket-sales

Nobody can accuse Hollywood of not embracing socially engaged content....people are sick and tired of this endless nonsense, if they are turning away from Hollywood, how long do you think it will be before they start turning away from other companies...where do those "socially engaged" companies go then for market share...if you can answer that you should contact Gillette direct!

Hollywood isn't exactly thriving...

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/jul/05/hollywood-film-franchise-fatigue-drives-down-global-ticket-sales

Nobody can accuse Hollywood of not embracing socially engaged content....people are sick and tired of this endless nonsense, if they are turning away from Hollywood, how long do you think it will be before they start turning away from other companies...where do those "socially engaged" companies go then for market share...if you can answer that you should contact Gillette direct!
    Did you even read your own link?

What you doing is wishful thinking reasoning. You want it to be true so you bend data the way you think supports your claims.

Did you even read your own link?

What you doing is wishful thinking reasoning. You want it to be true so you bend data the way you think supports your claims.

Maybe so...maybe so...

So, when can we expect some origional new Hollywood box office smashes?

That aren't comic book hero movies with inserted sjw undertones...which is already starting to show fatigue!

What will happen when they have rebooted every movie from the 80s and 90s and replaced all the male lead parts with female leads...can we expect any creativity at all, what will happen to Hollywood then?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Moved from AH > CA

Maybe so...maybe so...

So, when can we expect some origional new Hollywood box office smashes?

That aren't comic book hero movies with inserted sjw undertones...which is already starting to show fatigue!

The article states the numbers aren't as good because first quarter of this year has nothing that would match Star Wars (main character is female now) and Black Panther. I suffered through a bit of Black Panther and the only reason I can find anyone liked that movie is that it has black super heroes. It couldn't be the quality of the movie. I wouldn't be surprised if Crazy Rich Asians were not out around that time last year. Another mind numbingly stupid diversity movie that was incredibly successful. Last year diversity sold complete dross.

The other reason the give is Netflix but nothing that would support your claims.

The article states the numbers aren't as good because first quarter of this year has nothing that would match Star Wars (main character is female now) and Black Panther. I suffered through a bit of Black Panther and the only reason I can find anyone liked that movie is that it has black super heroes. It couldn't be the quality of the movie. I wouldn't be surprised if Crazy Rich Asians were not out around that time last year. Another mind numbingly stupid diversity movie that was incredibly successful. Last year diversity sold complete dross.

The other reason the give is Netflix but nothing that would support your claims.

Netflix are in decline...

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/netflix-stock-drops-more-than-10-as-earnings-show-huge-drop-in-new-subscribers-2019-07-17

• Advertisement

No their growth is in decline... Now you are misreading the titles of articles.

Advertisement