Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gillette | Toxic masculinity advert.

Options
1585960616264»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I love the way people completely deny what is in front of their face so they can assume their own intellectual superiority.

I know. This forum is full of people who think there’s nothing wrong and that men are being victimised.

This forum is full of people (mostly men) who attack a child for wanting to change the planet for the better, all because they completely deny what is in front of them.

This forum is full of people who are so angry and dis-satisfied with their own sh*t lives that everything is the fault of the blacks, the gays, the Muslims, the travellers and the feminists.

This forum is full of people who completely deny the dangers of spreading false bull**** about vaccinations that they put their kids and my child in grave danger all because they read absolute bollocks on the internet.

This forum is full of people who completely deny that women need urgent medical care in Ireland and would rather **** them off on a plane or a boat.

Yeah, you’re right. People completely deny what is in front of them so they can assume their own bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Faugheen wrote: »
    I know. This forum is full of people who think there’s nothing wrong and that men are being victimised.

This forum is full of people (mostly men) who attack a child for wanting to change the planet for the better, all because they completely deny what is in front of them.

This forum is full of people who are so angry and dis-satisfied with their own sh*t lives that everything is the fault of the blacks, the gays, the Muslims, the travellers and the feminists.

This forum is full of people who completely deny the dangers of spreading false bull**** about vaccinations that they put their kids and my child in grave danger all because they read absolute bollocks on the internet.

This forum is full of people who completely deny that women need urgent medical care in Ireland and would rather **** them off on a plane or a boat.

Yeah, you’re right. People completely deny what is in front of them so they can assume their own bollocks.

Also full of virtue signalling people who try and assert how morally superior they are to everyone else.

Most arguments get about ten times worse because people will argue the person and not the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Wait, nothing's wrong or that they (the nasty men) say that there are things wrong, but it's the fault of the vulnerable, victimized groups (not the nasty men, they erroneously claim to be victims)

For being an attention seeker. I mean, more power to her, I don't care if she becomes the next David Blaine, but if it's meant to create a rationale discussion about what we're meant to be doing about climate change it seems to be failing in that regard.

Or the nasty men, the Brits, the Republicans (American, not the Irish ones!), the privileged, the West, the far-right, the populists, the white intelligentsia, the working class, the elderly, the rural population, and so on.

Sounds like your'e just making thinks up at this point.

The best a man can get.

Sorry, just thought I'd relate back to the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,956 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I love the way people completely deny what is in front of their face so they can assume their own intellectual superiority.

Could not have put it better.

You are not on your own. I think many people avoid this forum because of the hatred and bile being bandied about.

Made the exact same point on the thread about the landlord requesting sex as payment.

Toxic and nasty.

can you hold a scented kerchief to your nose and clutch your pearls at the same time?

fair play!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

anewme wrote: »

You are not on your own. I think many people avoid this forum because of the hatred and bile being bandied about.

Made the exact same point on the thread about the landlord requesting sex as payment.

Toxic and nasty.

First thing people do is go straight on the attack on Ruth Coppinger.

I’m not a fan of Coppinger by any means (I happen to think she’s a horrible person) but it was straight out deny, deny, deny.

There’s so many here who are so far removed from reality that they think Peter Casey is a man of the people (who got his arse kicked in elections, twice), and they can’t see past this bubble of landfill because it’s the only place they can comfortably spew their hate-filled bile because they’re hiding behind a keyboard.

There’s so many people here who can’t stand the idea of black people living amongst them that they’d defend Gemma O’Doherty, for Christ’s sake. All because she ‘sticks it to the lefty’s’

Pussies is all they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,956 ✭✭✭✭anewme

can you hold a scented kerchief to your nose and clutch your pearls at the same time?

fair play!

Edited to add....they dont like anyone raising the neanderthal attitudes either. As per above.

Any man who disagrees must surely be a white knight or feminist and any woman has to be a fat purple haired lesbian or an old prude.

They get a bit flustered and cant compute if people dont fit into those boxes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Calhoun wrote: »
    Also full of virtue signalling people who try and assert how morally superior they are to everyone else.
    Well, a sure sign of any unquestioningly held dyed in the wool politic is the inability to see the beam in one's own eye.
    Nobody with any sense denies women as a demographic face social challenges that men rarely face, but at the same time there's enough room in the victimhood stakes for everyone if you're up for sharing? That's a rhetorical question.
    Not me. Climate change is real, we need to do something about it and anything that highlights this is a bonus. The degree of that bonus is up for grabs and parents and vested interests parading some young child with personal issues in the face of the world and yes the **** in that world strikes me as highly dubious.
    My life is grand for the most part ta very much. Of the wide net you cast? "Feminists" at this stage I find bemusing and amusing in about equal measure.
    100% behind vaccines. One of the big three along with antibiotics and sanitation that have given us the health of the modern world. Without those three at least half of the people reading this would have died before their 18th birthday.
    Again always voted for choice and will continue to do so.
    [see response to Calhoun above]

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Edited to add....they dont like anyone raising the neanderthal attitudes either. As per above.

Any man who disagrees must surely be a white knight or feminist and any woman has to be a fat purple haired lesbian or an old prude.

They get a bit flustered and cant compute if people dont fit into those boxes.

this followed your own post that is certainly a worse, uglier and frankly less justified takedown of/projection onto anyone that dare disagree with your own view.

like, can you take a moment to acknowledge that?

can you even see it?

all well and good if we all agree to have at the strawman we create of the other side. im fine with that.

but its terrifically unworkable if you decide thats only valid when *you* do it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I only buy Tesco own brand, I don't like lining the pockets of wealthy Americans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

https://dilbert.com/strip/2019-09-22 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Toxic and nasty.

Okay, got to stop you right there, bud.

Toxic masculinity is supposed to refer to supposedly ideal masculine attributes which make things toxic for men who do not conform to these supposed ideals. I didn't even realize this for a while, because the term was so quickly appropriated to mean that 'white men are toxic'. Not sure why 'white' in particular, I thnk it's something to do with privilege.

I don't think it's controversial to say that most men in Ireland are white (largely a consequence of a couple of hundred thousand years of migration and natural selection). This means that, according to some people, that where Irish men discuss things, that toxicity naturally follows. This is with the exception of a small number of enlightened, level headed individuals, who are self aware enough not to be toxic. They are strident merely in order to counteract some of the toxicity inherent to Irish men. That's what they'd say, at least.

There is another exception, and that is traveler men. Even though, as I said, toxic masulinity was meant to refer to supposedly ideal masculine attributes, Irish travelers can not have toxic masculinity. This is ironic since this is the very community race where men are most likely to be persecuted for not being macho, womanizing, heterosexuals, and where not conforming to the rules of the group can lead to social exclusion. However, these men are not Irish men, so they can't fall under this redefining of toxic masculinity. That's what would be said, at least.

I think the term was always going to fall prey to this misuse from the get-go. By defining it as 'toxic masculinity' it was always going to get used by misandrists, in the same way a term like 'toxic femininity' would likely get used by misogynists. Perhaps a term like 'toxic conformity' would be better. Sure isn't it meant to be 'progressive' to view things in a non-binary sexual light anyway? Of course, the people who use the term 'toxic masculinity' to attack white men would probably wouldn't like the term 'toxic conformity' as their entire bent is to promote conformity.

Advertisement