Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gillette | Toxic masculinity advert.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Razor blade company make an ad saying that the best men don't act like dicks. The best men step in when they see other men (and boys) acting like dicks.

cue outrage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭wyf437gn6btzue

seamus wrote: »
    Interesting nerve to hit!

If you can't see the link between the whole PUA/redpill/incel nonsense, the people whinging about an ad for Gillette, and the 21 year old who saw fit to kidnap a 13 year old girl after murdering her parents, then you may be standing in a forest wondering why you have such a drastic shortage of wood.

casually comparing people who disagree with an ad for a razor to murdering child rapists. You are one thundering clown

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Bambi wrote: »
    Noone was talking about Harvey Weinstein until recently either, ask Miramax how they feel about the added publicity :o

Is really that a fair comparison? One is the intentional result of marketing, the other is a fat sex offender being a fat sex offender...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Razor blade company make an ad saying that the best men don't act like dicks. The best men step in when they see other men (and boys) acting like dicks.

cue outrage.

I try not to act like a dick, I don't need a fecking razor blade company stepping in to tell me that.

People predisposed to acting like a dick probably aren't going to change their minds because Gillette told them to. The ad is both condescending to men and trying to capitalise on important social issues to make profit.

I'm not outraged by it, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, but I do think the whole thing is pretty daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

'Toxic Masculinity' is a phrase coined by the toxic element of today's feminists.

It doesn't exist. There is toxic human behaviour by both sexes. Just one gets away with it more for some reason.

The double standards today is mind blowing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 78 ✭✭woddensanta

lbc2019 wrote: »
    Same as UK then! But then they are overrun by mooslims until Sir Tommy saves the day!

Why do lefties always bring the misspelled "mooslims" into threads, it's never the right wing straw man they have created, it's already happened a few times in this thread, what's it all about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

The idea that Gillette are playing some smart long game here gives too much credit to the Advertising industry.

It's a sector going through some very tough times and desperately trying novel gimmicks, like a punch drunk boxer throwing hay makers in the 12th round of a losing fight. Gillette has its own troubles with competitors like dollar shaving club.

Both are dealt with well here : https://www.economist.com/business/2018/03/28/technology-has-upended-the-worlds-advertising-giants.

This article explains how Don Draper's heyday is long gone : https://medium.com/swlh/the-advertising-crisis-from-the-80s-to-today-f72a3e37b887

Gillettte is desperate for a new direction, Advertising creative budgets aren't what they were and people are less easily influenced by traditional ads than they once were.
    The result is this abortion of an Ad campaign which I suspect will be pulled quickly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

py2006 wrote: »
    'Toxic Masculinity' is a phrase coined by the toxic element of today's feminists.

It doesn't exist. There is toxic human behaviour by both sexes. Just one gets away with it more for some reason.

I think it exists but the meaning of the term has been warped by fanatics. Feckin' Twitter and the incessant hunt for retweets and likes certainly doesn't help.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Advertisers just want attention

They've recently woken up to the tactic of saying some ridiculously lefty sht so that there's an anti-outrage outrage, which gets them discussed.

So basically ' we at x corporation believe it's outrageous that there's no toilets for tri-gender furries'.

Then in response 'rabble rabble pc madness by x corporation, x corporation this, x corporation that' .

Oh that reminds me I must buy some of x corporations products this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,297 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Yep. I think the ad is pretty daft to be honest, but I'm sure Gillette knew exactly what they were doing here.

Lots of ads are daft, but yeah, Gillette knew what they were doing. Someone mentioned nike and kapernick, I reckon they decided to do something similar. I hate the word "triggered", but this has triggered a lot of people, it's all over message boards and lots of people are talking about it. The usual crowd of idiots are talking about boycotts. But they have a list of things to boycott as long as your arm. This won't be boycotted and it's got everyone talking about Gillette.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 78 ✭✭woddensanta

valoren wrote: »
    Here's an idea for the marketing department in Gillette.

A chronological montage type ad.

1. It's the 1970's, a 35 year old man is shaving at a wash basin using an old school Gillette razor.
    Cut to

2. He is slightly older but again at the same basin shaving per usual, with a newer blade. (We innovate). His 4 year old daughter is watching him shaving with curiosity. Cut to him showing and letting her shave his face. (Our blades are safe to use)
    Cut to

3. His daughter, now a teenager, shaving her leg with her dad's 'Mach 3' razor and shaving cream.
    Her dad, now almost 50, noticing her doing this and then cut to him giving her a women's specific Gillette razor. (we have razors for women too)
    Cut to

4. The dad, now an elderly man, getting shaved with a Fusion blade by his now middle aged daughter. It is implied that he can't shave himself anymore. The position and angles matching exactly to the first time he showed her how to when she was 4. (he can't use them but he can still trust them)

End with "Gillette. The best that we can get".

Dollar Shave in the US took a big bite of P&G's razor sales. They are a new company. The ad above would provide the impression that Gillette has been around longer, it has the longevity, brand loyalty with a nice message of a father bonding with his daughter.

That is good but may I suggest you make the father a transsexual and a poc and make the daughter white but with an obvious demeanour of guilt for being so! I also feel it's missing references to the slave trade!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

So there I was, putting on my rape shoes, and practicing my sexual harassment pickup lines this morning.
    I had just got done cyberbullying my coworkers and It was time to shave, so I yelled at my wife to smile because I ****ing demand it, while pinching her arse right after she told me she didn't consent to it.

So I'm putting on the shaving cream and thinking; "How I can get my son into a fight at the next BBQ", I replaced the worn Gillette brand Mach3 and began to chant "boys will be boys" as I started to shave.

Suddenly my daughter burst into the bathroom holding her phone. As I began to mansplain to her why she isn't smart enough to know my shaving time is MY time she showed me the new Gillette ad.
    I now realise how my every view and behavior I've ever held dear was wrong. I'm calling in sick at the toxic masculinity factory today and registering with every left leaning organisation requiring a registration.
    Thanks Gillette, I was lost, but you knew the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

casually comparing people who disagree with an ad for a razor to murdering child rapists. You are one thundering clown
    I do love how you and ten other perpetually outraged men's men here read my post and saw something it didn't say at all. Project much?

Keep on truckin' good buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

Well, Piers Morgan hates it.

And since Piers Morgan hacks the private voicemails of murdered children for personal profit, it follows that anything which annoys Piers Morgan, is a force for good in the world.

Therefore, this ad is a good thing.

Hitler liked dogs therefore if you like dogs you're the same as Hitler.

The sad thing is you weren't sufficiently embarrassed by your earlier nonsense not to post this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

So toxic masculinity doesn't exist but toxic feminism does? I think there are very different behaviours that are considered toxic in both sexes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

So toxic masculinity doesn't exist but toxic feminism does?

I think you are confusing femininity and feminism?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I try not to act like a dick, I don't need a fecking razor blade company stepping in to tell me that.

People predisposed to acting like a dick probably aren't going to change their minds because Gillette told them to. The ad is both condescending to men and trying to capitalise on important social issues to make profit.

I'm not outraged by it, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, but I do think the whole thing is pretty daft.

However, many here are outraged. Broflakes have been triggered.

Apparently pink haired femminists just out of collage are telling men manly men what to do - how very dare they!

Not, here is a large multinational company with a huge advertising budget deciding to give a particular brief to someone which contains the message if you are a man who sees another man acting like a dick step in and stop them.

Apparently men manly men should just stand back and watch other men being dicks because that's more manly or something and wimmenz ... PC Brigade.. pink hair... tampon ads...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Gillette deleting dislikes apparently on that video.
    Real class acts.

Of course this is a punt on boosting sales and nothing more.

But if men don't like it, why call them snowflakes if they express their feelings in a rational way about it. Which, from what I'm seeing, that's all men are doing.

They're not screeching in the streets about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

I think you are confusing femininity and feminism?

Perhaps. I may have misunderstood the posters position.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    However, many here are outraged. Broflakes have been triggered.

Apparently pink haired femminists just out of collage are telling men manly men what to do - how very dare they!

Not, here is a large multinational company with a huge advertising budget deciding to give a particular brief to someone which contains the message if you are a man who sees another man acting like a dick step in and stop them.

Apparently men manly men should just stand back and watch other men being dicks because that's more manly or something and wimmenz ... PC Brigade.. pink hair... tampon ads...

You don't come across as a raving lunatic at all :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

Real class acts.

But if men don't like it, why call them snowflakes if they express their feelings in a rational way about it. Which, from what I'm seeing, that's all men are doing.

They're not screeching in the streets about it.

Because 'Shut up men'! That's why. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Tenderribs

I do love how you and ten other perpetually outraged men's men here read my post and saw something it didn't say at all. Project much?

Keep on truckin' good buddy.

Classic case of someone who realised they posted nonsense and now trying to save face :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭conorhal

greencap wrote: »
    Advertisers just want attention

They've recently woken up to the tactic of saying some ridiculously lefty sht so that there's an anti-outrage outrage, which gets them discussed.

So basically ' we at x corporation believe it's outrageous that there's no toilets for tri-gender furries'.

Then in response 'rabble rabble pc madness by x corporation, x corporation this, x corporation that' .

Oh that reminds me I must buy some of x corporations products this evening.

Or alternatively, I must buy some of y corporations products this evening instead because corportation X can get f*****.

The mantra that 'all publicity is good publicity' is clearly false. If you don't think so, just see what EA's stock price looks like after telling customers 'if you don't like it, don't buy it' regards their Battlefield 5 ad campaign.

Now some might cite the the Nike controversy as example of successful 'woke-vertising' when they promoted Colin Kaepernick in their 'belive in something' campaign that managed to weather the storm of controversy.
    But that ignores some pertenent facts.
    Nike despite what some might think are not a trainer company (they don't even own a single factory), they're a marketing company, and they're very, very good at it.
    You can bet they did their market research regards their Kapernack ad and understood full well that urban youth is a much more marketable target then middle aged white men.
    In other words, they used controversy to reach their core market rather then controversy that attacks their core market.

EA however, directly attacked their target audience with their 'woke' Battlefield 5 release ....and their share-price tanked, thus becoming another example of 'get woke, go broke'.
    Now what makes me think that unlike Nike, Gillette's marketing goons clearly don't have a clue?
    Gillette, hilariously, pinned and thanked a meme response to their video which said 'my wife's son really enjoys your product' (or something to that effect).
    This is a prime example of marketing with controversy but failing to understand that just getting headlines isn't always a good thing for your brand, especially your message is a middle finger to your customer.

Real class acts.
    So what? It's an ad.
    That's the idea of an ad. Which is what this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Genuinely hope their business falls off a cliff for this stunt. Unbelievably condescending to the 99% of us who are perfectly able to behave like normal humans.

Switching to a different brand immediately and will never use a Gillette product again. PC has gone too far and not for the first time recently Piers Morgan, as noxious as he is, is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

conorhal wrote: »
    I don't think they know what they're doing at all....

Here's the main problem with 'woke-vertising' as I see it.
    When you’re selling something, advertising is generally aspirational, positive and attractive. Your product is 'the best a man can get'.
    It’s rarely attractive to a buyer to be made feel bad by advertising.
    Woke-vertising, more often than not, is 'feel bad advertising'. It’s marketing based on an element of guilt or shame.
    That can work, for example an ad that asks ‘is your body beach ready?’ takes aim at an individual customer’s insecurities and encourages them to think, ‘damn I need to get my ass to the gym ……or perhaps buy just your weight loss product’, but at least that sort of subtle negative advertising is still aspirational and connected to the product.

For the life of me, I can’t work out how much of a better person I can be towards women by buying a Gillette razor.

As ad campaigns go it’s a horrible misstep. It's marketing collective guilt or shame unconnected to their product or it's ability to resolve it, so it's advertising with nothing to offer the audience, which is not good for your brand. This is why Slimfast can ask the question 'are you beach body ready?' and Mars can't.

From Wibbs "It was designed to get column inches, water cooler chat and internet clicks to drive brand recognition. Nothing more, nothing less." Mission accomplished for Gillette. As I said it'll neither make me want to buy or refuse to buy their products, which I suspect will be the case for the vast majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 MichaelM93l

This ad got all your knickers in a twist lads? Relax you're just proving how toxic masculinity can be, there are real problems happening in the world right now, focus on them.

Anything with more than 1 blade is a waste of time. I'm more "offended" with their bullshít ads "you take one stroke, it takes 5". And the price of their shíte products.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Is really that a fair comparison? One is the intentional result of marketing, the other is a fat sex offender being a fat sex offender...

Also I wouldn't know that Weinstein was involved with Miramax to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Tenderribs

Nivea for men shaving gel

Advertisement