Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A3 printer for drawings - Canon Pro 100S overkill?

Options
  • 15-01-2019 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭

I'm on the market for an A3 printer primarily for drawings. The Canon Pixma Pro-100S seems like a fine printer, particularly for photos but would this be overkill for drawings? A lot of the drawings I print would contain lineweights as fine as 0.15pt, hence the thinking behind the Canon.

Would appreciate your thoughts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

bemak - I have that exact printer (and I'm an engineer for some background!).

I think it's the wrong one for drawings. It's an awesome printer but it is almost exclusively a photo printer. It's quite slow and it's got 8 ink cartridges. The quality for photos is amazing though.

I think you need an A3 laser for drawings. I've succesfully used OKI, RICOH and Konica Minolta for fine drawing lines. Had some issues with an Olivetti that may or may not have been machine based.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭bemak

I had a feeling its really photo focussed. The search goes on! Looks a savage printer though - I'd never print that many photos to make it worth it.

What are drawings from it like out of curiosity?

Believe it or not I've never printed a drawing with it. I use it exclusively for photographs!

I'll try one later if I get a chance and let you know.

Would you mind? That'd be great. I would mainly be using it for planning applications which I'd want printed well anyway. I see on adverts that there is one up today for 220e

6 copies for the council, 1 copy for self and 1 copy for client = 8 copies in total.

I really don't think it's fast enough for that. Also the in-built "tray" is not suitable for more than a few A3 pages so you'd be loading it up regularly.

I will definitely print one with it - drop me a pm if I forget later.

• Advertisement

Speed isn't too big a deal for me. I just do the odd application on the side for friends so it's not like I would be printing out an application a week.

I was tempted to go for an 'all-in-one' but from experience, those printers just can't print fine lines well. I'm in no rush though for a printer so I'll do my research.

Advertisement