Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my position on the road correct?

Options
  • 15-01-2019 10:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭

I cycle from left of screen to right of screen;
    Heading over the bridge there are 2 lanes, at the end of the bridge, I go around the roundabout and out the dock road.

I stay in the right lane i'm cycling over the bridge, but to the very left of the lane.
    I have had several drivers beeping at me, slowing down beside me to shout out the window at me etc.

The left lane is for those going over the bridge and turning left or going straight ahead... so I stay in the right lane, cars pass both sides of me here.

Is my road position incorrect? Or is it correct but unsafe?
    I don't want to be right and in danger, but short of cycling on the footpath, or staying left in left lane and then changing lanes at the roundabout, I'm not sure what to do.

Any advice?

14tu4w2.jpg

rrpmhd.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

That's what I would do, but I would take the lane more going round the roundabout if the lane was tight enough, to stop getting squeezed-out by traffic coming past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

are you getting beeped because you are possibly in the middle of the road (on the left side of the right lane over the bridge)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I’d take the middle of the right lane and make sure I was signaling correctly.

If you’re assertive motorists usually respect you, usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

amcalester wrote: »

This.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭oLoonatic

Flip them off, Drivers love when you do that. I once had a driver overtake me on a roundabout while he was trying to take the first exit (pretty scary). you get them everywhere no matter what your mode of transport is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

amcalester wrote: »

Maybe this is the best approach to take. I have tried that and got beeped and shouted at also, presumably because I'm holding up people by doing 18-20kph in a 50 zone for a few hundred metres.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Scale isn't clear in the images but personally, I'd stay in the left lane until the bridge, then take the right lane. If that's too tight than take it earlier.

If you get beeped at, turn, smile and wave. Now the driver thinks you're somebody they know and backs off...

Also, when beeped at, put out your arm for a right-turn signal to emphasise your intention.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

Yeah I like cyclists that know the rules, take the right position and signal..
    Its the ones who just cycle as if there are no rules of the road, you dont know where they're aiming for and they wander out in front of you at some stage, I'd let them know they're idiots with a beep but they just look at me as if I'm a monster

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd say it depends on your confidence level - and how heavy/fast traffic is there. i wouldn't fancy being in the right lane if the general flow of traffic is say 60km/h. all you need would be some numpty seeing you, pulling left to undertake you, and the chap behind slamming into you because he's not paying attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I wouldn't like cars passing me left and right. If you need the lane, take the lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

I know this bridge. It is very poorly designed for cycling. For pedestrians also bt that is another matter.
    The 2 lanes are narrow to the point that 2 cars + 1 bike would not fit alongside each other.
    If I were you I would signal clearly and move in to the right hand lane about half way over the bridge. Take a position closer to the middle of the lane rather than the line.
    Speed limit is 50 there by the way. Not that any car obeys it. that would be far too much to expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

OP if you are struggling with the basics of cycling in busy urban areas I'd be inclined to buy this
    https://www.amazon.com/Cyclecraft-complete-enjoyable-cycling-children-ebook/dp/B00NEOVI9Q

You should be able to get on ebay etc cheaper

On your issue, be assertive take control, take the lane and make up other road users minds for them

While you are waiting for it to come in post this article (while nothing to do with your OP) should be compulsory reading for all roads users
    https://www.portsmouthctc.org.uk/a-fighter-pilots-guide-to-surviving-on-the-roads/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

fat bloke wrote: »
    I wouldn't like cars passing me left and right. If you need the lane, take the lane.

I agree with this. There is a call to be made about when you take the lane though. All the way from the left of the aerial photo seems a bit too far back. However, if you feel that you won't get an opportunity to change lane afterwards, maybe it is appropriate. This is one of those situations where speed is your friend also - I'm not saying that cyclists should be expected to travel at 30kmph but sometimes it helps when you are manoeuvring between lanes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Technically right but personally I would stay in the left lane until just after half way over the bridge, then I would indicate and move over when safe to do so, then merge over to the right lane, and hold the center of it until around the roundabout.

Nothing wrong with what your doing, maybe hold the center of the right lane though if your taking it earlier as drivers will not know exactly where you are going, even though they should be able to figure it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Thanks all for the replies.

Traffic on the bridge is very busy, but flowing, at 8am, so lane hopping is hard. The problem seems to be on the way into to the bridge more than on the bridge so might look at changing my approach here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Thanks all for the replies.

Traffic on the bridge is very busy, but flowing, at 8am, so lane hopping is hard. The problem seems to be on the way into to the bridge more than on the bridge so might look at changing my approach here.

Go one bridge upstream?

What's your approximate start and end points?

Input into cycle.travel and see what route they chose. While skilling up on bike handling and road craft more careful route selection can make things more enjoyable/safer.

Stop thinking like a motorist when picking route

https://cycle.travel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

I know this bridge. It is very poorly designed for cycling. For pedestrians also bt that is another matter.
    The 2 lanes are narrow to the point that 2 cars + 1 bike would not fit alongside each other.
    If I were you I would signal clearly and move in to the right hand lane about half way over the bridge. Take a position closer to the middle of the lane rather than the line.
    Speed limit is 50 there by the way. Not that any car obeys it. that would be far too much to expect.

I think this is more or less what I'd do on this bridge;

1. Stay in left lane until on the bridge; truth is the lanes are too narrow for a car to pass you without having to partially enter right hand lane. So if traffic is heavy, they should not be able to pass.
    2. About half way across indicate and move out, checking over the shoulder to take the right hand lane about 100m before the roundabout, still indicating.
    3. Enter the roundabout fully owning the right hand lane, and around you go.

I presume heading up to the Ennis Road is too far.

Advertisement