Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Office Plants

Options
  • 15-01-2019 12:26pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a couple of neglected plant boxes in the office that I have decided to adopt. There was originally some leafy, grass like plants in them and one has a dead tree which needs removed. I've put a jade plant cutting in one from my house and its already got roots growing.

Looking for suggestions for what to put in the others. They sit in a mixture of areas but are also on wheels so I could put them by a window (or not). Ideally wouldn't need too much attention other than watering/feeding. Part of me is tempted to get some herbs growing and at least then there is a bit of benefit when it comes to lunchtime. Not sure how attractive these would be however.

Boxes themselves are about a meter high and probably around 50cm squared.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Suggest you forget the herbs. Office environment is not suited to the kind of growth you need for something you might choose to eat. You will also tend to get white fly etc, just not going to work.

Its a bit boring but easily the best suggestion would be to just buy a medium sized house plant of the 'tough and unkillable' variety - ie one of the ones you usually see in offices - and plant it. The Jade plant is a good option. Some more suggestions here -

https://dengarden.com/gardening/Best-Indoor-Office-Plants-Low-Light-and-Low-Maintenance
    https://www.ambius.co.uk/blog/top-10-best-plants-for-your-desk-at-work/index.html

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

You could plant an orchid cactus (epiphyllum), too, provided it has some source of light. We had one on the windowsill and was thriving there.

20160718_084832_1.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Cheers for the replies. Will forgo the herbs then and look into some of the plants suggested thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you were to put in a basic house plant, you could also put in a few seasonal plants - at the moment the small cyclamen would do well, they last quite well indoors, but you would only get a couple of weeks or so out of them, then they would have to be put outside to rally for next year. The little pots of miniature daffodils and soon muscari (grape hyacinths) can be bought in the supermarket for a euro or so each, and split into two or three bunches.

Advertisement