Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying with cash

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

funkyuser wrote: »
    i'll be paying with bank draft ( said so in original post :) )

edit - sorry to all for the confusion, maybe i should have used the common phrase "cash buyer" instead

Thanks this is the kind of informed input I needed.

https://www.lawsociety.ie/Public/Compensation-Fund/

I skimmed that page, does it mean I'm 100% covered by the fund? I'll read up on it fully if i have to.

I prefer bank draft, I think that theres much less that can go wrong.

Solicitor did ask me to provide evidence, but I never provided it (I'm lazy) and but he never asked again about it. I signed a contract with solicitor to engage him, but never remember seeing anything about anti money laundering.

(btw I have provided full evidence and financial records to my accountant and I am fully tax compliant, theres nothing illegal or dodgy happening here )

Solicitor was recommended by family and is listed on the law society website and is doing business for many years in my locality ...I guess thats all the due dilligence I have to do ...i hope?

No I'm not based there, at the risk of thread drift I wouldnt mind hearing that story

thanks for the replies everyone

When going to the solicitor try and avoid anyone offering you magic beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭funkyuser

Edgware wrote: »
    When going to the solicitor try and avoid anyone offering you magic beans.

Good advice, but too late, the Collector General and I did very well from teh magic beans I bought and SODL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

I had a question about buying a house in cash. If we kept saving for another couple of years instead of taking out a mortgage we might be in a position to buy in cash. I had some small amount of inheritance, and everything else was saved from my paye income over almost 8 years. Into the savings account or credit union straight from my current account every month.
    if I was to buy in cash how would I prove that. I guess probably a solicitors letter for the inheritance. What about the savings. Would I have to provide 8 years of statements? That's a lot of paper. Pretty sure my online statements don't even go back that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Pretty sure my online statements don't even go back that far.

If you dont have them the bank will
    together with income tax documents going back the same amount of time you'll be grand

If you dont have them the bank will
    together with income tax documents going back the same amount of time you'll be grand

I changed account from BOI about 4 years ago. Those I don't have. I better get onto them now about getting them as it seems like I will probably have to eventually either way. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,238 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I only needed to show the last 3 months of my savings account details when I got my mortgage with Ulster 3 years ago (actually took advantage of that to hide a cash gift from a parent). Think most other banks at the time were looking for 6 months worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Prospector1989

Sleepy wrote: »
    I only needed to show the last 3 months of my savings account details when I got my mortgage with Ulster 3 years ago (actually took advantage of that to hide a cash gift from a parent). Think most other banks at the time were looking for 6 months worth.

We're in the process currently. PTSB are looking for 6 months. Which only accounts for about a quarter of our savings. I can't see a bank requesting more than a year or two max

We're in the process currently. PTSB are looking for 6 months. Which only accounts for about a quarter of our savings. I can't see a bank requesting more than a year or two max

If we were buying in cash it wouldn't be a bank looking for our statements as proof, it would be a solicitor or Revenue to prove the funds were legit.

Advertisement