Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air rifle or shotgun.

• 15-01-2019 4:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

Air rifle or shotgun. Which do he think is better at controlling crows,jackdaws and nappies around farm yards during the winter.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

shotgun. You'd want to be some marksman to go shooting crows with a rifle of any sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

Personally I think for in and around sheds I would go with the air rifle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭nophd08

Air rifle all day long, but you need to be in a hide as such or well hidden. You'll drop 2 or three crows sometimes with a silenced air rifle before they know what is going on. Safe to shoot inside sheds also. Can't imagine letting off a shotgun in a yard/shed full of livestock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Thanks for the replies. I thought the shotgun would win out. I have being using a shotgun lately. I got a bunch of them this morning with the shotgun. Tried the air rifle last week with no sucess. I must try the rifle again just to see if it would match the shotgun for numbers killed. Every situation is different I suppose. The noise from the shotgun doesn't seem to bother the stock too much so long as you keep a few yards away from the shed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

nophd08 wrote: »
    Air rifle all day long, but you need to be in a hide as such or well hidden. You'll drop 2 or three crows sometimes with a silenced air rifle before they know what is going on. Safe to shoot inside sheds also. Can't imagine letting off a shotgun in a yard/shed full of livestock

Shooting crows and magpies in a friend's yard off and on in the last few weeks. The cattle don't give a fiddlers about it but the sheepdog is gun shy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

If I could only have one gun it'd be a shotgun. I find that cattle don't really mind the noise, they get used it like the noise of any farm machinery. I think you'll have more success starting off with a shotgun.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Another vote for the shotgun. A better all purpose firearm and while it might not be as good as an air rifle in say one particular scenario (sheds) it is better in most others.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

I would only shoot them with a shotgun as i have seen crows shot with air rifles fly away .

Advertisement