Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fixing damage from leak

• 15-01-2019 4:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭

I found a leak in the bath that looks like it's been there a while. The trap broke and was slowly leaking any water that was left in it after the bath was used. I only noticed it when I head a dropping in the wall in the sitting room directly below. The trap was easy enough to fix but I think I'm left with problems from the water.

First, one of the floorboards below the leak had what looks like black mould on it and feels damp. It's not supporting the bathtub but to replace it I will have to take the whole thing out to get at it. I'm reluctant to do this because the bath, the side panel and the tiles will need to replaced/fixed too and it's not a job I'd be able to do myself. Is there some alternative to drying the wood and cleaning the mould?

Second, the water in the sitting room. The leak had done no visible damage but possibly leaked on the ceiling and down the wall. The only way to check is to pull both them down. Again I'm reluctant to do this as I won't be able to do it myself and will be a big cost to do. Does it matter if I just leave it? Could there be problems in the future with the water that's there now?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If there is mould then the mould will continue to grow. this will need to be pulled out and inspected.

You definitely do not want mould growing in subfloors or behind plasterboard.

Id recommend getting someone perhaps to check with a boroscope camera or similar to see if there is more mould / damage. Then make an assessment what to do next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

No need to pull stuff out yet.

Get a fan heater and dry the area under the bath and then check if timber is rotten, this will tell you how long it has been leaking.
    Wall and ceiling will dry out eventually

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement