Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Structure that used to be on the regional park land?

Options
  • 15-01-2019 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what this is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭T-Bird

It's a Ring Fort.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

T-Bird wrote: »
    It's a Ring Fort.

Thanks. I couldn't find anything online about it. I'm surprised they could remove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭blackwhite

T-Bird wrote: »
    It's a Ring Fort.

It's not a ring fort. It's a reconstruction of the Green Fort that is located on Forthill. The ring fort is in the trees to the right of it.

It was constructed as part of the "Sligo 750" celebrations in 1995, and used for a re-enactment of the Battle of the Green Fort in the fields across from the Sports Complex.

The actual Green Fort located behind the hospital, and can be accessed from the pitches on Forthill.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.2744637,-8.4682087,295m/data=!3m1!1e3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

Thanks. I couldn't find anything online about it. I'm surprised they could remove it.

Not a ring fort but is a protected national monument and shouldn’t be removed.

More info on the National Monuments website. Click the link for the archaeological survey database and you’ll find the site on the map.

Link to the map viewer: http://webgis.archaeology.ie/historicenvironment/

Poll Dubh wrote: »
    Not a ring fort but is a protected national monument and shouldn’t be removed.

More info on the National Monuments website. Click the link for the archaeological survey database and you’ll find the site on the map.

Link to the map viewer: http://webgis.archaeology.ie/historicenvironment/

Take another look at OPs screenshot. The arrow is pointing at the recent "recreation" of the Green Fort. It was built in 1995 for a battle re-enactment.

It is not a protected national monument - you're confusing it with the ring-fort which is the small cluster of trees to the right of the structure the OP is asking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

blackwhite wrote: »
    Take another look at OPs screenshot. The arrow is pointing at the recent "recreation" of the Green Fort. It was built in 1995 for a battle re-enactment.

It is not a protected national monument - you're confusing it with the ring-fort which is the small cluster of trees to the right of the structure the OP is asking about.

Thanks for that - I’m relieved to be in the wrong

This one is from 1888 - 1913.

So I think there was a ring fort, and then the other structure was built in the 90s?
    To the right of the original ring fort.

I think I've attached the link, Boards doesn't make attaching photos easy.

This is the 1995 map overlaid on the 1888. Both structures close to each other.

This one is from 1888 - 1913.

So I think there was a ring fort, and then the other structure was built in the 90s?
    To the right of the original ring fort.

I think I've attached the link, Boards doesn't make attaching photos easy.

Correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭T-Bird

blackwhite wrote: »
    It's not a ring fort. It's a reconstruction of the Green Fort that is located on Forthill. The ring fort is in the trees to the right of it.

It was constructed as part of the "Sligo 750" celebrations in 1995, and used for a re-enactment of the Battle of the Green Fort in the fields across from the Sports Complex.

The actual Green Fort located behind the hospital, and can be accessed from the pitches on Forthill.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.2744637,-8.4682087,295m/data=!3m1!1e3

:o Yeah, My answer was lame.. I actually remember it being built and was going to write a more detailed reply in my original post. But it took so long that I just changed it to it's a ring fort...

• Advertisement
Advertisement