Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baker's Fondant

Options
  • 15-01-2019 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me where I can get baker's fondant/white fondant icing, in decent quantities, please ?

I would be buying c.50kg.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Depends where you are based but your best bet is the likes of decobake (Clane) or simply sugarcraft (Rathfarnham). Any other cake decorating shop near you should stock tubs of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

Thanks both.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Depends where you are based but your best bet is the likes of decobake (Clane) or simply sugarcraft (Rathfarnham). Any other cake decorating shop near you should stock tubs of it.

50 kilo tubs?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Google ‘Pastry Suppliers’ and give a few a call. You’d need a mortgage to buy 50kg of anything from Decobake! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Dial Hard wrote: »
    50 kilo tubs?!

Nah was talking multiple tubs, doubt you could get one 50kg package of it anywhere. Had a quick look and most decobake sell was a 6kg box @ €18 or €16.95 for bulk buying of 3 or more so about €150 for 50kg worth..

Google ‘Pastry Suppliers’ and give a few a call. You’d need a mortgage to buy 50kg of anything from Decobake! :eek:

So I discovered today :D

Unfortunately Pallas which I was linked to earlier (thanks again), only supply to business, according to their website.

The search continues...

Will do, thanks.

One mortgage is enough at the moment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

I presume you are not icing cakes with this? Is it for bees? There are Irish producers/suppliers of it that you could go straight to rather than buying retail.

Although if it is for bees I think it's the pouring fondant/bakers fondant rather than the sugarpaste block you are looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

So I discovered today :D

Unfortunately Pallas which I was linked to earlier (thanks again), only supply to business, according to their website.

The search continues...

I thought their collect service didn't but I haven't used it myself

https://collect.pallasfoods.com

• Advertisement

phormium wrote: »
    I presume you are not icing cakes with this? Is it for bees? There are Irish producers/suppliers of it that you could go straight to rather than buying retail.

Indeed, and so far I am finding to my great surprise that the bee suppliers are significantly lower in price, by 42c/kg.
    Although if it is for bees I think it's the pouring fondant/bakers fondant rather than the sugarpaste block you are looking for?

Yes, baker's fondant.

I thought their collect service didn't but I haven't used it myself

https://collect.pallasfoods.com

I will contact them in the morning and report back ! Thanks.

Now I don't know much about bees but thought the sugarpaste type fondant wasn't suitable because of the additives, I was talking to one of the suppliers at one stage who had a load they could not sell because it didn't come out right for cakes, nothing wrong with it as such but just bad rolling out quality and the bee keepers wouldn't take it either because of the additives. If you really wanted the cake icing type then try Select Foods, Cork, Stuff4cakes, Galway and maybe Decobake to see if they have any batches that have been pulled for quality reasons, you might pick up some cheap that way.

Andrews ingredients does Bakers fondant, don't know the price and they have a minimum spend of 150 stg for collection up north. I'm not surprised the bee suppliers are lower in price as I presume they are not subject to the same strict production conditions that food for human consumption would be which I presume makes it more expensive to produce or maybe they are buying up what is effectively the 'seconds' :)

Now I don't know much about bees but thought the sugarpaste type fondant wasn't suitable because of the additives, I was talking to one of the suppliers at one stage who had a load they could not sell because it didn't come out right for cakes, nothing wrong with it as such but just bad rolling out quality and the bee keepers wouldn't take it either because of the additives. If you really wanted the cake icing type then try Select Foods, Cork, Stuff4cakes, Galway and maybe Decobake to see if they have any batches that have been pulled for quality reasons, you might pick up some cheap that way.

Andrews ingredients does Bakers fondant, don't know the price and they have a minimum spend of 150 stg for collection up north. I'm not surprised the bee suppliers are lower in price as I presume they are not subject to the same strict production conditions that food for human consumption would be which I presume makes it more expensive to produce :)

Sugar, glucose, and water. Baker's fondant, aka poured/pouring fondant.

Definitely not sugarpaste icing with all the additives.

Not sure about strict production conditions - have a look at this UK site, I've just been perusing it.

https://www.cake-stuff.com/edibles-c1/bulk-edible-supplies-c31/12-5kg-bakers-fondant-icing-emergency-bee-food-p863
    professional Bakers Fondant - sometimes called poured fondant or pouring fondant

please don't get confused - this is NOT a roll-out icing / sugarpaste

also very popular with bee keepers as an excellent substitute for sugar water -
    apiarists know that the purity of ingredients is crucial to the health of bees, so this fondant only contains sugar, glucose syrup (more sugar) and water . . . there are no additives!

I nearly fainted when I saw the price ! E1.53 per kilo.

Best I've seen here so far is E2.40.

If I didn't laugh, I'd cry :D

ps Thanks for those names, will be trying them tomorrow, and let you all know.

Yes, I know exactly what it is, not really used by small cake makers the same way sugarpaste/fondant would be and I don't even think I have seen it for sale in the usual cake suppliers. I make it myself when I need it, would only be using very small quantities. Sometimes you can buy a just add water mix for it in Aldi but small boxes.

Only place using that pouring fondant in large quantities would be big bakeries, maybe if you could find some of them and ask where they get it, wholesalers only I'd imagine. Maybe somewhere like Musgraves might stock it if you knew anyone with an account there, same with Pallas Foods. May not be cheaper though after all that.

Stuff4cakes/Decobake won't have the Bakers/Pouring fondant.

Yes, I know exactly what it is, not really used by small cake makers the same way sugarpaste/fondant would be and I don't even think I have seen it for sale in the usual cake suppliers. I make it myself when I need it, would only be using very small quantities. Sometimes you can buy a just add water mix for it in Aldi but small boxes.

Only place using that pouring fondant in large quantities would be big bakeries, maybe if you could find some of them and ask where they get it, wholesalers only I'd imagine. Maybe somewhere like Musgraves might stock it if you knew anyone with an account there, same with Pallas Foods. May not be cheaper though after all that.

Stuff4cakes/Decobake won't have the Bakers/Pouring fondant.

Good info, many thanks for taking the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If you are making your own the cheapest places I have seen for granulated sugar are dealz and mrprice. 79c for 1kg in mr price.

Can't remember the dealz size. In supermarkets the caster sugar is often cheaper, most seem to be 99c per kilo now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭Thud

How did you get on?

http://www.griffinfoods.ie/index.php/our-products/sugar/granulated-sugar
    might be worth a call also?

This is the UK supplier which can be gotten pretty cheap but haven't found the Irish equivalent:
    http://www.bakoselect.co.uk/products/create/white-fondan

Which Irish bee supplier were you looking at?

Advertisement