Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free anti virus

Options
  • 16-01-2019 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi folks
    I'm just after purchasing a new laptop and was wondering if anyone could recommend a free anti virus to install

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Windows 10 comes with antivirus already.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Avg or panda

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Firstly just setup the default Administrator account thats is not unused daily with a password, then create a normal User account for yourself and if required, right click - Run as Administrator can be used to elevate permissions (such as software installs). Windows 10 comes with Defender which works reasonable well but the best security is with the user. Keep UAC on, install a proper web browser like Google Chrome or Firefox with the Adblock extension and do not use Adobe Flash or Java if you can avoid them (most modern sites / applications will not require them).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭wandererz

www.forticlient.com

It's anti-virus, web filtering & app control. And free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Native Windows Defender is free and gives you as much (if not more) protection that the paid for stuff out there. Just make sure you configure correctly and that all areas show green on the config.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Use Windows 10 inbuilt Defender program, along with Malwarebytes Free, and you should be all set.

I'm confused
    ... if Windows Defender is as good or better than anything else, then Windows machines should (almost) never be compromised...right??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Don't underestimate the users ability to click on dodgy exes and ignore all the dire warnings etc.

In my experience, it's very rare for a modern OS to get a virus unless the user is incredibly careless. Malware/spyware is much more common, which is what Malwarebytes scans for.

wandererz wrote: »
    I'm confused
    ... if Windows Defender is as good or better than anything else, then Windows machines should (almost) never be compromised...right??

correct which is a true statement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

wandererz wrote: »
    I'm confused

Or you could also say the other anti-virus software is just as bad as windows defender.

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    In my experience, it's very rare for a modern OS to get a virus unless the user is incredibly careless. Malware/spyware is much more common, which is what Malwarebytes scans for.

Is looking up nudey stuff careless?

Is looking up nudey stuff careless?

Depends on the site you're on, but it can be, especially if you click on links that then try to open a whole load of new tabs in your browser. I always suggest that people run Malwarebytes Free Edition once a month or so. You can download that here:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/

One of my favourite thing to do is to update your HOSTS files from here. Adds a lot of security but most importantly makes your browsing experience so much better.

https://someonewhocares.org/hosts/

If you don't have a reason to use a specific DNS service then point your dns to 9.9.9.9

Check out quad9.com for an explanation.
    It's not AV but prevents your devices from connecting to known malicious sites.

Should be used in conjunction with AV on your machines.

Advertisement