Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pumping Station VS Septic/Treatment Tank

• 16-01-2019 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Just looking for some advice on the pro's and cons of Pumping Station VS Septic/Treatment Tank. We've just started down the path of building a house. Following discussions with Irish water we would require a pumping station if we were to connect to their system due to the level of the main sewer.

Im just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this method or would we be better off looking after the waste ourselves and going down the route of a septic tank.

Any advice would be much appreciated .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭rayjdav

Not exactly a pumping station but rising mains.;)
    Do you have option as LA will usually insist that you dispose to mains...
    Biggest issue here is location of IW mains and lands required to cross to access it? If not in your folio you will need rights of way and wayleaves for IW. Together with reinstatement could work out very costly....

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭dots104

rayjdav wrote: »
    Not exactly a pumping station but rising mains.;)
    Do you have option as LA will usually insist that you dispose to mains...
    Biggest issue here is location of IW mains and lands required to cross to access it? If not in your folio you will need rights of way and wayleaves for IW. Together with reinstatement could work out very costly....

Yes exactly its just that "pumping station" was the wording used by IW in their letter. Good point about local authority i will try and see if i can get an answer from them.

Main sewage line is in the middle of the road directly outside our site. So all pipework to line will be on our land. We would be the last house on the network so its at its highest point.

Is there any more maintenance issues/costs associated with rising mains/pump station.

Any other items i should be considering in making our decision?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Council with be strongly in favour of mains waste. Cost both options

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭mountai

Go for pumping to council sewer . No maintenance of treatment unit and probably initially cheaper.

BryanF wrote: »
    Council with be strongly in favour of mains waste. Cost both options

I'm trying to a the moment and just adding a provisional sum for IW connection. This is hard to gauge as their doesn't seem to be any science behind there costs figure (seems to be just a pluck something from the air). I've heard there going to releases standard costs come April but id imagine that date might get pushed back.

• Advertisement

mountai wrote: »
    Go for pumping to council sewer . No maintenance of treatment unit and probably initially cheaper.

I would have to factor in yearly/bi annual maintenance of pumps though? Trying to source costs at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭rayjdav

dots104 wrote: »
    I'm trying to a the moment and just adding a provisional sum for IW connection. This is hard to gauge as their doesn't seem to be any science behind there costs figure (seems to be just a pluck something from the air). I've heard there going to releases standard costs come April but id imagine that date might get pushed back.

They are currently charging as per the last included waste/water development contribution per LA as of 2014 rates for each. Standard blanket charge is due soon afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

dots104 wrote: »
    I would have to factor in yearly/bi annual maintenance of pumps though? Trying to source costs at the moment.

Much cheaper than properly maintaining an effluent treatment system. Anyone who tells you otherwise is not maintaining theirs properly!

Advertisement