Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One4All vs FromMe2You

Options
  • 16-01-2019 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,781 ✭✭✭✭

More of a public service announcement this one.

I'd posted around November asking which one was better if you could choose between a One4All or a FromMe2You.

Almost unanimous answer was: FromMe2You
    (The post appears to be deleted for some reason)

I did my homework and checked all stores they offered. Seemed to cover pretty much every one that One4All do, so I went and got a €500 FromMe2You in December.

As of January, I've attempted to use it in several stores that I was CERTAIN had said there were accepting them including Pennies, Dunnes, M&S. All have no problem accepting the One4All, but none are taking FromMe2You.

Only one small clothes shop in Dublin that I popped into was accepting the FromMe2You. Tentatively I might add. They weren't sure it would be accepted, but scanned it and it worked.

I've checked the list of shops on FromMe2You, and I think that several larger stores must have been removed in January as I'm finding it pretty much impossible to spend my €500.

So TL;DR: go for the One4All if you want to be able to actually spend your gift card anywhere.

ffs :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Never heard of FromMe2You until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

OH got a Me2You voucher from work in Dec - we've used it no issues in boots, tesco, smyths and online on littlewoods.

I think you're just getting dumb staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,781 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

maximoose wrote: »
    OH got a Me2You voucher from work in Dec - we've used it no issues in boots, tesco, smyths and online on littlewoods.

I think you're just getting dumb staff.

Doesn't seem to be accepted in any of the mainstream clothes outlets beyond a few specific ones.

Actually a lot of the places that are new acceptees of Gift cards seem to be opting for One4All by default :(

Tesco acceptance is only possible upside for me in the list you mentioned, though I'd have to spend more for the same items I usually buy 1/2 price in Aldi, so kinda defeats the purpose of the tax-free benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

We spent a bonus Me2U voucher in Argos just after christmas without issue.

ELM327 wrote: »
    We spent a bonus Me2U voucher in Argos just after christmas without issue.

Yep all the shops (except Smyths/Tesco) that accept FromMe2You also accept One4All.

But not all shops accepting One4All accept FromMe2You.

So basically you get a FAR greater spending ability with One4All it seems (unless you specifically want to spend it all in Smyths/Tesco)

I swear I checked this thoroughly in November and I'm certain M&S and Pennies at least USED to be included on FromMe2You

• Advertisement

mrcheez wrote: »
    Doesn't seem to be accepted in any of the mainstream clothes outlets beyond a few specific ones.

Here is all fashion places that accept it

Cool.. I'll head to Green's and Jingle's boutique for all my clothes

Never said they were any good, but quite clearly wrong to say nothing mainstream!

Interestingly it says the only thing you can't use them for in Tesco is fuel. Gonna see if I can buy some 3rd party gift cards in Tesco later.

Never said they were any good, but quite clearly wrong to say nothing mainstream!

I didn't say "nothing mainstream", I said " no mainstream clothes outlets beyond a few specific ones."

Gonna see if I can buy some 3rd party gift cards in Tesco later.

That might be a solution.

Now I did make an effort to cross-check both FromMe2You and One4All when I was deciding which card to buy and identified only a few stores in the difference, so it's possible something f***ed up over the deal with FromMe2You come January and some stores left?

**OR** One4All has signed up a load of new shops and haven't updated their website.

In fact I don't think Pennies accepted One4All last year at all.

Now they do (or perhaps One4All is just so widely accepted that they haven't bothered updating their website to include EVERY new store)

So... lesson learned: to maximise places you can spend your cash, go One4All ...

Actually as I suspected

https://www.one4all.ie/catalogsearch/result/?q=+Pennies+dublin

No result.

So it seems you can use the card in places that aren't listed on One4All's website. Gah!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That isn't how the shop is spelled, which won't be helping find it. Site barely works for me so can't check

L1011 wrote: »
    That isn't how the shop is spelled, which won't be helping find it. Site barely works for me so can't check

damnit...

https://www.one4all.ie/catalogsearch/result/?q=penneys

though obviously entered as Primark

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Can't use one for all in Tesco or dunnes for example. Those gift cards are a joke for retialrrs with he commission charged.

RossieMan wrote: »
    Can't use one for all in Tesco or dunnes for example. Those gift cards are a joke for retialrrs with he commission charged.

Can't use either in Dunnes it seems.

Tesco and Smyths are the main shops where FromMe2You wins out over the other one.

But even taking a like for like search of "fashion in Dublin" say I'm getting

- 124 results with One4All
    - 59 on FromMe2You

sod this.. I'm buying my 2019 €500 "bonus" this month instead of waiting till December, and getting the right card this time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

AS L1011 said that's not how Penney's is spelt. One4All defo is accepted there.

https://www.one4all.ie/penneys.html

I'd never heard of the other voucher before. I'm not a massive fan of vouchers but One4All is at least a bit more recognised and if all else fails, can be used to do a shop in a supermarket!

Be careful trying to buy giftcards with a gift card. Individual stores may have a clause that says this is something that they won't do.

Just bought €100 ticketmaster voucher in tesco with my me2you, good to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

One4All are owned by An Post.

FromMe2You are owned by "The Giftcard Company" (according to their website)

I'd be happier with a card backed by An Post, do you have any comeback if the Giftcard Company gets into trouble and stores refuse to accept their card?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

And you think the government are going to pay back anything owed if one for all goes bust? You're having a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

RossieMan wrote: »
    And you think the government are going to pay back anything owed if one for all goes bust? You're having a laugh.

One4All cards are underwritten by An Post.

Yes, I do think the Government will not let An Post fail. There wouldn't be a lot of votes in having no postal service.

I'll take State Guarantee over a small private company, thanks.

• Advertisement

Just bought €100 ticketmaster voucher in tesco with my me2you, good to know!

Well that's something I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

I've been getting the Me2You card for years and use it in plenty places!
    For example I've bought from Applegreen (fuel), Tesco, Smyths, Harvey Norman, Arnotts (used the card online with them!), Boots, Milano's Pizza, Woodies, Homestore & More, Argos, Flying Tiger, Easons... I think for practical purchases, the Me2You suits me better (i.e. food & fuel)

Yes both seem to have some exclusives, unfortunately none of the ones you mentioned would be of any use to me bar maybe Tesco and *perhaps* Smyths, though I don't think I'll be buying any more consoles this year.

Applegreen might be handy later in the year when I get a car.

I generally buy food/toiletries/household items at Supervalu or Aldi/Lidl, so not much use to me for food/household with either card. Can maybe pick up a few things in Tesco but will be hard to get up to €500 as I get them cheaper in Aldi so kinda defeats the purpose of the "benefits" of the card.

I reckon in the meantime I'll spend a lot more on the One4All card I'm getting this month... will be interesting to see at the end of the year which one has most left over of the €500.

Then I have to desperately try to offload it before they start charging the monthly rate.

Advertisement