Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Cleaner needed??

Options
  • 16-01-2019 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,884 ✭✭✭

Hi I am looking for someone to do a few hours cleaning per week - but I have no idea how to find someone reputable/professional - or just someone private who would be really good.
    I put an ad on gumtree a few years ago - the lady I choose did a few hours and she just about did the basics so that discouraged me from looking again until now.
    Any suggestions as to where or how I could find someone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Att vara en hest

On this topic, whatever happened to pigsty? I found a cleaner there a few years ago and she did a great job, it seemed like a good site for this particular kind of requests.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I’d advise you to check with your neighbors and friends as I definitely feel word of mouth is the best way to go with this kind of thing. I had a great cleaner for a long time but she left Ireland and I had to find someone else to replace her. I went through an online agency as I felt it would be a good way to check someone out before committing long term. The girl that arrived was great and did a fab job. She offered to work directly for me as I was paying a lot more than she was receiving so we agreed a price and cut out the middle man. All was grand for a few weeks until I got a call saying she couldn’t do it anymore. I was disappointed as she was great. It was about a week later when I noticed a few thing missing from the house, namely jewellery, a small but significant amount of cash and some expensive makeup belonging to my daughter. Now I have no proof of this but these things have disappeared from the face of the earth. I’d definitely be looking for references / personal recommendations going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,884 ✭✭✭sporina

Cork Lass wrote: »
    I’d advise you to check with your neighbors and friends as I definitely feel word of mouth is the best way to go with this kind of thing. I had a great cleaner for a long time but she left Ireland and I had to find someone else to replace her. I went through an online agency as I felt it would be a good way to check someone out before committing long term. The girl that arrived was great and did a fab job. She offered to work directly for me as I was paying a lot more than she was receiving so we agreed a price and cut out the middle man. All was grand for a few weeks until I got a call saying she couldn’t do it anymore. I was disappointed as she was great. It was about a week later when I noticed a few thing missing from the house, namely jewellery, a small but significant amount of cash and some expensive makeup belonging to my daughter. Now I have no proof of this but these things have disappeared from the face of the earth. I’d definitely be looking for references / personal recommendations going forward.

thanks

I don't really wanna ask neighbours.. a friend has a cleaner but she don't live near me..

Any ideas where to look for a recommendation? I was thinking of asking local businesses? Like offices? Perhaps they all use companies - I don't know..

I really want to find someone though

sporina wrote: »
    thanks

I don't really wanna ask neighbours.. a friend has a cleaner but she don't live near me..

Any ideas where to look for a recommendation? I was thinking of asking local businesses? Like offices? Perhaps they all use companies - I don't know..

May your friends cleaner might be able to recommend someone. Definitely try small local businesses as they would likely have someone reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

sporina wrote: »
    thanks

Roughly what area are you in ? I have a brilliant cleaner (having gone through a few :rolleyes:) but depends on area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,884 ✭✭✭sporina

Roughly what area are you in ? I have a brilliant cleaner (having gone through a few :rolleyes:) but depends on area

city centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭theglobe

Would her agreeing to **** over her company not be a warning sign for you? You make it sound like you did something really clever but you should be aware that it isn't great form on your part to go behind a companies back like that. The problem in Ireland is that no one wants to pay more than 10e an hour for a cleaner so you're always going to be playing with fire.

I’ve never paid €10.00 an hour for a cleaner. In this instance the company was charging me €20 an hour and she was getting €10 of that which I felt was unfair. We agreed €15 an hour which I felt was extremely fair. Company never provided an invoice either so I reckon they weren’t playing ball either.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭theglobe

I’ve never paid €10.00 an hour for a cleaner. In this instance the company was charging me €20 an hour and she was getting €10 of that which I felt was unfair. We agreed €15 an hour which I felt was extremely fair. Company never provided an invoice either so I reckon they weren’t playing ball either.

The split in these situations is usually 60/40. Surely the company is entitled to their cut as they put a lot of money in to marketing etc to win the job for her.

theglobe wrote: »
    The split in these situations is usually 60/40. Surely the company is entitled to their cut as they put a lot of money in to marketing etc to win the job for her.

You would think that to be the case and that’s why I went to a company. Alas, it was not so and a 50/50 split is not fair in my mind especially when they aren’t not getting any employee benefits, prsi etc. Also as I said previously, I requested invoices for the times I had booked their services - I never got them. If anyone wasn’t playing fair here it wasn’t me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement