Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Query on home improvement:buying house that needs work v one that doesnt need as much

• 16-01-2019 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

i all,

probably a silly question and one maybe someone can assist with.

there is a bang average 3 bed semi house for 30k less in same estate that needs some work done to it. trying to work out if its worth buying the cheaper alternative or not

the work is the following:

1. new decent windows , doors, front door and side door.
    2. boiler replacement
    3. floorboarding thrououghout (approx 90 square metres)
    4. some kitchen enhancements....

would anyone be able to give ballpark on the cost and the time frame would take to get this done?

trying to workout if cheaper alternative is better or nay.

any advice on this is welcome

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

We bought a run-down old place because it was what we could afford in a decent area. We've tiled and replaced the kitchen, replaced the bathroom, had to re-plaster two rooms back to the brick where the plaster had boasted over time, laid some carpet, laminate flooring and re-decorated every room. Including a few bits of furniture from IKEA, curtains etc we're well over the 30k mark at this stage and I've put hundreds hours of into it. And that was being cost concious: accepting some pieces of relatives old furniture to do us until we can afford to replace it, upcycling stuff we got on Adverts etc.

Windows could cost you anywhere from 3/4k for bargain basement white PVC units up to 15/20k if you're getting custom made hardwood frames made.
    A gas boiler replacement is going to be around 2-5k after the SEAI grants depending on spec, no of radiators, any new pipework needed etc.
    Floorboarding? Do you just mean laying new laminate / engineered wood flooring? Hardwood flooring? Or actually replacing the floorboards? Assuming the former and that you're doing it yourself, laminate would be the cheapest at approx €20 per sqm so 2k would see you clear there though obviously this can go much higher for higher end options.
    Assuming no need to retile the floor, an IKEA kitchen could be done for a few grand while a top-of-the-line bespoke job could be easily 30/40k.

Redecoation is something you're going to end up doing anyway: painting rooms, changing floor coverings etc. so I wouldn't really factor the cost of it into the decision. A 'good but not exactly to your taste' finish will leave you more time to get this done though.

If one is a total wreck needing the level of work you've mentioned above, while the other was in "hang up your coat" condition and had modern heating / wiring / plumbing work all done, I don't think I'd be looking at the fixer-upper unless it has significant other advantages (better location, bigger garden etc). Even doing as much of the work yourself as you can, you'll have lots of other expenses in buying new furniture, appliances, curtains etc. (particularly if it's your first home) and 30k won't go nearly as far as you'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭stiofan85

We were in the same position a few years back and went for the fixer upper.

2 years later and most of my weekends and we're nearly finished. Never again (and in fact we are moving on to a new build outside the city due to growing family)

I had the same thoughts of "we could probably do that one up for less than the price difference between the two", and I was right - but mainly saved the cash through my labour.

Now that we are selling we'll recoup the money we invested, but I don't think fully and not to mention my time and stress. Although on the plus side I learned a bunch of skills for maintaining a house.

Looking at your list, some thoughts:

Windows, as Sleepy says, anything from 3/4k for bargain basement PVC (which is what we got, they look nice and do the job well)
    Boiler - 2k min, but you will need to consider the rads. Does it *really* need to be done or is it just old. The efficiency difference x the cost per unit of gas may not warrant it if the boiler is still working well.
    Flooring - anything from €10 per sqm to €100 and then something like €20 per sqm for fitting (I did ours so saved the labour). don't forget things like trim etc... if you remove skirting to do it right you need to factor that in.
    Ikea kitchen + appliances (something like €4-4.5k all in)

Other things to consider:
    Attic tank is probably the old steel ones (€300-€400)
    What's the wiring like? worth checking. rewires are pricey and you'll probably need plastering and decorating
    Good paint is expensive. Can get the same colours made up. Some decent cheap painters around.
    Carpet on the stairs (€300 minimum for Des Kelly's cheapest...)

Don't underestimate the amount of little things that creep up on you. Visits to B&Q, IKEA etc... for small things like light fittings, furniture, cutlery, plates and add on the IKEA tax for things you don't need but buy anyway.

Timing wise, if you pay lads to do it all you could get it all done in a few weeks. Lead time for windows can vary. Plumbers and Sparks are hard to get but for a good sized job it may be different. Factor in your time in finding trades and getting quotes. Can take up a lot of time.

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Idioteque

I don't think it's possible to answer that really as there's far too many variables - I say get a builder in or else seperate people (Plumber, Winwos people etc.) and get a a few quotes and timeframes from them if you've not done already.

Does the house that's 30K extra have all of the above already done to the standard/quality you're looking for?

Advertisement