Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Move router or not?

• 16-01-2019 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi folks, quick question regarding home network. I'm moving my home office from one room to another and this moves me away from the router which I had wired directly to my laptop.

I'm planning on running a cable to the new office but I'm wondering if it makes any difference whether I leave the router where it is and run a CAT5/6 or move the router and run the telephone style cable from the socket in the old office.

I'll need about 10m of cable.

Also is there a particular type of cable I should look at to minimize loss on the journey?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

murdog! wrote: »
    Hi folks, quick question regarding home network. I'm moving my home office from one room to another and this moves me away from the router which I had wired directly to my laptop.

I'm planning on running a cable to the new office but I'm wondering if it makes any difference whether I leave the router where it is and run a CAT5/6 or move the router and run the telephone style cable from the socket in the old office.

I'll need about 10m of cable.

Also is there a particular type of cable I should look at to minimize loss on the journey?

Thanks in advance

I'd leave the router where it is and run Cat5e or Cat6 cable to the new office. You should be able to buy a 10m pre made cable on Amazon or similar stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

It depends really, if you move router you may have problems with the longer phone line (I’m assuming is ADSL). I’d leave it where it is, if it’s working fine and run some CAT5 cable to the new location. You can just buy a 10m pre terminated CAT5 cable and run that. Or get a length of CAT5 and terminate yourself.

The other option is to use power line carrier plugs and send the wired connection over the power cable, these are about €30 for a pair and give 300Mb connection. Really handy kit and wiri great.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭murdog!

Cheers thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭murdog!

It depends really, if you move router you may have problems with the longer phone line (I’m assuming is ADSL). I’d leave it where it is, if it’s working fine and run some CAT5 cable to the new location. You can just buy a 10m pre terminated CAT5 cable and run that. Or get a length of CAT5 and terminate yourself.

The other option is to use power line carrier plugs and send the wired connection over the power cable, these are about €30 for a pair and give 300Mb connection. Really handy kit and wiri great.

Cheers thanks, I think I'll run a CAT5 to the new room. I have a power line carrier but it didn't work very well so I stopped using it. That was to a different room though so I'll give it another try and hopefully it will do the trick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

murdog! wrote: »
    Cheers thanks, I think I'll run a CAT5 to the new room. I have a power line carrier but it didn't work very well so I stopped using it. That was to a different room though so I'll give it another try and hopefully it will do the trick!

Always go with Ethernet when you can. The other product is a fudge for when you can't run cable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Would moving the router change for better or worse the wifi coverage in the house?

I would have that decide me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 DalaryousPT

Always go with Ethernet when you can. The other product is a fudge for when you can't run cable.

THIS.

Advertisement