Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

spam phone calls

Options
  • 17-01-2019 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

I'm stayed at patents house last night.

The house phone rang at about 7 this morning. As you can imagine an early morning phone call can give anyone a fright.

I got to it first and there no noise until a computerised voice said goodbye. I think I had said only hello.

I assume it was a spam call. My parents get a lot of telemarketers calls,

Is there anyway to block these?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Follow procedure here. It should stop genuine sales calls.

The others are another days work.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭The Moleman

Follow procedure here. It should stop genuine sales calls.

The others are another days work.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

I'm stayed at patents house last night.

The house phone rang at about 7 this morning. As you can imagine an early morning phone call can give anyone a fright.

I got to it first and there no noise until a computerised voice said goodbye. I think I had said only hello.

I assume it was a spam call. My parents get a lot of telemarketers calls,

Do your parents have a phonewatch alarm? It could be the central alarm system dialling in. (I'm saying this as we have a phonewatch system and it is the only thing that uses the phone line and it answers with hello and then goodbye)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

We had a series of early morning calls to our landline but they seem to have stopped. The number was 01-2823833

https://www.phonenumbers.ie/number/35312823833

A hazard level of 86% and a number of reviews..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Tippex wrote: »
    Do your parents have a phonewatch alarm? It could be the central alarm system dialling in. (I'm saying this as we have a phonewatch system and it is the only thing that uses the phone line and it answers with hello and then goodbye)
    That's not it. We don't have phone watch but have had the calls where all you get is "Goodbye".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

That's not it. We don't have phone watch but have had the calls where all you get is "Goodbye".

We don't have phonewatch.

got one of those calls today in my Mums.....was a bit of a lag when I picked up and then "goodbye"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

I've been getting these on a landline number that's not used very much and that very, very few people would have.

Several times this week I've had calls at or slightly before 7am. It's an Indian accented person asking if they can speak to "the owner of the internet"

We've had a few after 11pm too.

Because of the weird times of the calls I've diverted the phone to voicemail. *21*171# will dump all your calls into Eir voicemail (and play your outgoing message, it won't play out the log in prompt don't worry).

#21# to cancel

If it keeps up I'll have no choice but to cease the landline as it's just not feasible to have the phone ringing that late or early.

We need spam filters on the phone network as otherwise people are going to start getting shut of their landlines entirely, even more rapidly than they already are.

I'm going to leave the calls permanently diverted to voicemail for a whole and see if that caused them to give up. If it doesn't... Time to say goodbye to the landline.

Also be very wary about answering these calls at all. They could be running an autodialer over large blocks of numbers to check which ones work. Answering that silent call could mean you get added to a list.

Weird or no caller ID = I don't pick up.

The calls aren't originating in Ireland or even within the EU so I think there's very little the phone companies or even the Gardai can do.

Also the caller ID is fake on most of them. They're showing up with Irish and sometimes continental and US numbers. They're not where the calls are coming from at all though. They seem to be originating from India or Pakistan.

Tippex wrote: »

No they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭Melodeon

My elderly mother has been getting these calls on her landline recently too.
    They appear to be a version of 'Neighbour Spoofing', whereby the scammers are spoofing their caller ID to appear like a number local to the victim.
    They use the local area code and the first digit or two of the number they're dialling, so unsuspecting people think it's someone local calling them.

Unfortunately, my mother answered them the first time they called, so they now know her number is legit :(

She tells me that a lady with a vaguely Irish/British accent started talking about internet security, so she hung up on them immediately :D

Melodeon wrote: »
    My elderly mother has been getting these calls on her landline recently too.
    They appear to be a version of 'Neighbour Spoofing', whereby the scammers are spoofing their caller ID to appear like a number local to the victim.
    They use the local area code and the first digit or two of the number they're dialling, so unsuspecting people think it's someone local calling them.

Unfortunately, my mother answered them the first time they called, so they now know her number is legit :(

She tells me that a lady with a vaguely Irish/British accent started talking about internet security, so she hung up on them immediately :D

Get your mother a whistle. Next time they call she should use it on them.

I did a few times a couple of years ago and the phone calls stop. I even did it to people I actually know. Now I know if they phone me it is important. :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement