Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

should I be looking to rotovate the garden now?

Options
  • 17-01-2019 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am thinking of rotovating the garden, leveling it and reseeding it before the grass growing season starts - I want the kids to have a decent garden this summer !

Is it too early ?

Thanks Rob

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Perfect time to rotovate - the ground is pliable but not wet with this excellent winter weather. I'd not seed it just yet though, we do have some cold temps coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Once rotovated keep the surface weed free with a dutch (push hoe). The walking on the soil will compact it so it doesn't sink later on and the hose will keep a tilth on the surface ready for when you seed. While you are at it you can probably improve the level a bit each time you hoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am thinking of rotovating the garden, leveling it and reseeding it before the grass growing season starts - I want the kids to have a decent garden this summer !

Is it too early ?

Thanks Rob

I'd be very slow to rotavate ground unless I was ready to plant it.
    Ploughing would be ideal. Soil will dry out well in the furrow.
    I know ground conditions are unbelievably good in places at the moment but I'd still hold off doing much until March.
    What's in the ground at the moment?

Advertisement