Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus - New Livery unveil event 17th January

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Blut2

I just can't look at the two leaves of the shamrock not connecting to the stem. Why...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

micosoft wrote: »
    Patrick Smith of Ask the pilot gives his opinion... http://www.askthepilot.com/aer-lingus-livery/

I enjoyed his post until he said that emirates slogan should be “the airline of Planet Earth”

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

A couple of adjustments could make a huge difference, such as cream instead of white and a softer angle with the green (could it follow the natural curve of the tail??)
    Well the 2019 livery looks like the Iberia painter was handed green paint. Basically its the Airbus/Iberia/Qantas/Alsaka etc in green. The tail is fine but the failure to bring the green up towards the cockpit is the real issue (hello Aeroflot...)
    I also thing its almost there. I agree that the green sweeping forward to the wingbox would work well.
    Lufthansa and some others used the angle of the tail and I think it just increases the ratio of white to the main colour.
    Saw a Virgin A330 the other day in LHR, there off-white/silver looks good even though it has a similar amount of actual red (tail and engines)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

They could have left a nice green 'skunk stripe' (what they call in on guitar necks) on the underbelly,
    - that way from below, you could see the green signature colour.

One lady (not really a lady) that doesn't like it all, is the 'potty mouth' rapper Azealia Banks,
    who just got her self banned from the airline (well, removed anyway) from EI233 this morning.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-6615735/Azealia-Banks-breaks-BANNED-Aer-Lingus-flights.html

• Registered Users Posts: 34,706 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They didn't try very hard with the stock image, did they :rolleyes:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,649 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Design blog reviews the rebrand and new livery, with lots of nice new shots:
    https://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/new_logo_identity_and_livery_for_aer_lingus_by_lippincott.php?utm_source=feedly&utm_medium=webfeeds

That new business class logo is absolutely horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

MJohnston wrote: »
    Design blog reviews the rebrand and new livery, with lots of nice new shots:
    https://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/new_logo_identity_and_livery_for_aer_lingus_by_lippincott.php?utm_source=feedly&utm_medium=webfeeds

That new business class logo is absolutely horrible.
    Hard to take much of that seriously when they describe the old logo as “hovering between bad and fine”, call the logo a clover and claim the new livery is an improvement on the old!

It also describes what is quite obviously a menu/inflight service card as, “some kind of flat thing”.

Either a twenty-something millennial intern wrote it or the author is a try hard.

I will agree that the shading of the new shamrock is a little clumsy and it works much better as a flat design. This is particularly true for Business Class, it’s almost liquid like! The current shamrock design for premium services is far superior.

Meh, it's a well-respected design blog that does a lot of good work, just because you disagree with their assessment doesn't make it 'try hard'.

I read "some kind of flat thing" as a reference to the horrible 3D photoshopping of the card into the real photo (it's also photoshopped about 3 times bigger than any menu card I've ever seen Aer Lingus hand out).

I also do think that the new livery is an improvement on the old, if only because the old livery looked extremely dated. Is it a great new livery? Absolutely not.

(all shamrocks are clovers, by the way).

MJohnston wrote: »
    Meh, it's a well-respected design blog that does a lot of good work, just because you disagree with their assessment doesn't make it 'try hard'.

I read "some kind of flat thing" as a reference to the horrible 3D photoshopping of the card into the real photo (it's also photoshopped about 3 times bigger than any menu card I've ever seen Aer Lingus hand out).

I also do think that the new livery is an improvement on the old, if only because the old livery looked extremely dated. Is it a great new livery? Absolutely not.

(all shamrocks are clovers, by the way).
    Ah so they’re judging the photoshop skills of Lippincott rather than the brand itself or is it both?

The Daily Mail is a respected newspaper by millions, doesn’t mean everything it writes is good.

I agreed with some of the points raised but found the overal tone and the wavering between discussing the brand to discussing the photoshop skills of Lippincott quite sloppy and took away some credibility no matter how well respected a design blog it is.

(When referring to the Aer Lingus logo, it is always a shamrock)

Ah so they’re judging the photoshop skills of Lippincott rather than the brand itself or is it both?

The Daily Mail is a respected newspaper by millions, doesn’t mean everything it writes is good.

I agreed with some of the points raised but found the overal tone and the wavering between discussing the brand to discussing the photoshop skills of Lippincott quite sloppy and took away some credibility no matter how well respected a design blog it is.

(When referring to the Aer Lingus logo, it is always a shamrock)

Those Photoshop skills were all part of how Aer Lingus decided to communicate their brand. Its sloppy and amateurish, and it speaks to them not really being too deeply invested in the whole thing. It's a legitimate thing for a designer focused blog to consider! Most of what you're referring to seems to be in captions rather than the body of the review anyway.

I think another point is that the new brand is blandly okay, which makes it hard to talk too much about. Go and read the same site's review of the wonderful Lufthansa rebrand, which they named their favourite of 2018, to see what happens when there's something inspiring to talk about! (or indeed the Iberia rebrand which was *bad* enough to inspire discussion!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Flyer29

Was away for a few days and caught an Aer Lingus flight home tonight. Was sad to see the green birds lined up at the terminal knowing such a sight might never greet me again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

Flyer29 wrote: »
    Was away for a few days and caught an Aer Lingus flight home tonight. Was sad to see the green birds lined up at the terminal knowing such a sight might never greet me again :(

Agree with ya there, I fly a lot for work..SAS, KLM, Lufthansa, Wideroe, Norwegian, B.A, but whenever I get that last flight to Cork from Schipol, seeing the green plane is like getting the bus home, it "shortens the journey" + they always have Taytos!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭arubex

People do forget blue is the national colour of our little green country so a shade of blue is needed and the liveries have had blue in them in all beyond the one the DVM has.

It's not 'needed'; there's no national law that says the livery must incorporate St Patrick's Blue. And even if there was I doubt that teal would qualify even though it''s half-blue.

Finally saw a non-side-on shot of EI-CVA, what is it with spotters and side-ons? Anyway, no belly logo. Another missed opportunity.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Pre 1975 there was no blue in the livery. The DC-3s and Viscounts were Green and silver/white.

Saw a photo on facebook yesterday, 2nd A320 currently getting respirated. No info on reg.

sherology wrote: »
    Thanks for that link.

I like the liquid platinum business 'differentiation', and the colored head rest covers should brighten the cabin a bit more. Be nice if EI did this to the short haul fleet too (green seats/colored headrests)... Very bland cabin on entry.

As for the critique... Meh... It it what it is... I'm loving all of it except the front of wing livery... Lack of creativity here... But all done now..

The head rest covers are strangely clashing with the seat colours, to my eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

So I was sat in Berlin Airport waiting on my return EI flight to Dublin. It was an evening flight so it was dark.

A plane pulled up to the gate. All we could see was the nose, it was white. Was this our plane? I could not tell.

About 5 minutes later another plane pulled up to the next gate. Again we could only see the nose, but it was the unmistakable colours of an Aer Lingus plane.

As we boarded out flight, I looked over to see what the other plane was, a freshly painted IAG inspired Iberia.

Oh Aer Lingus, what have you done :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,902 ✭✭✭✭elperello

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/ah24g1/hmm_the_new_livery_of_aer_lingus_in_the_air/

A nice pic by Frank Grealish of the new livery over the Aran Islands with Dun Aengus in the background.

All the air-to-air photos and video footage, along with dozens of other official material can be found in the Aer Lingus media centre. 

https://mediacentre.aerlingus.com/

As for the new livery, I've seen it "in the wild" quite a few times now and I've really grown to like it. In modern aviation the livery is designed to complement the overall brand, not dictate it which is what was happening with the previous design.

Advertisement