Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rescuing a newish lawn

Options
  • 17-01-2019 4:19pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So long story short, I put grass down last spring/summer (lots of decent top soil and then rolled lawn turf.

It took well and got plenty of growth over the summer (if I’m honest I wasn’t as good at keeping it cut as I should have been) but over the winter most of it has dried out and gone yellow.

I’m wondering what I need to do to try to rescue it.

I picked up some feed but it says to apply between February and September... should I hang on the few weeks or will I be okay putting it down now (once the frosty conditions pass).

What else should I do as well / instead to give it a chance? And in terms of cutting it, given that it’s longer than it should be am I best keeping a mower away from it for now and maybe using a hand sheers (it’s not a huge amount of grass so wouldn’t take me too long to do this way!!)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I'm no expert but I would imagine it'll start improving when the sun is out for longer. I'd hold off on the feed and follow the instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

Wheety wrote: »
    I'm no expert but I would imagine it'll start improving when the sun is out for longer. I'd hold off on the feed and follow the instructions.

Sounds right to me. The fertiliser instructions to wait for warmer weather are most likely to be to do with timing it with the period grass is most actively growing. Otherwise the fertiliser could wash away before the grass is able to make use of it.

Have read other people saying that setting their lawnmower at a higher cutting level puts less stress on the grass so this might be an idea when you are mowing. Also make sure to stay off it when the ground is very wet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Thanks. I'll hold off for another few weeks and then see how things go.

Advertisement