Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Needed for Leaving

Options
  • 17-01-2019 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I started a new job back in early December and absolutely hate it, HR lied through their teeth about the role saying it was an IT role and basically 5-10% of it actually is. I’m being trained up to replace a guy (team lead) whose leaving early March but have been offered a new job to start on monday week.

I’m not sure how to go about leaving, if I tell HR i’m Leaving next Friday, I’m afraid they’ll not pay me for the month (it’s a very large company and many people have publicly slated the Hr dept)
    I also don’t want to leave without saying anything on pay day next week and leave the guy I’m meant to be replacing in the lurch, should I tell him on the side i’m leaving?

Any tips welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Regardless of anything, they have to pay you for time worked, plus unused annual leave

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Check your contract and the minimum notice (you are still on probation, I expect). Talk to your manager saying you have accepted another job and will be giving your (week's ? ) notice. If you need to leave earlier, talk to them as well and say that you hope it won't create too many issues, but that you will have to leave on x date. if you have any unused holidays so much the better - you are likely to have accrued a couple of days in January.

Whatever you do, be polite, professional and follow the professional steps. Do not burn your bridges, it is never a good idea.

They are legally required to pay you for days worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

OP - what is the notice policy, and are you planning to work out your notice period?

if so there will be no problem.

if not - why?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Yikyak

OP - what is the notice policy, and are you planning to work out your notice period?

if so there will be no problem.

if not - why?

The contract says notice is 2 months but I’m not sure if this is after probation of 6 months.
    I’m not staying another 2 months for a job I was lied to about and when I have another lined up.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Typically there is a shorter notice time during probation. In any case, give your notice as soon as possible. They do have to pay you for the time you worked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

It might still be an IT role. You've only been there a month.

Check your contract for notice period during probation.

Although I feel like you're going to shaft them regardless.

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    It might still be an IT role. You've only been there a month.

Check your contract for notice period during probation.

Although I feel like you're going to shaft them regardless.

No its definitely not an IT role, it’s essentially a finance job and the day to day has been explained to me and doesn’t deviate (so I’m told by other team members).
    Contract only says 2 months notice after probationary period, nothing else.

OK if the contract really says notice of 2 months is required after probation is finished, and I am assuming probation is 3 - 6 months, and there is nothing about notice during your probation period, then you can give the statutory notice which is 1 week.

Ok so after speaking with someone who is no longer with the company, it’s expected that an employee gives 3 months notice if they wish to leave before the probationary period of 3 months. Such a long notice time is surely ridiculous??

Yikyak wrote: »
    Ok so after speaking with someone who is no longer with the company, it’s expected that an employee gives 3 months notice if they wish to leave before the probationary period of 3 months. Such a long notice time is surely ridiculous??

If it's not in your contract it's not real.

• Advertisement
Advertisement