Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Main driver on two insurance policies

Options
  • 17-01-2019 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

I have my own car policy and herself on as a named driver about 3 months.

Question I have, can I go as the main driver on a second car and put herself down as the named driver again or is this not OK?

I understand I don't get to have my no claims bonus on the second car but I am assuming it will be cheaper for me to go as the main driver and herself as a named driver until she builds up at least a year named driver experience then she can go as the main driver.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

I have my own car policy and herself on as a named driver about 3 months.

Question I have, can I go as the main driver on a second car and put herself down as the named driver again or is this not OK?

I understand I don't get to have my no claims bonus on the second car but I am assuming it will be cheaper for me to go as the main driver and herself as a named driver until she builds up at least a year named driver experience then she can go as the main driver.

You can technically do it but a lot of companies won’t allow it, if your partner is the main driver you are fronting which insurers will see a mile off. It would be better if your partner insured her own to allow her build up a no claims bonus, it will give a better discount than named driver experience.

I dont think they can not pay out for "fronting".
    As much as they dislike it you are either insured or you are not insured.
    If your a named driver on a policy and your paperwork is in order you are insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If the main driver is not declared a such, they sure can refuse to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Is "herself" your wife , partner or girlfriend? It makes a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Is "herself" your wife , partner or girlfriend? It makes a difference

She's my girlfriend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

She's my girlfriend

If your girlfriend is the main user of the 2nd car, that would be considered 'fronting' and has serious implications

Advertisement