Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pricing for a few domestic electrical jobs

Options
  • 17-01-2019 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

• 1 No. Outdoor sensor light (power cable already in situ)
    • 1 No. Outdoor sensor light (no power cable in place. Exterior of garage with power)
    • 1 No. batten light holder in attic (addition to one already in place in attic)
    • Surface mount 1 No. single gang socket, 1 No. double gang socket, 1 No. fused spur and several short lengths of 25mm trunking. Power to single socket already in place.

What would this amount of work run to approximately, assuming all materials are supplied? Would an electrician just price for the work or per electrical item install?

Thanks for the advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

Without looking it would be a days work for whoever does the job so a days wage is what I would ask for

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

keithdub wrote: »
    Without looking it would be a days work for whoever does the job so a days wage is what I would ask for

...and include some for van, insurance, tools etc.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

kkelly77 wrote: »
    • 1 No. Outdoor sensor light (power cable already in situ)
      Assuming everything is in order with the cable & circuit allow 1 hour
    • 1 No. Outdoor sensor light (no power cable in place. Exterior of garage with power)
      Impossible to estimate without knowing how easy it would be to get cabling in place.
    • 1 No. batten light holder in attic (addition to one already in place in attic)
      Assuming everything is in order with the cable & circuit allow 1 hour
    • Surface mount 1 No. single gang socket, 1 No. double gang socket, 1 No. fused spur and several short lengths of 25mm trunking. Power to single socket already in place.
      Assuming everything is in order with the cable & circuit allow 3 hours

What would this amount of work run to approximately,

This is only my guess and I don't do this work, however:
    See hours above in red. Allow €35 to €40 per hour (+ VAT) + call out fee.
    Expect a minimum of an 8 hour charge (if not a full day it won't be worthwhile).
    assuming all materials are supplied?

Supplying the materials yourself will increase the cost as VAT will have to be paid at the higher rate. If supplied by the sparks it will be charged at the lower rate. Also The electrician will know from experience what materials work best, last longer and save time on the install (saving you money). In addition in the event of failure (within a reasonable timeframe) the electrician will have to replace a faulty item free of charge. This would not be the case if the faulty item was supplied by others. So why bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

I'd pretty much endorse everything 2011 has said.

Advertisement