Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York: Planning Trip

Options
  • 16-01-2019 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭

Myself and my GF are heading to NYC for a week in May and would be very grateful for any suggestions on hotels that people have stayed in. A friend has recommend the Edison as a decent but well located hotel but open to any other suggestions.

Budget is about 200$ per night with maybe a bit of room to increase for the right place. I don't know if this is a realistic value to hope for?
    If people feel this should be moved to its own thread I will change it.

Thanks in advance,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

$200 a night would be on the lower end of the scale for NY in May - don't forget to budget for taxes which are not usually included in the rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

We have stayed in the Stewart Hotel last few times we were in NYC, its located on 7th Avenue just across from Madison Square garden and is about a 10 minute walk from Times Square, Penn train station is also just across the road so very handy if using Subway to get around.

This it might be dearer than $200 per night but might be worth a look, think they do deal for 7 night stays.

A friend of mine has stayed in a hotel a 2 blocks up from the Stewart, its called the Pennsylvania Hotel, I have heard mixed reviews on it and I have not actually stayed in it so cannot comment on hotel itself but I think they do rooms for around $200 per night

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

testtech05 wrote: »
    Myself and my GF are heading to NYC for a week in May and would be very grateful for any suggestions on hotels that people have stayed in. A friend has recommend the Edison as a decent but well located hotel but open to any other suggestions.

Budget is about 200$ per night with maybe a bit of room to increase for the right place. I don't know if this is a realistic value to hope for?
    If people feel this should be moved to its own thread I will change it.

Thanks in advance,

Can vouch for Edison , excellent location you are on times square, rooms are a little dated but alot of NYC are like this and it didnt turn me off, Room was spotless clean etc. But the location couldnt beat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Schindlers Pissed

Last month I stayed in the Millennium Broadway on Times Square....it was probably the best location I've stayed in....right across the street from Connollys and The Perfect Pint on 45th St.

I've stayed in The Row on 44th and 8th a lot of times too, very goof location.

The Edison, I've never stayed there but the location is right on Times Square too.

@Green Martian....I stayed in the Pennsylvania....I wouldn't stay there again TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Edison is a great location. Stayed there in 1994 for the World Cup :-) Haven't been in it since, so can't say much for the recent room standards, but was good at the time and just off Times Square.

Pennsylvania Hotel is a mixed bag. Some rooms are really old and crappy, others have been modernised in the last few years and are grand. It's a massive hotel, so it can be pot luck sometimes on the room you get assigned at check-in. If you have a choice online, check for the updated rooms. Check-in lines can be really long as the hotel is huge, as mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭kob29

Stayed in the New Yorker the first time there- too expensive though. Last time stayed in Hotel St.James just off Times Square, it was reasonably priced for the location and grand- clean, comfortable. Remember hotels in NY that's all you really need because you're only in the room when you're conking out from being on the move. No need to go looking for places that do breakfast either, as there's restaurants, cafes everywhere.
    When booking I found better deals on the American version of Expedia, called Travelocity, saved a LOT booking two rooms this way.

Also recommend getting the New York Pass for sightseeing, even for a two day pass it'll sort your transport on the hop-on hop-off bus and you'll do way more when you're not pulling out dollars all the time.
    Bring only comfortable shoes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Actually better if you do look for hotels that do include breakfast as diners, restaurants and cafes for breakfast every morning will definitely add up. Easy to drop $50 for breakfast for a couple. Remember there is no city where money will go as quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Avoid the Pennsylvania Hotel, it's an absolute kip. I'm not too fussy about hotel rooms but not only are the rooms kips but I've read a number of reports since I stayed there of guests complaining of rats in bedrooms, guests being mugged in the corridors.

I'm in Chicago at the moment and was in Philadelphia last week and I'm shocked at how much more expensive everything is compared to last time I visited the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Another option near to Times Square and close to where the Edision and several hotels mentioned is the Fairfield inn and suites (by Marriot), adjacent to the port authority bus terminal. We stayed there last year, very reasonable priced, good location, clean and basic accommodation with a breakfast included.
    As mentioned, double check with whoever you book that EVERYTHING is included, especially resort fees and taxes.

Some recommendations... Book an open top bus tour, do the Staten Island ferry (it's free, great views of the city) and have a coffee and a break in Bryant Park, beautiful one block city park behind the metropolitan library on 5th Ave... my favourite hidden nook in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Everyone will have different views on where to stay in NY.

Personally having stayed in the Edison I would not stay there again. Nothing to do with the hotel, although it is dated and HUGE, it was more to do with the constant noise from Times Square, 24/7. But it was alright.

Next time around we decided that we only really sleep and shower in a hotel, so go somewhere different.

Chose the Seton Hotel in Murray Hill, great spot close to UN and all the Avenues and we walked, walked, walked. Nice neighbourhood, delis close by for great brekkies too. (And a great ahem Irish bar next door too, but no Irish apart from ourselves lol)

Seton Hotel is fine, but small room, staff excellent, very clean and so on. But what do you need in NY, certainly not a five star because you will just flop into bed anyway. Beware though that some rooms are not ensuite. Ours were. Clientele fine too.

Only time we took the subway was to get to the 9/11 memorial and the free ferry to Staten Island. We walked all the way to the Intrepid Museum from our hotel and it was fine.

Just throwing my tuppence in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

While every hotel will have a copy of this the website is worth your while to check out:

www.cityguideny.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

Thanks for all the replies guys, we ended up booking the
    Hyatt Place New York/Midtown-South which seems to have a pretty good location and good reviews from what I could see so I will have to report back after we travel.

On the Hotel Pennsylvania I stayed there on a previous lads trip over to NYC and can honestly say it was one of the worst hotels Ive ever been in, granted it was a few years ago now but I would not recommend it at all.

Advertisement