Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop activity monitor.

Options
  • 17-01-2019 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭

Hi,,
    I'm looking for advice on a piece of software I could install on a laptop that would simply send me an email/alert that it is being used.
    I was pondering a way to keep an extra eye on my father who lives alone and is getting on a little bit. He uses the laptop everyday, so it would give me piece of mind to get the alert, and know he's grand.
    I don't need to know any usage stats,, activity etc,,just a very simple "the laptop is being used by a person,,send an email to ....." once daily function..
    I'm sure theres is something out there that can do this simple task and run unobserved in the background..maybe there's a function in Windows to achieve this..
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Its typically called spyware.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭igorbiscan

Its typically called spyware.
    Great,thanks a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 donaldonal

I don't doubt you're well-intentioned, but irrespective of his age, he's entitled to his privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Can you not give call at lunch time or text?

I f you have genuine concerns about his ability then maybe you should be looking into the multitude of devices now on the market which are designed specifically for this purpose. Just Google "How to monitor elderly at home".

As you parent has internet connection at home, you can benefit from the IoT (internet of things) which have varying levels of invasiveness. I suggest you go down this road. If you are able to broach this subject which your father (which I'd say he won't be happy with, like most) then you could put in a pretty robust system - depending on your budget.

Take a good look online, you're bound to get something suitable for your (and his) needs. Just have a think about the risks of doing this behind his back.

https://www.care.com/c/stories/14960/remote-monitoring-for-seniors/

https://www.tec-angel.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvprowvb13wIVyUPTCh3VEQleEAAYASAAEgLDCPD_BwE

https://justchecking.co.uk/family/dementia#howitworks

donaldonal wrote: »
    I don't doubt you're well-intentioned, but irrespective of his age, he's entitled to his privacy.

Thanks, yeah I get what your saying,,but my only intention is to know he's up and about and not had a fall or can't get out bed of because of his arthritis or some other reason..I simply do not want to know anything only he is up and ok. If that's regarded as an invasion of privacy, sobeit. It's his health and wellbeing is my primary concern.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Start chatting to him with an instant messenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

If you install Skype on the machine you'll be able to view his online status and when he was last on etc. We have it at work - great in many ways, but the boss only seems to look for me when I'm off for a coffee or a dump and my status states I've been inactive for 15 minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

eventghost can do what you want. Something like a notification on your phone using autoremote or an email sent on startup

Lucifer wrote: »
    eventghost can do what you want. Something like a notification on your phone using autoremote or an email sent on startup
    Great, Looks interesting,,I'll look into that.
    Thanks a mill Lucifer :)

Advertisement