Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is your biggest career regret?

Options
  • 17-01-2019 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I am wondering what has been everyone's most significant regret of there career?.

What you should have done?. What you could have done and so on?.

For me, it was leaving my 1st ever job in IT. I got to travel around different sites in Ireland. Learned loads of separate area of IT (must long since forget as I can't use the skills in my role now) included in loads of projects, work got handed to me, and it is not like now where I spend my day trying to do job for myself or projects. Got on well with co-workers, learned loads about the company and how people were happy to work there and so on. I left my role because it was not very well paid and I am sorry I disappeared for money.

So what is everyone else's regret?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I have many.

I left many good jobs because I felt bored and wanted a change, but I probably should have just changed department, or even told my manager about it.

I also regret I didn't learn (until I was 30) that being a manager has nothing to do with competence, and is mostly about networking and aggression.

So I guess my biggest regret is I didn't have a mentor who could have guided me on my career.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Working in a large corporation, truly awful working environment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I spent 30 years in Electronics at a junior level and hated the last 10 years. I now recognise that I did not have the abstract planning and thinking skills needed to make the transition to an engineering role or a software role and I should have gone into an electrical role instead.

The thing is that I did not take the time out to evaluate my strengths and weaknesses and my personality type early enough in my career path to do anything about the way my work life was going.

If I had my life to live again I would have gone into a trade such as electrical instead of electronics. At least the electrical workers still have a job at junior level in Ireland while all the electronic jobs are gone to the Far East or not exist anymore as most devices have been replaced with software etc running on very cheap tablets or Laptops.

Nearly all the technical jobs now available in Ireland call for a trade qualification or an honours degree....I'd be retirement age before I could finish out a 4 yr degree.

In todays work climate it is vital to have plans laid out for each decade of your work life to avoid be left on the scrap heap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    I have many.

I left many good jobs because I felt bored and wanted a change, but I probably should have just changed department, or even told my manager about it.

I also regret I didn't learn (until I was 30) that being a manager has nothing to do with competence, and is mostly about networking and aggression.

So I guess my biggest regret is I didn't have a mentor who could have guided me on my career.

Can empathize with everything that you said, I feel that having the right mentor can make a world of difference for someone's progression. However, it is extremely difficult to find one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

I don't think it's as much a career regret, but work related regret.
    While I was waiting for a role change to happen, a better role came up (more authority) - and I got asked to apply by the guy who needed the replacement.
    At the time I thought it would be a sign of inconsistency if I take this *new* role instead of what I was already lined up for, so I politely declined. The role ended up being taken by someone I had to support heavily anyway with ... little credit in return. The guy was technically good - but got himself in a lot of conflict with superiors; due to personal reasons he decided to drop the role after a year or so.
    In same timeframe I ended up moving to same role type/but different team - where I stayed 2 years and a half.
    Part of me thinks if I'd said yes, there would have been less disruption on the teams we're working with... But hey, change is good for all of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

j4vier wrote: »
    Can empathize with everything that you said, I feel that having the right mentor can make a world of difference for someone's progression. However, it is extremely difficult to find one

Out of interest I am a manager of a department ....

What would you have liked in a mentor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Mr.S wrote: »
    Getting to settled in my early jobs and staying far longer then I should have with little to no progression, looking back I should have changed jobs every 2-3 years.

you mean changing employer or only the role ?

I had only 2 employers in my 20 years experience, but I am changing project/roles every 2 years or so, having in mind a career progression.

that keeps me happy with what I do, even if I would not get spectacular pay rises (the ones ppl get when changing employer).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I went straight from my leaving cert and into a college place that I hated. I was young and stupid enough to listen to my parents who insisted I finished my degree. I wasted 4-5 years of my life in college, I could have been out earning money and learning something.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭eurokev

Not doing an apprenticeship sooner.
    I came out of school with a good 525pts LC I think.
    I wasn't really that academic really though, just bright and sharp, and went on to study maths and fail in uni.
    Spent the next few years working in the drinks industry.
    Was becoming bored and studied an engineering subject by night to keep my skills for maths physics from degrading . Then I said I'll chance an apprenticeship in e&I at 28. Loved it. Qualified a few months ago, completed a cert and ordinary degree by night at the same time, now I have a well paid job as an engineer, that's great and not really like work at all

wally1990 wrote: »
    Out of interest I am a manager of a department ....

What would you have liked in a mentor?

You have to be genuinely interested in what are the ambitions and goals of the people working under you, establish if the work they are doing points them in that direction or what other skill set they should be focused on acquiring to get there.

In my experience, most of the managers that I have dealt with just wanted someone reliable that did the job they were supposed to do without causing trouble which makes them indeed managers but not mentors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

My regret is that in my mid-40's, I don't actually have a career at all. Just a job that anyone could do once they were shown the ropes.

This isn't what I wanted for myself at all.

Doing what turned out to be my final year in Third level. A bad year. I fvcked it up. Would have been FAR BETTER leaving that telephone tech support job and looking for another job, not going back to college. Still feel the effects today, 19 years on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Class of 82

Was offered a role in England in my mid 20s. Talked myself out of taking it. No idea why looking back.

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    My regret is that in my mid-40's, I don't actually have a career at all. Just a job that anyone could do once they were shown the ropes.

This isn't what I wanted for myself at all.

I often think that this could happen with my job. Is there anything that you wish you had done differently to prevent this from happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

j4vier wrote: »
    I often think that this could happen with my job. Is there anything that you wish you had done differently to prevent this from happening?

For starters, I should have worked harder in school, gotten a decent LC and got into an actual college/university, not a PLC. I know that this would have taken me down another path with more opportunity.

I should have been a bit (a lot!) more savvy and realised that a person I though was helping me career-wise most certainly did not have my best interests at heart.

Once I realised everything had turned to sh!t, I should have gone back to college.

But to answer your actual question :) I think complacency, which I am guilty of, is my biggest downfall. Also not getting a decent qualification in.....something. That, and having a mortgage to pay so accepting unhappiness for the money.

Once you have decent qualifications, at least you have more options. Unfortunately I just 'lucked' into the job I have now from a temp position in another area. A school-leaver could do my job after some basic training.

Qualifications. And the drive to improve your station. That's what you need in today's job market, not crappy certificates and complacency, like me.

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    For starters, I should have worked harder in school, gotten a decent LC and got into an actual college/university, not a PLC. I know that this would have taken me down another path with more opportunity.

I should have been a bit (a lot!) more savvy and realised that a person I though was helping me career-wise most certainly did not have my best interests at heart.

Once I realised everything had turned to sh!t, I should have gone back to college.

But to answer your actual question :) I think complacency, which I am guilty of, is my biggest downfall. Also not getting a decent qualification in.....something. That, and having a mortgage to pay so accepting unhappiness for the money.

Once you have decent qualifications, at least you have more options. Unfortunately I just 'lucked' into the job I have now from a temp position in another area. A school-leaver could do my job after some basic training.

Qualifications. And the drive to improve your station. That's what you need in today's job market, not crappy certificates and complacency, like me.

I appreciate your feedback, thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Irish Musician

As a working musician, my biggest regret is not practicing more and learning to read music. Looking back now I realise that just wanting and being able to play is is fine, but to reach the top level you need to aquire a toolbox of skills and reading is one of them. I am lucky to be working constantly so while it is a regret, I have still a great life because of my ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

No major regrets, but I think I'd have preferred not to stay in a comfort zone for quite long in my 2 previous companies (6.5 years and 7 respectively). The last company wasn't too bad as I had a few different roles, so I learnt a bit. Looking back, the first one was a grim place to spend so long.

I've been very lucky then; that has not been my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Resigning from a civil service job years ago, I'm now 10 years away from retirement age and I'd LOVE the prospect of that pension and lump sum. I also wonder how far up that ladder I would have gone.
    Did the right thing at the time though, I had young kids and was offered a well paid job with very flexible hours and that was hard to resist at the time. But I suppose there's no point in looking back, I did what was right for my family at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I turned down a good job in IBM about 20 years ago. It was well paid but working nights so it didn't appeal to me at the time. In hindsight it would have been better for my long term goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

i regret spending so long in the family company for very little reward. Also spending time working overtime on a salary with no additional pay when i should have been spending time with my young son

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I regret 2 things.

1) Not being bothered to access better “guidance counselling” than what was offered by my school. They didn’t really tell us about more unusual careers, instead focusing on the fact you could study the subject you didn’t in school and become a teacher (what I ended up starting to do but eventually moved into other things) or do science/ engineering. It was really poor on their behalf but I just rolled with it.

2) not going with my instincts when I ended up in college doing a degree that was my 2nd choice (geography & philosophy) because I missed my first (geography and sociology) by 10 points. I could have asked for an internal transfer across since they were both in the same college and I could have shaved a hdip and one of my masters degrees off my career progression I reckon.

But in lots of ways, it’s hard to really regret stuff like that because those poor choices help you learn, and get where you are today. I’m very happy with my lot right now and I mightn’t be here if I’d taken a different path anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

I'm 25, working sense I was 21. After school I did a mix of courses all I.T related but never went to college as I was living with my parents at the time, my dad is self employed so I couldn't get a susi grant, my dad refused to pay and I couldn't get a loan either. I did leaving cert applied so I would have had to done a level 5 before college as well.

My dad wanted me to pick up a trade or join him as a painter / decorator but I've no interest at all.

Started working as a sales assistant in retail at 21, moved out and into a flat with my girlfriend. We had an unexpected pregnancy 6 months later. She had to drop her course half way through in health care assisting as she felt very sick with the smell of the hospital she was in on work experience while pregnant.

I was promoted to supervisor 2 years into my job and assistant manager last year. Pay is manageable in the part of the country I'm in but I don't see myself getting a mortgage while also paying rent. Girlfriend is back in her course for health care assistant and will be finished in may but when she finds work afterwards, with us both doing shift base jobs and a 3 year old, its going to be difficult to maintain.

I want to go college but finding the time and money at this moment in time, it seems impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Eoin wrote: »
    I've been very lucky then; that has not been my experience.

Dude we worked at the same company so I know that's not true :pac:

Begins with S and was in a rough location.

Well I've had sh1tty jobs and I've worked in sh1tty, absolutely toxic work environments (The most toxic ive worked in was for the last twelve weeks up to last Friday as it happens) but I firmly believe that most things happen for a purpose and as we live in a world of imperfect or unavailable information that there is simply no point in having any regrets. Put it down to experience, evaluate if there is any learnings from it and move on to the next adventure.

Steve Jobs once said 'you can never join the dots looking forward' and I think there is a lot of truth in what he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I went straight from my leaving cert and into a college place that I hated. I was young and stupid enough to listen to my parents who insisted I finished my degree. I wasted 4-5 years of my life in college, I could have been out earning money and learning something.

I wished I had listened to my parents. Left school after my junior cert. Went to work at 15. Work heavy and long but money very good. Now though the body fukcd with aches and pains and now far to young to retire and to old and sore for heavy or manual work. Wish I had listened.

I wished I had listened to my parents. Left school after my junior cert. Went to work at 15. Work heavy and long but money very good. Now though the body fukcd with aches and pains and now far to young to retire and to old and sore for heavy or manual work. Wish I had listened.

Change your career. Its never too late. Train perhaps as a manual handling instructor? or safe pass instructor? Dont have any regrets. No one has a crystal ball and we all reach different junctures of our lives.

You'll never get that time back and accepting this a big thing in terms of moving forward. Evaluate the positives of what you have achieved and plan where you want to go next.

4f967b9469bedd6828000031-750.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Getting to settled in my early jobs and staying far longer then I should have with little to no progression, looking back I should have changed jobs every 2-3 years.

Think this may be me.....but changing jobs will mean much worse conditions for commuting..

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Both, changing employer's and role. I had it very cushy straight after college (permanent roles, decent pay etc) but very little career development. All fine now, but would have benefited from changing jobs a few more times.
    Yeah same here. If I had taken more interest out of college, looked for high-risk, high-experience jobs in start-ups rather than staying where I was comfortable, then I'd probably have a deeper business network and less desire to want to jump all over the place now.

That said, when the recession hit I had a mortgage but a stable job in a big company.

There's a good chance if I'd been six months in a start-up at that stage, I'd have been utterly fvcked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Dude we worked at the same company so I know that's not true :pac:

Begins with S and was in a rough location.

Fair, but I'd some good managers

Advertisement