Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is your biggest career regret?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

Although I have always enjoyed my work to date, I do regret not finishing a college course as a mature student I did 10 years ago. Or not doing any part time courses since to upskill.
    I still only earn an average wage after 20 years working. Now with a mortgage, I would love to be able to earn more and cut back on working hours.
    So that is my goal for 2019....get as much training as I can to improve my career.

GaGa21 wrote: »
    I do regret not finishing a college course as a mature student I did 10 years ago. Or not doing any part time courses since to upskill.
    So that is my goal for 2019....get as much training as I can to improve my career.

Me too tbf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Class of 82

i regret spending so long in the family company for very little reward. Also spending time working overtime on a salary with no additional pay when i should have been spending time with my young son

It's really only in the last couple of months that I have realised that doing this on a regular basis isn't a good idea. That extra hour or two each day becomes expected and normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Probably that I didn't push for raises and promotions earlier in my career and wasn't ambitious enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

It's really only in the last couple of months that I have realised that doing this on a regular basis isn't a good idea. That extra hour or two each day becomes expected and normal.

i believe in give and take with this to a certain extent but would never do the hours i did before again,, knew id be travelling to the uk tonight so had an extra half hour in the cot this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭turdball

Nothing too much with regards career but blew all my money in my 20's on drink, holidays, cars, phones etc.

30 Now and finally started saving for a mortgage by myself. Just happy to be out of Dublin where I can actually afford one.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Daithi101

Look up the springboard courses. If you're in employment most only require you to pay around 10% of the fees. And alot of them can be done online part time. Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Didn't realise how the working world functioned re: promotions and progression for a good few years. Was incredibly naive for the first few years of my working life. Used to get very frustrated when people who could never work late or weekends because of children etc got promoted ahead of me or other people who worked did so. Always thought that ability and application were key to progressing, when networking is the most important factor by a country mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,668 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Returning from college abroad and accepting a role locally rather than seeking work abroad at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

Turning down a position as an air traffic controller. Has no idea the salary was so good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Daithi101 wrote: »
    Look up the springboard courses. If you're in employment most only require you to pay around 10% of the fees. And alot of them can be done online part time. Best of luck

I had a look at those myself once, the seemed to be all geared towards graduates though. :( My own job is a manual/menial type, but reasonably well paid.

My regret is not going to college, even part-time whilst in my first job. I've been looking at my options for "starting at the beginning" college wise, between time and money it would be very difficult.

That said, I found one in Sligo It which I would love to do. Starts at certificate level, then a few more years to a degree. Yet, part of me thinks it's madness to start now, and be studying up to my 50th birthday.

Distance Learning - maybe I should take the bull by the horns and go for it, nothing to lose only thousands of euro and my sanity :)

BuboBubo wrote: »
    I had a look at those myself once, the seemed to be all geared towards graduates though. :( My own job is a manual/menial type, but reasonably well paid.

My regret is not going to college, even part-time whilst in my first job. I've been looking at my options for "starting at the beginning" college wise, between time and money it would be very difficult.

That said, I found one in Sligo It which I would love to do. Starts at certificate level, then a few more years to a degree. Yet, part of me thinks it's madness to start now, and be studying up to my 50th birthday.

Distance Learning - maybe I should take the bull by the horns and go for it, nothing to lose only thousands of euro and my sanity :)

Another posted just posted a Chinese proverb on another thread.

"The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The 2nd best time is today".

Go in and talk to the course head, tell them your experience and concerns and I'm sure they will encourage you.

Even if it is too late to have a long career as a result of the new qualification, it would be very rewarding to achieve it and I bet you'd enjoy the experience.

Don't let anyone tell you it is too late to do something you want to do.

i believe in give and take with this to a certain extent but would never do the hours i did before again,, knew id be travelling to the uk tonight so had an extra half hour in the cot this morning.

So do I. And if something important needed to be done, I wouldn't be out the door on the dot at 5.30pm. It's just when you come in early, work late every day people take it for granted and don't appreciate you are working 'unpaid over time'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Simple_Simone

Had a chance of moving to Brussels for three years (and possibility of 3 more) with decent rent, travel and expense allowances thrown in, but my better (??) half and the kids over-ruled me. To this day I regard this as a missed opportunity for the whole family.

The kids (who were then 10 and 7) would have had a great opportunity to pick up French and German (whatever about learning Walloon!) in the international school in Brussels, and the Better (??) Half could have developed his long-running love affair with Belgian Trappist beers and the wines of France, as well as learning how to ski.

But he preferred to remain at home, watching Sky Sports and grumbling about Bertie, Biffo, the Pee Dees, the Greens and the cost of living in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Going one level too high. Should have remained technical and not went down the management route.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,988 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Should probably have made some effort to stay in the industry I was working in at 18/19 when the company folded. Didn't.

Ended up back in it and left due to crap money and somehow I'm back again now on enough to live on; but not where I would have been with only 5 rather than 12/13 years solidly at it.

In the interim I worked for a process-obsessed managed services company - I would rather go do The Simple Life and try live off the land than do that again!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

i have a job not a career. its just worked out . its not a regret in the true sense of the word but a tiny piece of me wishes i knew then what i know now and may be i would have had a career doing something id always dreamed of doing.
    but i dont do regrets..life's too short so im happy as i am.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Had a chance of moving to Brussels for three years (and possibility of 3 more) with decent rent, travel and expense allowances thrown in, but my better (??) half and the kids over-ruled me. To this day I regard this as a missed opportunity for the whole family.

The kids (who were then 10 and 7) would have had a great opportunity to pick up French and German (whatever about learning Walloon!) in the international school in Brussels, and the Better (??) Half could have developed his long-running love affair with Belgian Trappist beers and the wines of France, as well as learning how to ski.

But he preferred to remain at home, watching Sky Sports and grumbling about Bertie, Biffo, the Pee Dees, the Greens and the cost of living in Ireland!

no way would mu kid tell me what they were doing

dashoonage wrote: »
    Going one level too high. Should have remained technical and not went down the management route.

Out of interest, can I ask why you say that?

I know you are asking the question of a specific poster but I can give you some reasons which I have heard from 2 people who had a similar experience to being promoted.

Much more responsibility which meant having to work longer hours and because they moved to salary it meant that actual hourly pay was fractionally less than what they had been on previously.

A friend found that when they became a mid-level manager, it alienated them from their colleagues who they previously had been very close with. They said they should have looked for a transfer when taking the promotion rather than ending up managing close friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Simply. I enjoyed my job more as an engineer
    . Management isn't for everyone but I suppose you have to try it to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

Waiting too long until moving to a multi national company. I worked for small businesses until 32/33 and then joined multinational at low level. Got up the ranks pretty quick but after 10 years I was burned out / other priorities and left after 12/13 years.

If I joined earlier in career I reckon I could have got up a level or two more before hitting burn out and financially I would have been mich better of as I would have had a few years at the really well paid level. Also would have had better opportunities to work abroad when younger as it was much easier to just get up and go.

I had some great experiences but ultimately everyone is disposable. It’s a young persons game and I wish I experienced it younger. You can make a lot of money but you work dam hard for it.
    Back in a small business now 5or 6 years and wouldn’t swap it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Eh following money and not personal happiness

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

I grew up in Waterford and my Dad got offered a role in Dublin. He put it to a family vote as to whether to move or not. We all voted to stay to which he replied "This isn't a democracy. Tough, we're moving!" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭SFC1895

Joining the civil service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭bilbot79

As a working musician, my biggest regret is not practicing more and learning to read music. Looking back now I realise that just wanting and being able to play is is fine, but to reach the top level you need to aquire a toolbox of skills and reading is one of them. I am lucky to be working constantly so while it is a regret, I have still a great life because of my ability.

Surely you can learn that now?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,630 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

bilbot79 wrote: »
    Surely you can learn that now?

Of course you can. You can do that at any age apart from very young kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭arsebiscuits82

Turning down 2 things, first an army cadetship and second the guards. Very happy with where I am now but sometimes think of what might have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Believing management lingo at the start of my career. Phrases like "this batch MUST be out the door by cob Friday or else our jobs are at risk" or "Overtime is required to meet this deadline", usually rolled out by management who prey on the innocence and naivety of young employees keen to make an impression. Management is psychology for the most part and no company ever shut down because someone didn't work on a sunday. Thankfully I see through that crap now, especially when I see the same people getting ridden whilst the troublemakers cruise every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I also wish I had listened to my parents. They knew me better than I knew myself and I WASTED 15 years chasing dreams that I couldnt achieve.

Hopefully finally on the right track now, but when I think of where I could have been if I had not been so stubborn and foolish.

Advertisement