Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gillette Fusion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I'd like to buy this but there's a severe case of "Boys will be Boys" that needs breaking up in the corner here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Im finding Gilette Fusion blades to be of much poorer quality than they used to be.
    They don't give as many good shaves as they used to.
    They are still too expensive at that price imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

razorblunt wrote: »
    I'd like to buy this but there's a severe case of "Boys will be Boys" that needs breaking up in the corner here.

And you'd have to change your name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I can buy 100 blades for that type of money. Here's the real bargain alert:

https://www.shaving.ie/bulk-pack-de-blades/?sort=priceasc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Seeing good reports of the Tesco own brand as well, now that everyman is boycotting Gillette I've never known so much about blades

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

OmegaGene wrote: »
    the last lot from Superdrug were terrible the soap strips would just fall off

I bought them in the last 2 bargain threads and the quality of both was ****e. I’m not bothered by the ad, more mildly irritated but if I needed a final shove away from Gilette that was it.

Read about the Lidl shark razors on a thread here and tried them. Been very impressed with them so far although they can nick you from time to time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Seeing good reports of the Tesco own brand as well, now that everyman is boycotting Gillette I've never known so much about blades

I saw them in Tesco. Was thinking of trying them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Last year I signed up with Gruum who send me new blades to fit their shaver every three months for about €9.
    I don't have to think about it they just arrive. (The shave is excellent, too).

I'd be thinking twice about Gillette too, after that abomination of an ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

I used nothing but Gillette up until around a few years ago but then the quality seemed to drop and I couldn't justify the ridiculous price anymore.

Their latest ad campaign was the final nail in the coffin for me.

I use BoldKing now and haven't looked back

Phat Cat wrote: »
    I use BoldKing now and haven't looked back

Interesting.. Will give them a try..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

There is more than one way to shave a beard, and for me lefty Gill€tt€ isn't one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

Wait a few weeks and there will be more offers from Gillette. Its called backlash... but then again "Boys will be boys" I suppose we will be accused of masculine toxicity towards the company.... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

Gillette and me got a divorce,no reconciliation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Ardent

Out of principle I wouldn't buy them regardless of price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Ah good ol Boards shaving bargain alerts, where a possible bargain turns into recommendations for 10 other, often not comparable, razors and complaints about a vicious ad offending them despite many using the 'snowflake' response on tap whenever something else comes up they don't like.

On Gilletes razors I have found that they don't seem as good as they were, I often thought it was just me, but hearing others mention it I do wonder. They are often too expensive for what they are but they do the job but only better value when the promotions for them are on i.e Superdrug one.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭JackNow

Would not go near any P&G products again (looking at you Jillette) after that despicable ad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Lidl's bag of disposables are great and cheap as fck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Still waiting on my free one 😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

JackNow wrote: »
    Would not go near any P&G products again (looking at you Jillette) after that despicable ad.

They'll probably get the message just by a drop in Jillete sales on their excel spreadsheet.

They (P&G) own such a shedload of brands (below) that it's tricky to avoid them. Then again, the Lidl/Aldi of the world offer closely comparable products for much less.

1BEQyjh.png

Yeah, after that ad not going to buy Gillette again..might have a look at some of the suggestions above..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭peejy

Does anyone use Harry's or dollarshave or know anything of their quality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Lidl's bag of disposables are great and cheap as fck.
    Cut the head off ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Another vote for Boldking...anyone looking for a discount code send me a PM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭deadimmortal

Rennaws wrote: »
    Interesting.. Will give them a try..

Been using them for the last year -
    €10 off first orders code MTM0NZG3OQ
    https://www.boldking.com/ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Now this should be the bargain alert. 4 Blades and razor to test this stuff out, 5€.

I hope it goes well.

However I do need a shave! I'll wait it out.

Bought the starter pack.. nice one cheers..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Years ago I wouldn’t buy anything else apart from Gillette but then the quality started to decline, the last lot from Superdrug were terrible the soap strips would just fall off, I prefer the aldi razor now and use that or a cut throat I bought one night online (yes I’d drank too much ) and I’m saving a fortune

Is that the blue razors with the green strips ?

I was in the bath yesterday complaining about the exact same thing.

SB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

Have used the bold king and found them no comparison to the gillette fusion, weren't as sharp and hard to do more strokes to achieve same result as gillette

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭Pique

If you're interested, here are the brands currently owned by Procter and Gamble (Gillette owners) if you feel like spending your money elsewhere

Linky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭jeffk

Got the kit myself to see, loads of blades there thanks to boards, but after the ad will be looking for alternative/s

Got a code if anyone wants it

MTQYNZE4OQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

jeffk wrote: »
    Got the kit myself to see, loads of blades there thanks to boards, but after the ad will be looking for alternative/s

MTQYNZE4OQ

What is the quality like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭jeffk

Soulsun wrote: »

I meant Gillette blades, first time trying boldking, did get a Wilkinson Sword Hydro 5 Sense Energize razor and blade via here and found it good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

I meant Gillette blades, first time trying boldking, did get a Wilkinson Sword Hydro 5 Sense Energize razor and blade via here and found it good

Cheers
    Just ordered the boldking ...

Soulsun wrote: »

It’s €6 delivered for the razor and 4 blades with the promo code..

Live dangerously, take a chance !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

peejy wrote: »
    Does anyone use Harry's or dollarshave or know anything of their quality?

Bought Harry’s recently in Walmart. They were advertising furiously with their dollar shaveclub on radio here last year, now stocking in wallyworld.... they are pretty good and a lot cheaper.

• Advertisement

Cut the head off ya

nah! I've used them for 3 years daily and I think once or twice a dud one cut the neck off me but besides that, all ok!

Pique wrote: »
    If you're interested, here are the brands currently owned by Procter and Gamble (Gillette owners) if you feel like spending your money elsewhere

Linky

I've only used Gillette and Febreeze from that long, long list!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Thanks OP. Although the quality isn't what it used to be they're still better than most of the stuff mentioned here. I don't find it acceptable that a blade will occasionally slice a piece off my face so that's a false saving.

As to the ad, I'm comfortable enough with myself not to get upset by something on f***ing YouTube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Don't care so much about the ad either. I think savings to be made with this Bold King crowd, provided the shave is okay, if not worst case fiver in the bin and cancel the 5 month sub.

Then just pick up some blades if Superdrug loose there minds again. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭californiabear

This link takes you to a 4pk for £12.49

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭userfriendly

Anyone ever try Dorco blades, specifically from here: https://www.razorsbydorco.co.uk/

On offer at the minute but still seems very cheap. I've heard they make some of the subscription razors but have never ordered any before.

Delivery needs to be to PW/PM/AP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭deadimmortal

TallGlass wrote: »
    Now this should be the bargain alert. 4 Blades and razor to test this stuff out, 5€.

I hope it goes well.

However I do need a shave! I'll wait it out.

They are quite good. I find they last a long enough time too. Comes with a handle that can stick to the mirror or inside of the shower, optionally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

As to the ad, I'm comfortable enough with myself not to get upset by something on f***ing YouTube.

For me, it's not about whether I'm comfortable enough with myself not to get upset. It's about sending a signal to the manufacturers that this attack on men is unacceptable and would not be tolerated the other way around. Not only not tolerated, would result in demand for heads on plates if it happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

For me, it's not about whether I'm comfortable enough with myself not to get upset. It's about sending a signal to the manufacturers that this attack on men is unacceptable and would not be tolerated the other way around. Not only not tolerated, would result in demand for heads on plates if it happened.

Whats the other way around? If it was on women? I'm sure it wouldn't need to be explained to you why it's not a level playing field.

'Oh I thought you wanted equality, well you can't have that unless you act the exact same too (despite not actually being equal in lots of situations)'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Yeah I agree the advert and those who came up with it are delusional

+1 the ad in no way 'upsets' me or is going to have me calling for the company to be shut down , but I won't be giving my money to a company who spends it on having a pop at men for being men. Consumer brands should just stay out of politics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

MTQYNZE4OQ

cheers the code worked.worth trying them out for a fiver definitely.:D

YouTube are removing the dislikes on the advert now
    23m views and 1.1m dislikes

How many times have you gone back to watch it?
    As the ultimate male idiot might say, 'SAD'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

How many times have you gone back to watch it?
    As the ultimate male idiot might say, 'SAD'

There are various views on the reasons for the disappearing 'dislikes', including the potential reason that a sudden influx of dislikes leads to Youtube algorithms determining them as being bot activity. But regardless, if there is potential manipulation of the figures it's reasonable to be concerned no? You are making it still about the ad, but OmegaGene was pointing out a potential concern out there that Gillette (P&C) could somehow influence the data.

There are various views on the reasons for the disappearing 'dislikes', including the potential reason that a sudden influx of dislikes leads to Youtube algorithms determining them as being bot activity. But regardless, if there is potential manipulation of the figures it's reasonable to be concerned no? You are making it still about the ad, but OmegaGene was pointing out a potential concern out there that Gillette (P&C) could somehow influence the data.

Concerned? It's an ad. I couldn't give a sh1t.

You obviously do or you wouldn’t be posting about it :D

I posted about the bargain alert and the hysteria surrounding the ad.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement