Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cameras on Google Home Hub?

Options
  • 18-01-2019 10:49am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone else set up viewing your IP cameras on the Google Home Hub or other chromecast device?

I have, with my Logitech Circle cameras, cool feature, but I notice their is a big delay when viewing the camera, about 16 seconds, which doesn't sound much, but makes it almost unusable.

By comparison the Logitech Circle iPhone App is very fast, not even a 1 second delay, so it seems specific to the casting.

Anyone else experience this? Anyone else using the Circle cameras or maybe Nest or other cameras and see what your experience is like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

bk wrote: »
    Has anyone else set up viewing your IP cameras on the Google Home Hub or other chromecast device?

I have, with my Logitech Circle cameras, cool feature, but I notice their is a big delay when viewing the camera, about 16 seconds, which doesn't sound much, but makes it almost unusable.

By comparison the Logitech Circle iPhone App is very fast, not even a 1 second delay, so it seems specific to the casting.

Anyone else experience this? Anyone else using the Circle cameras or maybe Nest or other cameras and see what your experience is like?

I have a TP Link Kasa Camera.

When viewing on the TP Link App, there is no delay.

When viewing on home hub, it is about 10 seconds

When casting to Chromecast, it is about 30 seconds.

It is very frustrating as we use it as a baby monitor. Equally frustrating is that the stream will only play for a certain length of time, and then switches itself off. Ideally, I'd like it to continue until I tell it to switch off.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It is very frustrating as we use it as a baby monitor. Equally frustrating is that the stream will only play for a certain length of time, and then switches itself off. Ideally, I'd like it to continue until I tell it to switch off.

Yep, the same happens with my Logi Circle camera.

Probably a cheap tablet, like a fire tablet, might be better as a screen for a baby monitor. Use the app and no delay and doesn't cut out. A pity as I really like this feature, hopefully it gets fixed.

Thanks for the info on the Kasa cameras, I was eyeing the Kasa outdoor camera, but hoping to use it with the Hub.

I wonder how Nest cameras work?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Probably a cheap tablet, like a fire tablet, might be better as a screen for a baby monitor. Use the app and no delay and doesn't cut out. A pity as I really like this feature, hopefully it gets fixed.

Thanks for the info on the Kasa cameras, I was eyeing the Kasa outdoor camera, but hoping to use it with the Hub.

The tablet idea might be the best bet alright. I would rely on the notifications from the app, but they are so unbelievably sensitive. I have the sensitivity settings at their lowest, but it still registers things like doors closing downstairs or someone coughing downstairs.

One thing I do like is on the Home Hub, there is now a dedicated button for Cameras on the Home View (next to routines, broadcast, play etc). Handy for the home hub on the bedside locker

I'm also curious about the Nest camera. Expensive, but i wonder are its integrations tighter than other 3rd party cameras.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The tablet idea might be the best bet alright. I would rely on the notifications from the app, but they are so unbelievably sensitive. I have the sensitivity settings at their lowest, but it still registers things like doors closing downstairs or someone coughing downstairs.

I found the same with the Yi Camera with it's motion detection using it outdoors. A small change of light (passing car) or moving bush triggers it!

Maybe you can turn off audio detection/notifications?
    One thing I do like is on the Home Hub, there is now a dedicated button for Cameras on the Home View (next to routines, broadcast, play etc). Handy for the home hub on the bedside locker

Yep it is great interface, just a pity that it isn't more reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Use nest with about a 2 second delay - realistically maybe a second. Also works with the Nest Hello

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

Yeah same here re nest.. it's almost insant when someone presses the hello doorbell video shows up on the hub..

Thanks, good to know. Hopefully that is something that will be resolved in time with Logic Circle, Kasa, etc.

Otherwise I might have to look at Nest Cams!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

I have a TP Link Kasa Camera.

When viewing on the TP Link App, there is no delay.

When viewing on home hub, it is about 10 seconds

When casting to Chromecast, it is about 30 seconds.

Regarding the stream turning off on the hub, what I initially noticed is that the stream will stay playing as long as I dont use the Google Home app on my android. Once I open that it stream appears to buffer and stops playing. It's actually got worse and as soon as I use my phone the stream stops.

I wondering if you guys are having the same issue

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I have 3 Nest cameras setup, one each for the front and back gardens and then one as a toddler monitor. I find it's very hit and miss. Recently I'll select them from the list on the hub itself and they simply refuse to load up. I then have to ask Google to show them on the hub and it'll do so. It doesn't happen often but when it does, it's annoying.

Additionally the delay varies quite considerably. Sometimes it's quick to load the camera and other times it takes fecking ages- to the point where I'd be quicker getting up off of the sofa and going to check what's happening outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Also works great if you have a chromecast and gh in the same room on a big tv

• Advertisement

Additionally the delay varies quite considerably. Sometimes it's quick to load the camera and other times it takes fecking ages- to the point where I'd be quicker getting up off of the sofa and going to check what's happening outside.

Thanks, in my case it is both slow to do the initial load (10 secs or so) and then continues to be a good 15 seconds behind what it is showing.

It is a cool feature, with great potential, but seems still very half baked at the moment.

Advertisement