Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being a named driver plus having your own insurance

Options
  • 18-01-2019 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

A question that none of the customer service people have been able to answer.

My missus has been a named driver on my policy for 3 years. Just this month she got herself a car and bought her own insurance policy, adding me in as a named driver so we can drive each other's cars.

She got a discount on her new policy because she has been a named driver for some time.

In 2020 when her policy is due for renewal, will she get a discount for both named driver + her own no claims? or will the named driver experience stop counting?

I'm just not sure if you can accumulate both named driver experience + no claims and how insurers look into both.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,784 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Named driver will stop counting, it will all be just on her own policy's no claims discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

pretty sure it just starts as her NCB from now on since she has her own policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭bop1977

In my experience, I had 3 years as a named driver, what Quinn direct did was keep me at 3 years NCB until year 4 with them. In year 4 my NCB increased and premium dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Named driver will stop counting as a discount, but if she has an accident on that policy it will affect the price of her own next policy.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 heritz

Named driver will stop counting, it will all be just on her own policy's no claims discount.

So that means her premium will go up next year. She's getting a 3 year named driver discount. Next year it will be just 1 year no claims discount. Correct?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

heritz wrote: »
    So that means her premium will go up next year. She's getting a 3 year named driver discount. Next year it will be just 1 year no claims discount. Correct?

Next year she will have one extra step on the NCB scale, it all depends on where they slotted her in when she took our her own policy, taking in to account her driving experience. It will be cheaper than this year (leaving aside any overall rate increase across the board)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

heritz wrote: »

I'd seriously doubt that one year of being a named driver is worth as much (in terms of no claims discount) as one year of having your own policy so I wouldn't assume that she is going to go backwards and pay more next year.

As the previous poster said, it's likely that she will pay less.

Advertisement