Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What oils do you consider to be better than others?

• 18-01-2019 1:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭

Not something Ive overly looked into , but as the people I’d generally follow tend to have a consensus of seed oils bad, whereas preferable is good quality olive oil, coconut oil and butter depending on the context. Main reasoning being, seed oils tend to have a high level of processing and high Omega 6 relative to Omega 3.

Doesnt have a huge implication for what I eat, stopped buying mayo because the main ingredient is rapeseed oil and humus for same reason, though humus should be made with olive oil anyway but obviously cheaper for the supermarkets to substitute in cheaper ingredients, started making it at home and in place of mayo I just use olive oil or make up something with soured cream

So seed oils like rapeseed oils, sunflower oil etc. good for you , bad for you , everything in moderation, the dose is the poison?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

It depends on if you cook them or not. This is a great article and it has a helpful chart: https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-33675975

What I figure from that is that if it hasn't been heated, the oil isn't going to be unhealthy (some are healither than others, some calories are emptier than others but they aren't unhealthy per say) but if you are heating the oil or buying product where the oil might have been heated, go with olive.

AFAIK in Ireland vegetable oil = rapeseed oil without the marketing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

It depends on if you cook them or not. This is a great article and it has a helpful chart: https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-33675975

What I figure from that is that if it hasn't been heated, the oil isn't going to be unhealthy (some are healither than others, some calories are emptier than others but they aren't unhealthy per say) but if you are heating the oil or buying product where the oil might have been heated, go with olive.

AFAIK in Ireland vegetable oil = rapeseed oil without the marketing

In the US rapeseed oil was banned back in the 50’s or 60’s so it got GMO’d by Canada and renamed as Canola oil , interesting article, I like Michael Mosley, he seems to be one of the good guys.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

No oil is good for you but we're not saints, if cooking and using oil use one with a high smoke point like avocado oil, if using raw or low temp cooking use something like olive oil.

I don't think it's true that no oil is good for you per say, but about 75% of Irish people are overweight so yeah, no oil is good for 75% of us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

I see oil like sugar.
    The fibre has been removed and you're then left with the ability to consume a lot of calories without the balancing effect on insulin that fibre provides.

I fry with a splash of water when needed.
    It's amazing how little you miss oil once you get used to cooking without it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

mathie wrote: »
    I fry with a splash of water when needed.

Your pans must be destroyed.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Your pans must be destroyed.

The wonder that is the non-stick pan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I use extra virgin olive oil if using it cold (eg for salad dressing), coconut oil for cooking. Both in moderation.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I use evoo for sautéing or roasting, don't know if that's a bad thing, but I've stopped worrying about it. It's my everyday oil.

The odd time I make a stir fry, then coconut oil if it's in stock, otherwise sunflower. But not too often.

The wonder that is the non-stick pan.

This is coming out of the paranoid side of me, I'll admit it, but i'd rather get a bit of oil than tiny, hormone sized, quantities of Teflon

• Advertisement

This is coming out of the paranoid side of me, I'll admit it, but i'd rather get a bit of oil than tiny, hormone sized, quantities of Teflon

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinkadvice/11643213/Are-we-really-being-poisoned-by-non-stick-pans.html

"Should you stop using your non-stick pans?
    Don't panic - for most people, non-stick pans are one of the smallest sources of exposure to PFASs. Balan says that in a typical US home, exposure from carpets, upholstery and textiles or clothing carries a higher risk than non-stick cookware."

"If you're buying new cookware, the group recommends bypassing nonstick pans in favor of stainless steel or cast iron, for example."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

No oil is good for you but we're not saints.
    Respectfully disagree Tar.
    We need some oils/fats in our diet. Some are considered biological essential.
    Fat gets demonised because it's high in calories. Calories themselves are also demonised - but calories are the most essential part of nutrition next to water.
    I see oil like sugar.
    The fibre has been removed and you're then left with the ability to consume a lot of calories without the balancing effect on insulin that fibre provides.

I don't think oil "without the fibre" has any significant effect on insulin.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Mellor wrote: »
    Respectfully disagree Tar.
    We need some oils/fats in our diet. Some are considered biological essential.
    Fat gets demonised because it's high in calories. Calories themselves are also demonised - but calories are the most essential part of nutrition next to water.

I know you can't really pick out a single thing and say it is bad and I hate demonisation of particular foods. Fats or oils are not "bad" for you but I don't think processed oils are particularly "good" for you. I think there are healthier sources of fat and as with all things, the dose is the poison. Added sugar isn't bad for you, until it is. Fruit juice isn't bad for you but there are better things to drink and eat. Oil is more health promoting than some things you could put in your body, and less health promoting than other things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I tend to use sunflower oil - just a few sprays in the pan/ over roasted veg or spuds. I don't use enough I'm that concerned about it tbh. If I'm stir frying, I start with the sprays to stop the meat sticking, then later in the process just use water (if necessary).

I do have coconut oil, but the standard stuff I use is the sunflower oil. Coconut oil for the win if you're making popcorn in a pan though!

Mellor wrote: »

Would I be wrong in thinking that fruit without the fibre (juice) raising insulin would translate to olives without fibre (olive oil) raising insulin too?

I know you can't really pick out a single thing and say it is bad and I hate demonisation of particular foods. Fats or oils are not "bad" for you but I don't think processed oils are particularly "good" for you. I think there are healthier sources of fat and as with all things, the dose is the poison. Added sugar isn't bad for you, until it is. Fruit juice isn't bad for you but there are better things to drink and eat. Oil is more health promoting than some things you could put in your body, and less health promoting than other things.

It depends how you define bad and who you are talking about, if an individual has insulin resistance and probably half the population out there do to some degree, you really should be avoiding food that spikes your blood sugar because you are just adding to the insulin resistance so in those terms and for that audience fruit juice is "bad".

Would I be wrong in thinking that fruit without the fibre (juice) raising insulin would translate to olives without fibre (olive oil) raising insulin too?

I'd say they are different as a major trigger for insulin is sugar, if you sat down and ate a pound of butter you insulin levels would barely budge. There is some discussion on other things that can cause insulin resistance indirectly, maybe eating the wrong kinds of fats , too much Omega 6 not balanced by Omega 3. The US I believe is a case in point where they consume high levels of omega 6 oils in relation to omega 3s, throw in sugar and you have a heady mix

Fats or oils are not "bad" for you but I don't think processed oils are particularly "good" for you.
    I think that's a rule across all foods tbh. All processed food isn't great.
    Although there's probably plenty of exceptions. Tinned tomatoes, store bought kimchi. :D
    the dose is the poison.
    Yup. As with anything.

silverharp wrote: »
    It depends how you define bad and who you are talking about, if an individual has insulin resistance and probably half the population out there do to some degree, you really should be avoiding food that spikes your blood sugar because you are just adding to the insulin resistance so in those terms and for that audience fruit juice is "bad".

Doesn't that depend what you are having with it? Also, at that rate people would be advised to avoid potatoes altogether?

Fruit juice is high in sugar, sugar raise insulin more than anything else.
    Olive oil is high in fat, fat doesn't raise insulin much at all.

Fibre in whole fruit slows down the digestion of the sugar, but it's the same response over a longer period.

• Advertisement

Doesn't that depend what you are having with it? Also, at that rate people would be advised to avoid potatoes altogether?

one is a whole food the other isn't?, most people that recommend smoothies for example tend to advise going for low sugar, have a kale shake with some berries not an orange juice and banana based one. I guess you could say that if you had a glass of OJ with an avocado salad the combined meal wouldnt necessarily spike your blood sugar but I doubt most people combine their food very well
    I’d love to see the cost of those continuous blood sugar monitors go down, Kellogs and Quaker oats will be out of business in no time ;-)

Advertisement