Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Ireland committing genocide?

Comments

Marengo wrote: »
    Rural Ireland is neglected, planning wise, as schools, post offices etc closing but genocide is a highly inappropriate term to use.

It's 2019. 2018 taught us that using big words actually works on a lot of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Anthracite

Realitykeeper wants to live in a world where people are required to stay in the village of their birth and are not allowed leave for better opportunities elsewhere.

Sounds great. Your thinking would have been very current in the medieval period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I hear Irish people with pitch forks and macheties outside help I'm ginger

• Registered Users Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Lone Stone wrote: »
    I hear Irish people with pitch forks and macheties outside help I'm ginger

Your eyes may be too far apart for realitykeepers comfort.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

The M6 motorway is in Co Roscommon.
    Athlone railways station is 2.8 kms from Co Roscommon

The railway runs from Athlone through Roscommon town and Castlerea and on to Mayo. Another line runs from Longford through Boyle and into Sligo. The line from Athlone to Galway stops in Ballinasloe which is a few Kms from parts of Roscommon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

Oh no not another Traveller thread. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

If there was interest from companies in locating there then the facilities would be provided....

That is not the way to run a country.

Why would you open a business in Donegal?

What does Donegal have that Dublin, or Cork or Galway doesn't?

Theyre having to raffle away houses
    https://m.facebook.com/356581234676034/posts/776786545988832/

It has less infrastructure. It needs more infrastructure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭BuzzMcdonnell

It has less infrastructure. It needs more infrastructure.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink.

batgoat wrote: »
    Nope, still incredibly insulting to those who have been subject to ethnic cleansing. It's more that you have a pretty racist agenda akin to those who actually favour ethnic cleansing. You thanked that massive racist a few pages back who started going on about mixed race children, right?

Well JusAThought suggested it be called ethnic cleansing and I agree. I do not have a racist agenda and if I thanked the person you are referring to it would have been for something else that he said that had nothing to do with racism.

• Advertisement

A few years ago on the radio, I heard someone explain part of the reason why industry is centered more around Dublin, and not in the West.

A prospective tech company (for example) is looking for a suitable premises in Ireland, contacts the department for trade and enterprises who refers them to commercial estate agents in Dublin.

The tech company sends a couple of representatives to Dublin where they are me by the guys from the estate agents who brings them to a site not far off the M50 where there are several large units ready for action.

They have a look around, grab lunch and are back up at the airport for an afternoon flight home. No fuss, job done.

So to repeat, the northwest needs infrastructure such as airports, motorways, zoning/planning and support services, serviced industrial sites and so on.

What I am saying is they should get these things.

So to repeat, the northwest needs infrastructure such as airports, motorways, zoning/planning and support services, serviced industrial sites and so on.

In an ideal world, preferably one where five hundred euro notes grew on trees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Prince William

Marengo wrote: »
    Rural Ireland is neglected, planning wise, as schools, post offices etc closing but genocide is a highly inappropriate term to use.

It's very rare for a school to close unless the pupil numbers drop to below 5, Some post offices are closing because it's not 1979 and more and more oaps every year are choosing direct deposit as the payment method for their pension and bills are being paid by direct debit, Standing order, online, over the phone.

Collie D wrote: »
    To be fair to Athenry the main objector to Apple lived on the other side of the country. Think he was hoping to set it up on his own land.

Complete manipulation of the process.

Wasn`t there some spurious objection to a Vodofone mast in Dublin recently and they only found out by accident that the objector did not live where he claimed? It caused a 6 month delay.

It's very rare for a school to close unless the pupil numbers drop to below 5, Some post offices are closing because it's not 1979 and more and more oaps every year are choosing direct deposit as the payment method for their pension and bills are being paid by direct debit, Standing order, online, over the phone.

School 5 minutes up the road from me has about 10 pupils. Another one 30 second down the road from me has about 100. Never understood how they don’t just close the smaller school and move the 10 students to the larger school.

fxotoole wrote: »
    Fair enough. The point is that maybe if the people of Western Ireland stopped objecting to things that might improve their infrastructure, they might actually get some development and stimulus of their local economy

... and as just pointed out (two posts back), this happens in Dublin also. Nice try but no cigar.

... and as just pointed out, this happens in Dublin also. Nice try but no cigar.

Nobody said it doesn’t happen in Dublin, but it seems to happen a whole lot more rurally.

The OP has a concerted agenda, for us to participate in his warped game and extend the lifespan of this redundant thread interminably. The cretinous premise that rural malaise is akin to genocide was all he needed to fan the flames of derision.

Now now, temper temper. Let us remain couth. Foot stamping is for two year olds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Why? As one of the least densely populated counties with little history of industry, with few skilled workers in growth sectors, few large towns, with crappy infrastructure, no port, no airport, no railways, and no one to use them, why would the government invest money in roads and rail to nowhere, at the expense of all the other areas in the country that desperately need infrastructure?

Donegal is the wild west.
    Well JusAThought suggested it be called ethnic cleansing and I agree.
    Ethnic cleansing is when a strong group forcibly removes a weak group. So what group is performing the ethnic cleansing up near you?

rizzodun wrote: »

The N4 (Sligo to Dublin) is seeing investment and upgrade from Sligo to Castlebaldwin, the most dangerous stretch of that road.

Yes I am sure there is investment for the Sligo to Dublin road, the Limerick to Dublin road, the Galway to Dublin road, the Cork to Dublin road, the waterford to Dublin Road yet somehow I feel infrastructure spending is skewed in favour of some places to the detriment of others. I mean, not every county will be getting 1.4 billion for a childrens hospital and then enjoy people from all over the country coming to stay in their hotels in order to remain close to their sick children. Not every county will be getting a 4 billion euro metro and certainly not every county gets the same per square Km as every other. No wonder our country does not have enough housing in some places and not enough people in others.

• Advertisement

Anthracite wrote: »
    Realitykeeper wants to live in a world where people are required to stay in the village of their birth and are not allowed leave for better opportunities elsewhere.

Sounds great. Your thinking would have been very current in the medieval period.

I want to live in a world where people have the choice of staying in the village of their birth or going elsewhere for opportunities. As things stand, they have no alternative but to leave.

Now now, temper temper. Let us remain couth. Foot stamping is for two year olds.

Jesus wept.

Intelligent dismissal of your nonsense is neither uncouth or a display of ill temper.

You’ve nothing to do with keeping things real. You clearly have no grasp at all on reality and if you’re genuinely trying to argue these points based on any genuiely held belief at all, you probably never had in the first place.

You want full railway services, FDI, an airport and Dog knows what else for a sparsely populated region, indeed one with a shrinking population (they’re leaving, who can blame them, not being killed off, FFS) and you think it’s no way to run a country to not invest in those things anyway?

Christ on a bike and Dog save us. I hope you get a Darwin Award for your efforts.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink.

Without water, the horse can`t drink.

In an ideal world, preferably one where five hundred euro notes grew on trees.

There is nothing ideal about hyperinflation.

Nobody said it doesn’t happen in Dublin, but it seems to happen a whole lot more rurally.

As mentioned already, planning, zoning and related support services are just as necessary in rural areas as they are in Dublin.

Without water, the horse can`t drink.

And if the horse is so chock full of crap....

Why? As one of the least densely populated counties with little history of industry, with few skilled workers in growth sectors, few large towns, with crappy infrastructure, no port, no airport, no railways, and no one to use them, why would the government invest money in roads and rail to nowhere, at the expense of all the other areas in the country that desperately need infrastructure?

It should make these investments for precisely the reasons you mentioned. The investments were not made in the past so they need to be made now for the benefit of the country as a whole.
    Donegal is the wild west.

Ethnic cleansing is when a strong group forcibly removes a weak group. So what group is performing the ethnic cleansing up near you?

The Irish government.

It should make these investments for precisely the reasons you mentioned. The investments were not made in the past so they need to be made now for the benefit of the country as a whole.

The Irish government.

How about this then...

How about all those who moved to Dublin leave and move back to the north-west. They can pack in their jobs, sell their houses to all the Dubs living in Wexford, Kildare, Meath, Louth etc. There will then be affordable housing for all the ‘locals’ in Dublin and a swell in population in the NE region which will justify the investment, right? All their taxes from their salaries and income as landlords there in that region will... Oh, no.... Wait now.

I think I might have found a little problem there now.

Get a grip RK.

JayZeus wrote: »
    Jesus wept.

Intelligent dismissal of your nonsense is neither uncouth or a display of ill temper.

You’ve nothing to do with keeping things real. You clearly have no grasp at all on reality and if you’re genuinely trying to argue these points based on any genuiely held belief at all, you probably never had in the first place.

You want full railway services, FDI, an airport and Dog knows what else for a sparsely populated region, indeed one with a shrinking population (they’re leaving, who can blame them, not being killed off, FFS) and you think it’s no way to run a country to not invest in those things anyway?

Christ on a bike and Dog save us. I hope you get a Darwin Award for your efforts.
    In 2009, the African city of kigali set aside 100 hectares for a special economic zone. Despite, being landlocked, a thousand miles from the nearest seaport, in the middle of Africa with a history of genocide the project was so sucessful they are planning 8 more such zones and as common sense dictates, they are planed for other places in Rwanda, they won`t all be squashed into Kigali. Build it and they will come. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqCD1u6K4aM

• Advertisement

And if the horse is so chock full of crap....

The north west is not full of crap. (If you had said that about me I would have reported you.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭donegal_man

OP is suggesting that there is "ethnic cleansing" being carried out in Ireland yet his arguments regarding a lack of schools, infrastructure etc in certain areas would surely make them just as inhospitable to the perceived replacement population as they are to the "natives".

How about this then...

How about all those who moved to Dublin leave and move back to the north-west. They can pack in their jobs, sell their houses to all the Dubs living in Wexford, Kildare, Meath, Louth etc. There will then be affordable housing for all the ‘locals’ in Dublin and a swell in population in the NE region which will justify the investment, right? All their taxes from their salaries and income as landlords there in that region will... Oh, no.... Wait now.

I think I might have found a little problem there now.

Get a grip RK.

They can`t go back because the north west needs investment. Why do you think they keep leaving the north west and going to Dublin? It is because of investment in Dublin and lack of investment in the north west.

OP is suggesting that there is "ethnic cleansing" being carried out in Ireland yet his arguments regarding a lack of schools, infrastructure etc in certain areas would surely make them just as inhospitable to the perceived replacement population as they are to the "natives".
    Yes well the natives are allowed to work and they do not require the same level of support so yes there is a difference between apples and oranges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

That is not the way to run a country.

So you want to force companies to set up in your back garden? Yeah, that will attract companies to Ireland. You can’t force them to pick Donegal over Dublin.

Waste of money if they are not utilised. Companies can’t be forced to locate where they don’t want to.

• Advertisement

Yes I am sure there is investment for the Sligo to Dublin road, the Limerick to Dublin road, the Galway to Dublin road, the Cork to Dublin road, the waterford to Dublin Road yet somehow I feel infrastructure spending is skewed in favour of some places to the detriment of others. I mean, not every county will be getting 1.4 billion for a childrens hospital and then enjoy people from all over the country coming to stay in their hotels in order to remain close to their sick children. Not every county will be getting a 4 billion euro metro and certainly not every county gets the same per square Km as every other. No wonder our country does not have enough housing in some places and not enough people in others.

Think before you type! The majority of the population is condensed on the east coast. Why would it make sense to build the children’s hospital in the North West where it will only be convenient for a small portion of the population.

It’s lucky that we don’t have people like yourself running the country. We’d never have a pot to p1ss, no money to pay for hospitals, pensions, social welfare, or infrastructure where it’s requires due to money spent on infrastructure that is in the wrong place or not used.

They can`t go back because the north west needs investment. Why do you think they keep leaving the north west and going to Dublin? It is because of investment in Dublin and lack of investment in the north west.

If they really wanted to go back they would. However, they seem to enjoy city life. If they are so desperate to go back then there’s the social welfare to fall back on if they can’t get a job. Us in the rest of the country will pay our taxes for them to life a social welfare life.

The fact is that many young people are moving out of the North West because they don’t want to be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Op has overlooked the fact that there is investment happening in the Northwest. He's just not happy because it's not 1 billion for a children's hospital....

And he uses some African third world city as his backup for industry, when it is in no way comparable to Ireland or Europe.

Why don't you run for government if you can do a better job? I'm sure loads of people would be interested in hearing your..... ahem.... Insight??

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭PistolsAtDawn

Rural Ireland is in decline because it is impossible to build a house there with the fupping stupid local needs apply laws each county council has in place.

The only way a first time buyer to get a house in rural Ireland is to buy an existing property which will be too expensive for a first time buyer anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,724 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

You have been (wrongly) predicting a global depression for many years now. All of a sudden you're saying that even though this "depression" is imminent that the government should spend billions on the above in the hope it may attract a few jobs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Rural Ireland is in decline because it is impossible to build a house there with the fupping stupid local needs apply laws each county council has in place.

The only way a first time buyer to get a house in rural Ireland is to buy an existing property which will be too expensive for a first time buyer anyway.

What is your budget? Some for sale here at low prices compared to Dublin.

https://www.daft.ie/roscommon/houses-for-sale/strokestown/

From reading this thread, I'm starting to think that the internet should be switched off for parts of the North West. Maybe we should even build a wall around it to ensure that the natives are kept ethnically pure and that they can't cause their own genocide by escaping to the big schmoke.

What is your budget? Some for sale here at low prices compared to Dublin.

https://www.daft.ie/roscommon/houses-for-sale/strokestown/

Sure everyone has to build a new one-off house where there are no services and be provided those services for free. There is land to be used! They can't be expected to live in a used house. They're entitled to it.

So you want to force companies to set up in your back garden? Yeah, that will attract companies to Ireland. You can’t force them to pick Donegal over Dublin.

No I want to give companies alternatives. No company would choose the expense or congestion of Dublin if they had an alternative with adequate infrastructure in the north west.

No I want to give companies alternatives. No company would choose the expense or congestion of Dublin if they had an alternative with adequate infrastructure in the north west.

There are many other towns within an hour of Dublin airport with the lower costs, facilities and infrastructure you desire and they still lose out to Dublin. Can you explain that?

Waste of money if they are not utilised. Companies can’t be forced to locate where they don’t want to.

Companies want alternatives and they should have them. Forcing companies to locate in Dublin is just cruel.

Companies want alternatives and they should have them. Forcing companies to locate in Dublin is just cruel.

No one forces companies to locate in Dublin. Nobody at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭relax carry on

The irony of your username OP is hilarious. I'm not sure what reality you keep but it seems to be unique to you.

I'm still waiting for chemtrails and fluoride in the water to be mentioned. There isn't be much else missing from this thread.

Think before you type!

Take your own advice!
    The majority of the population is condensed on the east coast. Why would it make sense to build the children’s hospital in the North West where it will only be convenient for a small portion of the population.

If you eat a lot of food you get fat. If Dublin continues to starve the rest of the country while continuining to gorge itself on things like 1.4 billion euro hospitals, people will continue to leave the north west and go to Dublin.

• Advertisement
Advertisement