Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creche ratio

Options
  • 18-01-2019 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭

My 5 yr old son started a new creche this year, am reasonably happy with it however I have concerns about the staff ratio, I've looked at a couple of websites to get the correct ratio for after school (sessional) and it's 1:10/11.

The problem is that when I pick my son up there are regularly 14 or 15 children to one caregiver, she's always very flustered and I dont think she's capable of minding them on her own. My son has had some toilet regressions and she has been no help at all (how can she, she'd want to have eyes in the back of her head with that many kids)

Should I discuss this with the centre manager or go straight to Tusla to make a complaint? has anyone any experience in this area...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I think currently there are no ratios for after school but it is going to be 12:1 later this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

no ratios for after school. its 1:11 for montessori/pre school

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

If you son has toilet regression issues at five I would be seeking expert help for him.

You arent going to get this help from an overpaid underworked member of staff who is probably working in this place because she cant get any other job.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Has he any toilet issues in school? Ratio is a lot higher there. It’s a major bugbear of mine that preschool ratios are so stringent yet the powers that be have no problem packing 30 infants into a classroom with a single teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Has he any toilet issues in school? Ratio is a lot higher there. It’s a major bugbear of mine that preschool ratios are so stringent yet the powers that be have no problem packing 30 infants into a classroom with a single teacher.

You've hit the nail on the head there. We have a Junior Infant with a nut allergy in my school and one of the SNAs used to work in the local preschool. She was telling me today that his lunch had to be kept in a separate fridge, she had to be gowned and gloved to check all the lunches of his classmates, three adults were involved in the supervision of handwashing .....
    And 10 weeks later he's in a classroom of 30 with one adult. No fridge and not even a sink in the classroom for children to wash hands before eating!! Poor teacher has to get a basin filled with soapy water twice a day.
    Beyond ridculous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

The ratios in primary are a joke. Read a post of voice for teacher by an extremely stressed out primary school teacher with 33 in junior infants and no other support. Insanity. Even more so when you compare it to the crèche and preschool ratios

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

My toilet regression I just mean that he gets wrapped up in what he's doing and needs gentle reminders to go. He's fine at school but when he gets playing with his friends he sometimes forgets.

I've spoken to a professional and have been told it's nothing to be concerned about.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

1:11 is only for ECCE.

No ratio for afterschool age children. I would still complain. there should always be a min of 2 adults on the premise at any time

Advertisement