Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Munster vs Exeter Chiefs, Sat 19th Jan 5:30pm, Virgin Media / C4 / BT

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

lbc2019 wrote: »
    What is worse, the review or the spelling lolz

I stand by the review but yes the spelling mistake is embarrassing.;)

The review was reductive

Peregrine wrote: »
    Both teams were ****e. More box kicks than passes. You didn't miss much.

I hate the box kick as a tactic. It can ruin a game when it's overused.

When executed well it’s very effective

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭griffinlee

Rob Baxter is a class act though. Never moans, never is pissed of.

There is so much you could write about that game. Exeter to my mind were the better team, they were much more deliberate. They held onto the ball and rarely let it go through more than a pair or two of hands before taking it into contact and recycling. I thought after they scored the try that Munster were going to be in a lot of trouble, Exeter had a game plan that was repeatable ad nauseam and Munster were reliant on box kicks and prayers.

Munster were just about losing the contact zone and as a result were trying to keep the ball in Exeter's half and force them to carry it back against a disciplined wall. It was an exhausting game to watch with very little dynamism on display, Munster committed themselves to tackling hard and often, Exeter committed themselves to run into walls for 80 minutes and no one flinched until that last Munster penalty when Exeters heads finally dropped.

I'm very disappointed in Exeter. I remember when I was 19 getting a massive bollocking from my coach for pushing the pace hard from the gun in a road race only to finish 3rd having run out of steam. My coach was furious because I was a faster finisher than 1st or 2nd but I wanted to win the race "the hard" way rather than relying on sitting and kicking for home. Exeter in their refusal to take points on offer brought that memory to the front of my mind and whilst you might admire their dedication to the game plan - they would very possibly be heading to the Heineken cup quarter finals now had they used their heads.

It's the same brain drain that seems to be impacting English rugby from the clubs upto the national team. An inability to make good tactical decisions on the field. You would think after Robshaw's decision against Wales in the world cup that English players in general would have learned a lesson about taking points but no, and here at another big stage once again they commit to self destruction.

I'm absolutely delighted though. Munster were incredibly composed to keep at it under immense pressure for over 60 minutes of that game. I don't think ye would have won this game last season. I'm still a little concerned however, whilst that's a win that might have been previously out of reach - there is still a real deficiency in attack and Munster are going to have to find something more to offer up if they have hopes of beating Saracens, Racing or Leinster. Whilst Exeter didn't punish them today, kicking that much to a more potent back 3 is going to produce points on the board against you.

Murray was the difference today, he was a pressure valve and slowed the game down at key moments - literally the difference between the sides. Tadgh Beirne was sensational and very close to Murray in his contribution to the win. Everyone else did a hard job well and can be satisfied with the toughest of wins against one of the best teams in England.

Well done Munster - enjoy tonight and congratulations on topping a really tough pool. Delighted.

It was a tight slug fest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

lbc2019 wrote: »
    When executed well it’s very effective

No doubt it is, just not great to watch that's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

There was allot of box kicks.
    And kick tennis
    Reminded me of the RWC 2007 games

There was allot of box kicks.
    And kick tennis
    Reminded me of the RWC 2007 games

If someone told me that Declan Kidney coached Munster to this win I would be inclined to believe them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

If someone told me that Declan Kidney coached Munster to this win I would be inclined to believe them.

You would want your head examined to have ran the ball against the chiefs. Munster did very well. I agree they would have lost that last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Exeter looked like they had convinced themselves that they would get very few chances and needed a seven point return from everything that came their way.

Except when they found themselves continuing to dominate possession but second best at the set piece, there was no one rethinking things. Dreadful game management.

Munster defended brilliantly but the lack of cutting edge in the backs was very worrying.

• Advertisement

Exeter not used to the business end of European Rugby

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 224 ✭✭Stout Warrior

Only 4 games ever lost in Europe in Thomond by Munster. That’s some record

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Poor spectacle skills wise but a real battle.
    Munster need to recruit a few players for the back row. TOD, Botha and others don't offer enough.

I can't see Munster going far. They are very limited once you match the aggression and the box kick tactic.

They had a huge amount of turnovers tonight.

Exeter are game but lack the skills and pace to hurt sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I hate the box kick as a tactic. It can ruin a game when it's overused.

You must hate watching ireland win grand slams so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Munster need to recruit a few players for the back row. TOD, Botha and others don't offer enough.

I can't see Munster going far. They are very limited once you match the aggression and the box kick tactic.

This is like an annual thing, Munster will make the semi's again which will make them too 4 in Europe again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

More thinking of Argentina and SA. EOS was coach in 07! Edit- oh yea I get what u mean now with Deccie “game plan”
    SA & Arg realised what needed to be done to optimise results with the players they had (great kickers and chasers) and to avoid pens.
    Jury is still out on Munster coaching.
    Just on Murray- actually thought his passing in particular was off & some of his decisions.
    Kicking and tackling were superb.

I think you are underestimating how good the chiefs are. They made Munster look ordinary through superb defence and by limiting errors and penalties. They also hold on to the ball very well for long periods and grind teams down that way.

Agreed Scannel and Farrell are a bit one dimensional in the centres but they have a good back line and showed they are very good against mediocre opposition last week.

You can look at a game like that and wonder where the tries are going to come from for Munster but as I said that would be underestimating how good Exeter were to make them look ordinary.

Van Graan is a very polished and I like the way he talks he would command respect from me if I was a player. Are his performances akin to Kidney? Completely different teams and styles of play the Munster of old were kick to the corners and play for lineouts. I'm not saying Munster are limited but relying on Murray too much is really taking a leaf out of the Ireland playbook. Jury's out on him but I think he's good with what he's got

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Great result for Munster considering the team that they were up against - nothing like a tight game for the spectator. Despite being in a Leinster pub everyone still fell silent for Joey's kicks. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Can't see Munster going away. Such a blunt attack.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Jewelers

in what respect , Murray was dreadful got a knock to the head and hand early in game and should have been taken off, Munster's passing and handling was awful , but I never though they would lose it . Botha was a monster when he came on TOD is not right . A very enjoyable game fester is a great pundit Ryle should **** off back to rte :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭MikeCork2009

Hey. When/where are the QF tickets likely to go on sale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

We were poor today but still gotta be happy with beating thr current premiership leaders. Despite the poor performancei thought there were a few good points. BEIRNE is quality and fair playto Carbs forslotting the kick. Im think i heardthat Carbs is now 20 for 20 in kicks at goal. If that's the case then that's unbelievable form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Well that was ****ing tense!!! Great to get the result and get through to the quarter finals. Made hard work of it but when do we ever make things easy.

Our defense and set piece was immense today. Beirne is phenomenal and not sure how POM played the full 80. He is a machine.

However, we were absolutely abysmal with the ball in hand. I’d say we didn’t put five phases together all game. Really think we need a re think on the attacking coaching of the side. Just don’t thing we are getting what we should be from the players at our disposal.

Anyway, roll on Edinburg which will be another tough, gritty and very much 50/50 game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Billy ****ing Holland. Immense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Kilcoyne and Ryan were immense had their opposite numbers in their pocket scrum time. Have to watch the game back again but I have never seen such a dominant scrum get so little reward penalty wise

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Boscoirl wrote: »
    Kilcoyne and Ryan were immense had their opposite numbers in their pocket scrum time. Have to watch the game back again but I have never seen such a dominant scrum get so little reward penalty wise
    Exeter did really well to get the ball out of the scrum before Munster really made much ground. Munster pushed Exeter back but the scrum very rarely collapsed or disintegrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

B i l l y h o l l a n d aaayy

https://youtu.be/EWcTp1r_Nls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

leakyboots wrote: »
    Btw Exeter fans are giving the chop still while the subs for warm down, made great noise today
    Biggest contingent of away fans for a euro game I've seen for a long time in Thomond.

Boscoirl wrote: »
    awec wrote: »
    Exeter did really well to get the ball out of the scrum before Munster really made much ground. Munster pushed Exeter back but the scrum very rarely collapsed or disintegrated.

I think Exeter this year are a nice bit beyond the team that lost to Leinster. They were really good at the breakdown. I'd go as far as saying that they would have beaten the team Leinster fielded last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

Well that was fun. Not exactly a vintage game for connoisseurs of attacking rugby and the preceding try fests probably made it look worse for most neutrals. But it was still a very compelling and absorbing spectacle. Overall a great result for Munster. However I have to say that I agree they will need to find another level if they want to go much further; that degree of offensive bluntness just wont cut it against the top sides. The thing is, when you look at that Munster backline with the likes of Murray, Carbs, Earls and Conway, they should certainly be able to offer more than that going forward.

But in evaluating Munsters performance people should not underestimate just how good that Exeter team is. Not many sides look great against them. Of all the teams Leinster played last year, they gave us our toughest examination by far (with the possible exception of Racing in the final). It wasn't a perfect showing from Munster by by any means, but it was a bloody good one all the same. Congrats to all.
    I hope Munster do win and win handsomely but I can't shake the feeling that this is going to be a tougher than expected weekend for the Irish provinces.

This is looking like a very prescient comment now.

Hopefully our game tomorrow wont be as tense or as close as Munster and Ulsters matches today but I'm worried it will be. Looking at both teams on paper and given current form we should in theory be winning it with something to spare. However I really think Wasps will be up for it big time. They are coming in fully loaded, have nothing to lose and will be playing for pride on their home turf.

Lets hope we can make it 3 out of 3.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

In defence, Munster were excellent. Really, really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Faugheen wrote: »

Exeter were so obvious and one dimensional though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Faugheen wrote: »

Exeter were so obvious and one dimensional though.

They both were. Exeter just kept flipping it wide and pushed back by Munster's linespeed.

And Munster just kept one out running and losing collisions.

It was dreadful attacking rugby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Munster have two months now to sort out their attack. For now, I'd rather be in the competition than out.

Both Munster-Exeter fixtures were remarkably similar. A physical battle was the name of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Munster have two months now to sort out their attack. For now, I'd rather be in the competition than out.

Both Munster-Exeter fixtures were remarkably similar. A physical battle was the name of the game.

The problem is Murray Earls Conway Farrell and Carbery won't be around much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Munster have had two years to sort out their attack and it hasn't improved. This is a legacy problem going back to the Foley/Erasmus days. They aren't going to magically get better now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I wonder is it worth looking at how Felix is running things? The scrum and forwards in general under Flannery has been pretty rock solid and performing much higher than the backs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

That was an armwrestle, and we won it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I wonder is it worth looking at how Felix is running things? The scrum and forwards in general under Flannery has been pretty rock solid and performing much higher than the backs.

Definite over reliance on Murray's box kicks. Carbery barely got ball in hand all game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Annabella1

Really enjoyable game
    Both teams really went at each other

Is Murray fully fit?

We are a bit light at open side / 7

Exeter fans were super

• Advertisement

leakyboots wrote: »
    That was an armwrestle, and we won it.

I think in essence that's it exactly. Anyone coming in here saying that it was a poor game is talking out their tailpipe. The stakes were high, the intensity was off the charts and we got what we could from a team with nothing to lose.

We had something to lose and they had something to gain, the pressure was always on us and we came out the other side smiling. Next game please!

The handling from Munster wasn't great in the backs or across the whole team but I wouldn't lay blame on the coaches. Both teams were gasping for air and with fatigue comes errors. That said Exeter made less handling errors even though they were also gasping.

I think it comes down to Exeters line coming up fast and sending shooters up the centre channel that forced Munsters handling errors. Shane Jennings alluded to it in the TV3 post match analysis. Exeters push up and out defence caused pressure in the midfield and outside joey which forced the errors all day.

As I said take nothing away from Exeter they made Munster look one dimensional and amateur at times but the players have to take their share of the blame. Murray threw one or two wild offloads that were completely out of character but I'd just put it down to the game that was in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Congrats Munster, that was a real old school HEC arm wrestle and they held their nerve. Not a classic for the neutral but the intensity was incredible. Great to watch two teams go full pelt at each other and put everything on the line. Munster are building and looking like a real threat again.

Biggest contingent of away fans for a euro game I've seen for a long time in Thomond.

They were superb I must say. Good fun and created a great atmosphere. Can’t remember it so quiet for the penalty kicks. It was scarily quiet.

Iv been banging on about this for a long time. Think the attack side of coaching needs a long look at. We are very poor given the talent at our disposal and the ball we get from an impressive forward pack. We certainly have the players to cause problems in attack but I just don’t think Felix is getting the most out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

They were superb I must say. Good fun and created a great atmosphere. Can’t remember it so quiet for the penalty kicks. It was scarily quiet.

Exeter are 2nd favourite club in the competition for many rugby supporters I know. Their talent is home grown and they work hard as a team and are humble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

You’d have to wonder what would’ve happened if Exeter kicked their goals instead of constantly going to the corner and failing. Enthralling game. Not a classic but was sitting on a knife edge for so long where one score would change who went through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

I thought it was a poor spectacle and a poor Munster performance. Shoot me.

• Advertisement

mystic86 wrote: »
    I thought it was a poor spectacle and a poor Munster performance. Shoot me.

Both teams worked incredibly hard to prevent the other from being able to play the game on their terms. I think Exeter did a better job but ultimately failed to build a score with the slightly better platform they had.

You could say that whilst Exeter won the arm wrestle, Munster won the chess match.

Advertisement